ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteKnight
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Wireless Issues Reply with quote

Ok I'm seriously pissed off now and I was hoping the Doom community could help me out.

Before I tell you my sob story, my laptop will connect to my router, my PS3 will connect to my router and my Wii will connect to my router so it isn't the router. They are all next to each other.

One day, my PC wasn't loading webpages properly so I reset the router (its a common occurrance in my house) Since then I've not been able to get onto it from my PC.

When I search for networks, ours does appear wit 80% + signal strength. I then proceed to connect to it. It attempts for about half a minute then says it can't find the network. It appears to be picking it up and losing it intermittently.

I've tried *3* different Cards in both PCI slots in the PC so it isn't those.
I've dont a couple of Virus Scans with Microsoft Anti-Spyware
Windows XP machine.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a different WiFi channel on the router setup. That's the most common problem (interference from other devices); at my house for example, I can only use channel 13: any other channel results in hiccups/freezes on the PC that connects via WiFi.
WhiteKnight
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my devices (Laptop, Wii, PS3) are in the same place and they don't have this problem? It's just my desktop PC that does...
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything transmitting/receiving round the back of a tower has never been any good in my experince. Either get a USB dongle (fail), get a larger antenna for the card or see about minimising possible interference (any type of magnets).

A short but heart-warming story, just because it's kind of on topic. My friend had his laptop hooked up to some decent sized external speakers with a woofer on new years. Spotify was banging out some songs but kept stuttering every now and then. After some hours of this my friend remarked how it only happened when over-enthusiastic listeners pushed the volume to max, even though it distorted the hell out of the music. Can you guess what's coming? Yes, although the laptop was about 50 cm away from any speaker, the magnets in them were strong enough to disrupt the laptops wifi when they were at full. Now, I'm not suggesting that you like your music at ear bleeding levels, but it's a solid example that shows stuff like this actually happens and isn't something call centre folk read off a transcript for the hell of it.

Good luck :p
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im wired via network cable to my router at the moment. However there are 2 other PC's in the house which use the wireless access point I've set up. My router is sitting on top of one my rather large Hi-Fi speakers, also about 3cm away from my HDTV speakers. Can this affect a wired connection in any way, or is it only wireless that speakers can interfere with?
WhiteKnight
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably depends on if your cable is screened and I dont think they are. They're just a bunch of twisted pairs and it's only really electrical interferance which is unlikely in your setup.

Back to my issue and I'm now 90% certain it's a Windows issue. Any ideas on that one? I've turned off WZC to stop constant searching and I'm using the Hardware's software (NETGEAR) to search for wireless networks.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try cable
MetalBlack
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a very similar problem before. What I did was change the channel in the router setup, moved my router to a higher location and moved it away from the cordless phone since I heard that could fuck up the waves that are emitted. If that doesnt work than It probably is a windows error which is pretty weird.
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't think your issue has to do with the distance factor of antenna reciprocity but maybe your orientation of the plain which is another possible cause.

If you can see your router in your networking settings which I think you said you did. Then the problem isn't your adapter its probably reciprocity orientation issue or a channel interference issue. Since your other devices are connected and you computer isn't I will say double check the signal pattern in the specs and adjust it accordingly and in addition to that get a program to see what RF signal is traveling through your area and see what channel and frequency they are transmitting at. Do you have bluetooth? These devices are capable of also causing interference depending on which standard of wifi you are using to transmit.

So your router does it have antenna rubber ducky's sticking out of it?
If yes make sure that the antenna are pointed straight up on the same plain. When you have two antenna and if diversity is set only one of the antenna will be set to receive but both are able to transmit. This means if your client machine is not in the same plain as the receiving antenna that your reciprocity will be off. In other words you can see the signal but it cannot see you. Another obvious factor at least with Cisco equipment and manufacturers who follow best practices is that you can tell you frequency by the spacing of your antenna. 2.4GHz will be placed 5 inches apart where as 5.8 GHz will be places two inches apart. This is due to the amplitude of the wave lenngth for each frequency. If you are using the standard 802.11n this does not apply because it has multiple in and out capabilities and it looks for response in 400ns instead of 800ns (nano seconds). So after you if applicable adjust your antenna on your router you should adjust the antenna on your adapter which I am assuming has an omnidirectional wave pattern as well as you router this should be facing directly up as well. now take note that metalblack said something about moving his equipment around it is very well possible you might have to move your router slightly away from you machine because the word omnidirectional on a vertically non tiltiing downward polarization antenna doesnt really create the signal pattern of a sphere. The signal pattern is more like a donut. this means if you take 2 90degree angled alligator mouths and place them with open mouth out on either side of your antenna that is the signal pattern it will create keeep in mind that the pattern will get larger the father you move from the antenna and the dBm reading will go down by 3 every time you lose at least half the Miliwatts in power. So try making these adjustments then attempting to connect again. If you don't have an rubber ducky antenna on your router then you will have to look at your spec sheet and see how it is polarized and make your adjustments that way. Without the model numbers and the spec sheets for all your wireless equipment that is as far as I can go.

If you can get online somehow live I could kinda walk you through it in person, this is actually part of what I get paid to do. Sorry for my grammar but i wrote this fast and im too lazy to make corrections. Cool
WhiteKnight
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to chase you up on that Beast. I'll try and find you on IRC then we can have a chat. I've got access to the internet on a laptop. I presume you work a full day so it might have to be a late one for me Razz
RTB
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enVision wrote:
Either get a USB dongle (fail)

Get that n come duel me.
WhiteKnight
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTB wrote:
enVision wrote:
Either get a USB dongle (fail)

Get that n come duel me.

Just logged into a server using my phone (3G) and scored a lovely 145ping to France. It did do a 3 second freeze every couple of minutes though so no, I will not be playing off a USB dongle. We don't get any 3G signal where we live anyway Very Happy
RTB
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is with mobile broadband is if you get the right area it really ain't that bad but you will always get some sort of random delay which fucks up so many good opportunities. For example I've nearly beaten james and titan on various games with it but then I can lose against lower skilled players. Also reasons why I'm the biggest hazard in ctf known to date.

GL with your wireless problems tho if not nick your sisters pc at 8pm.
WhiteKnight
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I daren't go in there it stinks.
I can play but I'm on a laptop which is on it's last legs (due for replacement this summer though)
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteKnight wrote:
I might have to chase you up on that Beast. I'll try and find you on IRC then we can have a chat. I've got access to the internet on a laptop. I presume you work a full day so it might have to be a late one for me Razz

Yes I think your across the Atlantic so 9 for me is like 2 or 3 am for you.....w/e I will be out with the frat tonight so please don't stay up but on Friday I will probably be online you can catch me on oftc or quakenet if your not familiar with those I can get on zdirc just let me know. I heart figuring out wireless issues I will be applying for wireless administrator at my current company soon. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: