ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluture - The future is bright, the future is... blue?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Bluture - The future is bright, the future is... blue? Reply with quote

Practice often makes perfect, which is why I have been working on a new map and trying to expand my knowledge as a mapper. After solving an issue with the wad (see wad editing section), I am now posting the map here.

The map is designed for jumping and freelook.
I have gone for a blue/grey theme majoritively with some brick and boxes also.

The wad file can be downloaded here: http://two.xthost.info/wadfiles/bluture.zip

It probably isnt the most impressive thing out there but im trying to home my methods at the minute so bear with me. I'd appreciate anything anyone has to say and look forward to any replies.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just about to take a look in there but I notice the zip contains both faulty and clean versions of the file. I'm guessing you meant to put the text file in instead of the bad version?

And the reason people use FatHax over these other services is because you get an instant link to the file which you can then use in a server. These services where you have to click to download, or enter the characters you see onscreen are just no good for GetWAD.

Oh and the zip currently extracts it to its own subdirectory. That is also messy.

EDIT:

This feels less suited to FFA and is definitely your best duel map yet. The item placement and spawns are good and it certainly plays well with a bot and I hope to have some real games on it soon. And OMG Snipermap with a CG in it at last! That CG room reminds me of that SG room you had in Octabase but I see this time you added a teleport to allow people out another way. Nice touch Smile

Gripes now:
That lower room with the tele to the BFG seems like something that could well grind matches to a halt. Some players might get a kick out of this I suppose, but personally I'd probly have knocked a small window through from where the medikits are so you can see down there. Heh, BFG up on the crates here reminds me a bit of FFactory.

The upper exit from RL room is very clunky and there's just nothing to be gained from dropping down into that cratered area where the map flow just stops dead. The sticky-out lights on the corners of the main platform look like they're just asking for trouble, and there doesn't seem to be quite enough space between the big steps and the back wall. I mean there is but it just doesn't feel right to me somehow.

Visibility from some areas is really hindered by those pillars with candles on. For example if I'm at the back end of the plasma room then I can't really see shit out of that window (and vice-versa).

Theme is cool and nicely executed for the most part. But somehow it looked a bit noobish to me still and I couldn't figure out why at first. It's down to your choice of flats really I think. Things like having a brown crate flat on a grey crate or putting rusty metal onto that grey brick without any sort of transition, but mostly that custom grey tile floor you've used on almost everything. And some 'atmospherics' you could improve are using a different sky, music and having the ceiling height vary a bit around the outside of the map - so it doesn't feel like you're fighting inside a box so much.

From looking at your map in DB I identified one other beginner's error. There's sectors where you've brought the floor up to reach the ceiling to make an impassible wall. Obviously it works like that, but it's a bit tidier if you just delete those sectors. It optimises the map some and makes it less confusing when you come back to look at it.

Heh, that looks like I wrote way more negative than positive but overall it's a really nice piece of work and I just wanted to expound on the areas where you could improve in the future. I've not given 'proper' review scores for quite some time but I'd probably give this 78%. Idk.

Anyways, because it's a dull Saturday afternoon and in an effort to better show you what I'm talking about I messed with your map a bit. Check out my modded version here: http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/bluture_v2.zip
Be sure to compare the maps in DB too and you'll see what I meant about removing those unnecessary sectors.

Last edited by Cybershark on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a look at the version you'd applied some finishing touches to cybershark and I do have to admit they do finish off the map very nicely. I hadn't thought about putting a window down from the plasma area to the BFG teleport and I really liked that idea. (I even didnt have the secondary switch down there to stop you from getting locked in at one point) because I figured if you had elected to go for the BFG you only get one chance to go in and then thats it Razz
But I assumed not many people would like that kind of gameplay and decided to remove the forced-camp-zone. The window you've added finishes this problem off even further, I like it.
I had also originally used the flats on top of the boxes that you replaced mine with, but i didnt think that plain grey flat looked 'boxy' enough a nd so opted to go for a bit of a 'chessboard' method with the boxes in a way.

I would definately consider you're updated version the final version (with your permission) it's far easier for guys like you to finish a map off like that because it's probably just second nature. However, hopefully there will be less and less for people to fix with my maps as time goes on! Laughing

Thanks for the detailed review and fix!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hey, well you know it wasn't my aim to 'finish off' your map. I mean I still wouldn't personally consider it 'finished' as I carried on messing with the RL room afterwards and it could still do with better transitions... Laughing

But yeah, changes... obviously I had to raise up the lower floor slightly to squeeze that new window in. That was one of the bigger things, but I'm glad you could see where I was coming from and appreciated those changes. Also good to know you did put some thought into your crate flats.

Sniper wrote:
it's far easier for guys like you to finish a map off like that because it's probably just second nature

Nah, I mean I have maps here that've been sat around (literally) for years which I never figured out how to conclude. In the case of your map it was just the benefit of getting a fresh perspective on it - that would probably help some of my maps too.

Umm yeah... so idk if anyone else wants to take a look at this map? Either Sniper's or my version I guess!
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
In the case of your map it was just the benefit of getting a fresh perspective on it

Yeah, I guess thats why maps or map-packs that have been jointly made, or that have had input from more than one source can often be some of the best around.

And no I didnt at all think that you were trying to finish it off, I saw it just as a gesture of how I could have tackled some of the things you mentioned in your first post. \o/
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor edit, and a proper upload with a text:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/bluture_v2.zip

Now c'mon! Does no-one even have a comment about the screenies?
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone out there managing servers wants to host this for a week or so, or even a few days, that'd be great. I'd like to get beaten by cybershark there a few times and see what it plays like! Razz

Thanks for the update cyber!
Marax
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i owned cybershark so much on this map-- i cant imagine how much i would own you -- neat map -- i had the feeling im playing a large version of factory though -- p00
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He really did kick my ass there, but it played very nicely.

Code:
<[dp]Marax> nice map
<KyberHai> ur bf made this

And whilst I can make no claims to the quality of the server, it will be around for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: