ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDS #127 - This one's for the old schewlers!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha whoops! One of those weekends...
ManoLO
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konar6 wrote:
About getting more people play ZDS: I'm all for ideas to get more people interested in ZDS, but... are you kidding, ManoLO? Seems like you want to force people play ZDS. It's not a mandatory event.

no. its not a mantdatory event. or...NO. IT IS. you been pilling da pea-point to da centre, konischer junge. IT indeed IS a mandatory event. because every friggin week there is another eXXXotic game to be played - thx to guize like KübaHai & DasRegal - to show off the hilarious gameplay-potential that can be made/enjoyed/hated with partially ültimate conversions of what doom has intended to be played as...and when it comes to therms like "-FORCE-" now: i LOVE & HATE words combining/beginning/ending wit "-FORCE-"...sooo, i am not kidding; im overwhelmingly trés xnoobishly pointing da fact that ZDS is MANDATORY!!
HÜMÜLÜÖTIÖN !
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the IRC solution is a good idea.

<bot> Hi, would you like to join this weeks ZDaemon Session?
<bot> Today we'll be playing "plasdm2.wad"
<bot> Join the highlighted servers on top of your server list
<bot> join #zds for moar informationz

Isn't that the whole idea behing the IRC thingy? Building a community? If people don't want to be bothered with Doom while they are on ZRC, then they should really find another place to cybersex Zombie.
unfy
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

server acquisition by new company has been finalized. i'll work on getting everything stabilized yet again.

yay!
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, Unfy. Your support is always appreciated.

Thanks for all of your input guys. It's clear that there are plenty of people we can still attract to this weekly event; it's just a matter of spreading the word and maybe nudging them in the right direction when we can. Wink
Dark_Odyssey
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL no pun intended, DooMination ... playing DooM is .. err, just .. umm ... DooMination, too *cough*. Ahem. *cough*

And muchos xDeos to the master of foreign communications and nonsense broadcast, Mr. ManoLOL *laut rauslach*

D Ü H M I N Ä I S C H N A N D F R Ä G G I N G !!!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see now...
Firstly I should apologise for quite unceremoniously dumping the ZDS reigns in Cupboard's lap, he is of course under no obligation to continue. Certainly as DM and CTF are not his native environments. It'd be nice if HumanBones could help pick up some of the slack, or even address the current problems

ManoLO wrote:
I am a professional noob in every aspect, but i thought a bit about how to attend more players.

The problem is: ZDS is only announced in this forum & mouth to mouth a bit, but many ZD-users NEVER take a look in here and many players even dont enter IRC. Most users - especially those that are new to ZDaemon - just enter a crowded server on top of Zlauncher list.

Well I used to play the very first iteration of ZDS, and that was before I had even registered on the forums or went near the (non-built-in) irc. I think the main advertising for that came from players promoting it in other servers and possibly from news items that popped up when you started the launcher - God I miss those. Anyways, you gave me one good idea when you said about 'crowded servers'. But e do big up ZDS in #zdplayers each week and for a lot of the custom mods that I've made I've included intermission screens which tell anyone playing that ZDS is a weekly event. A ZDS channel might not be a bad way to go but clearly that would need some promotion too.

Dark_Odyssey wrote:
there is the grim truth of not all ppl ticking the same (which grieves me personally, sometimes, tbh) and living their lives just like this or that, maybe being on holiday, or having a date on saturday evening, or what else. Maybe even just taking a little break from DooMination for a while Laughing

I don't care about people that are doing any of these things. I don't expect anyone to cancel their weekend plans for a few frags, so they're just not a marketable audience. It's the people that are logged in and active that need to be made more aware of the fun alternatives that ZDS offers.

[FEAR]Tobi wrote:
Actually we were playing ZDS - but it was 1-2 hours before it was supposed to start. Razz

The ZDS times are there for a reason - so that everyone can flock to the servers at either of the starting times. Obviously there's no problem with people starting up rogue games on the servers anytime after Saturday night, but it's counterproductive to do so before. And y'know, the session times are not set in stone. US ZDS seems to be at a fairly agreeable time for most folks, but often the Euro scene is dead at 7:30GMT on a Saturday. I've asked people before to tell me if there's a time better suited but no-one was really helpful.

Dark_Odyssey wrote:
...but why not continue, if not at all, only just for those WHO deserve it ?

I agree with Mano here. If we are only getting a small core following then I don't see the point in ZDS. We might just as well hold random events at any time of the week and advertise them solely in #plas and #xxx (where the bulk of the players come from). It'd save us wasting time each week constructing enticing posts about what's on offer.

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:
The other thing that happened originally was that a compilation of maps would be run, and in some cases with maps made especially for it....dunno if that would help nowadays but doing it occasionally might get the mappers involved in it more, as well as encouraging them to turn up and play.

What mappers? Laughing

phenex2 wrote:
ZDS is not dying!

Why not? It's already done so twice before and we've had a far longer run than either of the previous outings. Skulltag's FNF died quite some time back too, and that was not only the model for ZDS but was also much better advertised there. Sinking ship is sinking?
Maybe it should be put in a box to hibernate (along with ZDreview) until the new, beefier website arrives? Let's see how having the Dark Messenger of IRC on board helps.

Konar6 wrote:
Sending a quiet message via server notice as a reminder (as I've seen the testing of it done this night) is ok, but you want to send PMs to everyone on IRC, strangers and people who just doesn't want to play or invite them to some channel, literally annoy them? Mad

This is not the way. It should be done in a less disruptive way.

Are you serious? You think people would object to receiving one automated message a week?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Sessions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: