ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OctaBase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: OctaBase Reply with quote

Hello again, last's night's session on Doom Builder was actually quite enjoyable and so I decided to make another duel map, but this time for NS Settings.

This is Octabase, and like the name suggests, the primary arena is based upon an Octagon. Now, I've never been a very good mapper, and most of them have been rubbish; but I played this with someone and I think it flows quite well.

http://two.xthost.info/zdwads/octabase.zip

I'd very much appreciate if anyone has opinions on this map.
Thanks in advance to anyone who checks this out.

Last edited by Sniper on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was your intention or not, but I can certainly see this becoming a very good Free For All map. It has the dynamics for it, think about it. The bfg isn't easy to access, but in the midst of action, it is still accessible. The weapon balance is there, as well as a good amount of space. Which is usually required for an FFA to flow fairly well.

There are some texture issues I don't really like. For one, some of the linedefs lengths are a bit too long for the textures to tile correctly. For example, the Metal Support texture you used seems to run into that. Also, I've found that in order for these to be aligned correctly, you'll need to adjust it by 4 units on the X scale. Don't know if Doombuilder does that for you, just a suggestion.

Also, there is another flat that is cut off due to improper grid arrangement. You have a perfect 90 degree sector that goes down by 16 in ceiling height (that or 8 ). It's the flat with the blue circle light, which is cut off by the 90 degree sector. This is usually a no-no as there are other options you can pursue for a light effect. One of which is using one of the TLite flats and creating a 8x8 circular sector and placing it properly to use one of four lights. It's hard to explain in words, but there are plenty of wads out there you can use to cite examples from.

Also, the gray textures you've used are a bit repetitive. Try using some other textures to spice it up. There's always the option of custom textures to consider along with aligning certain textures in different manners to assume a different effect from the original texture(s). These things take time and experience to learn (something I, myself, am still learning).

But overall, I do like this map. I really feel like this has the potential to be a very solid FFA map. I advise you to continue to map and improve. Be honest with yourself: you can't play doom forever as you will become busy and your schedule will conflict with playing when people are around. The nice thing about mapping is that you can do it on your schedule or whenever you feel like it, so consider it. It is a very relaxing hobby and is a good way to keep involved in not just this community, but the game itself.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, funny to see Hatred getting so pissy about texturing. Can't say that I had that much of a problem with it (although yes, that blue circular light does look hideous cut off like that).

As for gameplay:
Didn't like the SG room, it would have made a much better control point in the map if the SSGs had switched places with regular SGs. As it is then it's quite a deadzone unless someone spawns in there or needs to run in for ammo - but with NM skill then it's going to be a while before anyone does. Throwing the health or some armor in there would make it more critical too.
And why does a map of this scale have no CG? I'm sure I remember bitching about that in an earlier map of yours too

But this is fine for FFA and better than 90% of the 'duel' maps in the new 32in24.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it takes me a little time (in this case, more than two weeks Smile), but I do try to play most things that get posted in this section and type out a reaction. Could you repost the download link? This one is dead a bit. Maybe you could repost Inglorious while you're at it since I would be willing to play that one also.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about sending a PM about this Sniper, but as it applies to others too then I figured I'd come chew your face off in public instead.

Just don't bother dumping stuff in ZDR if you're not going to acknowledge people's comments, or even bother to re-upload the file when asked. Hell, we don't have any evidence to suggest you ever looked in here again after you made your initial post. Same goes for your Inglorious map too.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of self-serving attitude which discourages people from bothering to take time to review or give feedback Mad
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
I thought about sending a PM about this Sniper, but as it applies to others too then I figured I'd come chew your face off in public instead.

Just don't bother dumping stuff in ZDR if you're not going to acknowledge people's comments, or even bother to re-upload the file when asked. Hell, we don't have any evidence to suggest you ever looked in here again after you made your initial post. Same goes for your Inglorious map too.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of self-serving attitude which discourages people from bothering to take time to review or give feedback Mad

Im sorry, Cybershark - I respect you as a mapper but this is quite obsurd. The fact that you made the point that this applies to other people but then posted it to me here personally, adds to this. I just did a little research of my own to see if I was the only Self-Serving poster here and it appears after 30 seconds of looking that im not. If you go about this forum chewing people's faces off every time they dont reply in the time you want them to, you'd be a busy man.

I did however believe the thread to be long gone after your original post, Cybershark and would like to apologise to The Cupboard for not seeing his request.

I would also like to make the point that just because someone hasnt posted back does not mean they do not appreciate people's input.

However - Thanks to those who took the time to look at this, I'd pretty much forgot that it was here and didn't check back. Next time i'll write to 'check the ZDReview forum' in my diary at work.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's a plan! But really, you make it sound like some huge ordeal to remember to check another forum section when you're logged in anyway Laughing

Sure there's plenty of other offenders. Some of them have valid reason, like they only check in on ZD once a year, or they were simply flash-in-the-pan Doomers. But when a ZD regular makes two threads in here within the space of a week and doesn't appear to give a shit about them then I get to wondering why we should. I'd pass the map onto TehCupboard myself but I just don't see the point, y'know?
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kruczyslaw.co.cc/wads/octabase.zip

Last edited by Kruczyslaw on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little thing I liked was the difference in elevation from the octagon to the snaking hallway with the busted ceiling. It makes for a nice barrier to jump over or to use to avoid getting shot at. The shotgun closet is interesting, although I think putting cell ammo and health in there would make it used a little more aside from spawning. I also thought there could have been some pillars or barricades up on the rocket launcher platform so the player isn't completely defenseless up there once he steps out of the teleport. Hmm... Just a thought, anyway.

The visuals were fine for me. It's clear you put some time into making it look nice.

Liked it! Smile
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
A little thing I liked was the difference in elevation from the octagon to the snaking hallway with the busted ceiling. It makes for a nice barrier to jump over or to use to avoid getting shot at. The shotgun closet is interesting, although I think putting cell ammo and health in there would make it used a little more aside from spawning. I also thought there could have been some pillars or barricades up on the rocket launcher platform so the player isn't completely defenseless up there once he steps out of the teleport. Hmm... Just a thought, anyway.

The visuals were fine for me. It's clear you put some time into making it look nice.

Liked it! Smile

Thanks for looking over this, Cupboard. The SG room being un-useful seems to be a recurring theme, so maybe I will have to go back to this and make some changes there. And also the ceiling texture near the top teleport destination.
Thanks for the input,

Shad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: