ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snow1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperNova
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Snow1 Reply with quote

Not very original for a title, but it isn't meant to be as it will be one of many maps featured in the upcoming AC Deathmatch wad compiled by myself and Deception.

I took the liberty of adding a .txt including the preferred DMFlags (bear in mind this is preferred as according to the author, this in no way, shape or form means that other flags can't be practiced with as mentioned in the txt; so nobody from Old School or New School train of thought get too butthurt over it).
Hopefully that'll make Cybershark happy.

The main idea of releasing this is to get a feel for our wad, honestly. I'm hoping that the reviews are good so we know we're building something worthwhile. As I so often do, criticize the map to your fullest capabilities. I will not get offended by ideas, merely cheap shots (if applied, of course). LordBritish tested it out with me a few months back, but I've made some modifications to it, so it'll even look a bit new to him if he gets around to seeing it. So yeah, it looks good, feels good has a cool theme! Tell me what you think, bitches!

Snow1.wad: http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/snow1.zip
shinobi-cl
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow1 Reply with quote

SuperNova wrote:

Hopefully that'll make Cybershark happy.

TXT makes server admins happy too, specially when the txt is named similar to the wad file.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SuperNova
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aim to please Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but you didn't! As Shin points out then the text is kinda misnamed, as it's called AC and will get totally lost.

And ah, this map! Pulled this off TT a few months back and wondered where it'd come from. Reminds me a bit of a TLSDM map.
SuperNova
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Yeah but you didn't! As Shin points out then the text is kinda misnamed, as it's called AC and will get totally lost.

And ah, this map! Pulled this off TT a few months back and wondered where it'd come from. Reminds me a bit of a TLSDM map.

Oh I didn't even realize I named it that rofl

And hey, you didn't review it!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. But I did replace your filelink.
SuperNova
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works, too. But still, I was hoping for feedback people!
[WH]-Wilou84
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it with a bot, nice work on texture alignment here ( not only mere alignment but for example your computer panels match the textures' drawn lines, so it looks much more real than what is seen on so many wads ).

Two things I'd mention : those vertical bars near the BFG9000 switch can block a retreating player and be quite annoying. Maybe it's done on purpose though.
And I'd have added a Shotgun somewhere for extra shells :>
Cool map !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SuperNova
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wil!

For the BFG switch, I did it that way so that running back there and trying to use it as a campfest spot will run it's risks. Truth be told, if you saw the original wad, the bars came out much further but I decided to scale them back a bit. It can be annoying, but every map has to have it's annoyances--that's what makes it special because we don't remember the parts on a good map that flow great, we remember the parts that suck and should be avoided!

As far as the shotgun goes for ammo, I can definitely see a need for that and it will be added in as well as some boxes of shells. I do kind of make the mistake of testing wads with infinite ammo on so that I can see how many different BFG tricks can be done, so I guess I forgot to see if additional ammo was needed for other weapons.

And last, I'm not sure what you mean by the computer panels matching texture lines. Perhaps I'm overthinking the original intent of the compliment (I tend to do that). I do well with visualize examples, feel free to elaborate. Nonetheless, thanks!

And thank you for taking the time to go over this for me, I really do appreciate it!
[WH]-Wilou84
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNova wrote:
And last, I'm not sure what you mean by the computer panels matching texture lines.

Yeah it was indeed a compliment :>
You avoided an error that even experienced mappers tend to make a lot. But it's not that important anyway.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'ok Hatred, I didn't get what he meant until I followed the link to Essel's tricks and tips. Wil's talking about textures that are broken up with dividing lines. Many Doom textures have no such lines and you can use them as and when you like, but some should be utilised more cautiously. Examples would be COMPSPAN, the TEKGRENs, etc. It's all about making those textures look as though they actually fit the wall spaces that they're used on.
SuperNova
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, cybie, baby--I need a review on this. Rumor has it that you're just the man to do it (or that you'll find some slave of your to initiate the review for you)!
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raising this from the dead since it didn't get a lot of comments the first time around.

Like what you've done here. I saw lots of detail in spectator mode and was worried this would suffer from lots of bumps protruding from the walls but was surprised that you kept things smooth and made good use of vertices even when the walls didn't curve. The details were great - noticeably present but not interfering.

I admire the layout too. One thing I might have done differently would be to have had a small wall segment at the raised area (that one where the stairs by the exit lead to) for a player to hide behind and maybe a window to peer through so maybe that region of the map isn't so open. Just something I was pondering.

Good job. The balance seemed pretty spot on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: