ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CyberCTF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: CyberCTF Reply with quote

I've been playing Zdaemon for over 5 years, and I've just now decided to start mapping. This is my first map, and will (hopefully) be part of a larger pack I (hopefully) create, but for those of you who don't know me, I tend to disappear mysteriously for months on end. But I digress.

Allow me to lay a few ground rules for the review of this map (I'm calling the shots here). I encourage you to criticize it, but don't just completely rip me. I worked pretty hard on this, and I think it's okay, but I know I can be a lot better as a mapper. Your job is to tell me how. Also, I don't know how to make a readme or a .txt or whatever you're supposed to include with the WAD. All the legal shit. Like, what do I put in there? You can help me with that too. I will take this time to point out that the layout is an original, and all the textures were ripped from idl2010h.wad and doom2.wad. I didn't make any of them and I'm not trying to say I did, so please don't sue me for everything I own.

This is my shout-out section: Big thanks to Killingblair and Hatred for holding my hand and answering every question I had (and there a lot of them). Without these two this map wouldn't be made, and the next two wouldn't be in development. Also thanks to (alphabetically) cha0tix, Goatface, Hatred (again), KBlair (again), mikehail, Shadow_Ghost, strangle and the other people I forgot about for helping playtest and providing feedback. They caught a lot of things that I screwed up on in the early versions, and convinced me to add an SSG.

Time for screenshots?!

This is an actual action shot I took while playing. I think I need to run faster.

A little shot of the walls after a few minutes of gameplay.

The Flag Maze. My pride and joy.

Link: (EDIT) Kruczyslaw was generous enough to reupload my WAD, so a big thanks to Kruczyslaw! http://kruczyslaw.co.cc/wads/cyberctf21b.zip
Name: CyberCTF2_1b
Map: Map02
Flags: Standard CTF flags (whatever those are), WITH SPAWN MONSTERS ON. PLEASE PUT SPAWN MONSTERS ON.
Difficulty: Nightmare
Players: 1-8 (yes, you can play this 1-player). I never had a playtest of more than 2on2, since people don't like me too much, but I imagine 4 would be pretty crazy.

A few tidbits:

The layout is really basic. There are no doors, lifts, or anything. There is a direct line of sight between both flags. This is to optimize the chaos of the cyberdemons. It is like trying to score against a team of Nostars.

Hatred mentioned something about "I will learn the values of 8, 16, 24, 64, etc". Maybe I will one day.

Anyways, that wraps it up, I think. I've written quite enough and I've still probably forgotten something. Hope you all like it and I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback!

EDIT: I would also like to thank [U3]Avatar, because he told me to.
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated link: http://doom.kruczyslaw.cx.cc/wads/cyberctf21b.zip

Last edited by Kruczyslaw on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monsters in CTF maps! \o/ I'll be checking this out.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well firstly I was gonna bitch about name infringement n'stuff. But I guess Cyberdemons were around before me, and if they wanted it named after them then who am I to argue?!

So, woah, that is HECTIC. I was just expecting maybe a couple of cybers in the middle of the map Laughing

The map is very flat, but that makes complete sense with the map being based around line-of-sight rockets. Still, the layout is pretty basic - with it being symmetrical on both axes. But hey, there's no glaring errors and it looks decent so you're a couple steps ahead of most first-timers!

I remember Gollum playing with some monster CTF maps once and it'd kinda be interesting to see a map based around each monster type. But whatever direction you plan to go in, this is a fine start. Sounds like you're in safe hands with those mappers and testers on call!
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad you approve!

I came up with the idea earlier today when chatting with Chain that maybe once I actually learn when I'm doing in doombuilder I will go back and make a "redux" so to speak of all my old maps, and maybe complicate them a little bit. Add some elevation changes, jump pads, details, whatever needs to be there. So be on the lookout for that in a few years!!!
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alot better than my first map.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: