ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adjust Intermission Length

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goatface
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Adjust Intermission Length Reply with quote

It would be nice to control the length of time an intermission(time between games) lasts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I thought you didn't like having intermissions of varying lengths?

j/k man. And no I didn't remember that thread offhand, I was just sure that somebody mentioned something like this before but couldn't find what I was looking for in my search.

As I recall this guy wanted to be able to extend the intermission period solely because he wanted people to have to sit though the wentirety of his intermission music. That was pretty ridiculous but I can see uses for this function too. For instance if I'm making objective-based team maps then I might want to put differing instructions up on screen during the inters and ensure that people have enough time to read them.

That all sounds like a good idea to me, and something that would be added to MAPINFO defintions inside WADs (alongside the way you can currently specify which music/pictures to use between certain maps). Goat, I suspect you'd prefer to see it added as a server variable - can you perhaps give us an example of why you would like to be able to mess with the default 15sec delay?
mikehail
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Goat had in mind (if he doesn't mind me chiming in Smile) is to have a short break between competitive games (specifically IDL) that allows for teams to recoordinate if needed without giving away crucial information. I imagine it would have other uses as well, however, this is the primary use I can think of. It would allow these teams to make quick changes to lineups while not really breaking the rythym of the game with a very long break and an rcon map reset (which can disconnect players and when you GO on start you can see how this can be bad)
Goatface
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I don't mind long intermissions, it's just that when it takes me a minute+ and everyone else goes instantly I get annoyed Wink .

Yes, the primary use I had in mind was for IDL(along with team chat during intermission, see other request) so teams could gather themselves and prepare for the next round. I can think of a few other uses too. For instance quick games like omgmaps(or really any game) where you might want to just get right into it, no break from the action. Current intermission time is 20 seconds, and admittedly I don't know much about coding, it seems like this would be relatively easy to implement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikehail wrote:
It would allow these teams to make quick changes to lineups while not really breaking the rythym of the game with a very long break and an rcon map reset (which can disconnect players and when you GO on start you can see how this can be bad)

Use map reset vote instead?

As for removing intermission... sure, I guess that could have applications too. But it's always nice to have a bit of banter, insult the winners, etc between games Razz
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:

What he said!

If you really just ask for this feature to have a longer break between games
I think it's better to use what is already implemented.
The reset vote was meant, among other things, for exactly this scenario.
Before you play your matches just make a deal that the real game starts always after a reset vote.

This actually makes your breaks more dynamic and easier to control than
a static extended intermission, that can't be set to a perfect value to guarantee
all players are ready by then.

mikehail wrote:

[...] rcon map reset (which can disconnect players [...])

I know the problems you speak of and also had them in the past .
Never encountered any problems with the current version and map reset though.
If it's still a problem in the current version, maybe a fix for the reconnect
would be better than a new feature to circumvent it.

With all that being said I think the other request for say_team during intermission is obsolete Razz
Goatface
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well map voting is disabled on IDL servers because of potential abuse. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to change the map to avoid losing and expect to get away with it, but if there's a disagreement about how long to wait it would've been nice to have a way to control it. I understand why this isn't exactly a priority, since it only affects leagues, but for better or for worse the IDL is here to stay. Just give it some thought.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol? Why the hell would the opposition vote YES if a vote was called midgame? That doesn't even make sense that anyone would attempt that, you'd have to be seriously thick to even think of it.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goatface wrote:
Well map voting is disabled on IDL servers because of potential abuse.

I can see a potential for abuse in public servers. In clan matches or leagues
I would assume people to be very well behaved. Simply introduce a rule
that obvious vote abuse will be punished with disqualification.
Apart from that the voting in Zdaemon can be set up,
so that abuse is impossible (e.g. 2/3 majority), unless BOTH teams abuse the voting.

Goatface wrote:
[...] but if there's a disagreement about how long to wait it would've
been nice to have a way to control it.

You just defined the purpose for reset voting there!
Other games like QuakeWorld have ready voting, which is in a way
the same thing as reset voting here.

Goatface wrote:
I understand why this isn't exactly a priority, since it only affects leagues,
but for better or for worse the IDL is here to stay. Just give it some thought.

First of all it affects every kind of clan war, tourney or any other semi serious game you can think of,
so there is no need to elevate the IDL from all that.

Secondly it's not a priority, because it isn't an issue at all, since it can be solved
in a much better and flexible way with what is already implemented.
mikehail
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is already going to be done if I understand correctly, but just in case I will clarify a little better here.

Cybershark wrote:
mikehail wrote:
It would allow these teams to make quick changes to lineups while not really breaking the rythym of the game with a very long break and an rcon map reset (which can disconnect players and when you GO on start you can see how this can be bad)

As for removing intermission... sure, I guess that could have applications too. But it's always nice to have a bit of banter, insult the winners, etc between games Razz

From my personal experience, map reset is the thing which most often disconnects players, along with some specific maps like zdctf04, so this is something we would like to avoid if at all possible (breaking up the flow of the game, wasting time, temporary power play, etc) As for removing the intermission, I do not think we had any desire to do that, as you generally need to take a few moments to collect yourself between games and prepare for the next game.

phenex2 wrote:

This actually makes your breaks more dynamic and easier to control than
a static extended intermission, that can't be set to a perfect value to guarantee all players are ready by then.

Our hope was, to actually set something up where players can easily regulate themselves in case a ref isn't present. The problem with dynamic breaks is, what if one team wants a longer break? What if the other team has to leave shortly? If we set up a static break players know about it beforehand and can properly allot time for these games without any major surprises. Also, if players cannot join between these games stats won't be mucked up by anything they might do during these breaks.

phenex2 wrote:
mikehail wrote:

[...] rcon map reset (which can disconnect players [...])

I know the problems you speak of and also had them in the past .
Never encountered any problems with the current version and map reset though.
If it's still a problem in the current version, maybe a fix for the reconnect
would be better than a new feature to circumvent it.

With all that being said I think the other request for say_team during intermission is obsolete Razz

I personally encounter them fairly regularly, perhaps its an issue with ping? I seem to encounter them more often in european servers where I ping ~250ms and less often in american servers where I ping ~140ms. With that said, I get disconnected much less frequently between normal map changes. Of course, I know its not a priority, I just merely wanted to flesh it out a little bit. Thanks! Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikehail wrote:
As for removing the intermission, I do not think we had any desire to do that, as you generally need to take a few moments to collect yourself between games and prepare for the next game.

Oh, so longer intermissions are approved for inclusion in future iterations of ZD by the high-and-mighty IDL governing body, but shorter ones are not? You'll have to pardon me for trying to see a bigger picture here and how making this dynamic could best suit everyone.

Also y'know, if you look back you'll notice that it was Goatface who first made mention of no intermission (for FFA) and I was simply replying to him Wink
mikehail
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:

Oh, so longer intermissions are approved for inclusion in future iterations of ZD by the high-and-mighty IDL governing body, but shorter ones are not? You'll have to pardon me for trying to see a bigger picture here and how making this dynamic could best suit everyone.

Also y'know, if you look back you'll notice that it was Goatface who first made mention of no intermission (for FFA) and I was simply replying to him Wink

Haha, wow, are you serious? First of all, I have no problem with no intermissions, I was merely clarifying that we would have no interest in that of itself and since we (goat and myself) made the initial request I thought it wise that be clear. I apologize, I hadn't initially noticed that in his post so I guess that is my bad. I do not understand the hostile way you have reacted to me, I am not dictating anything, merely providing reasons and attempting to clarify the way I view things so the devs can best fulfill this request IF they do decide to do so. Again, I say thanks, it is truly appreciated.
Ladna
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, we can solve this problem totally without support in ZDaemon itself. It's just more difficult. We were hoping for a feature to be added to ZDaemon that would make our lives easier, and map reset voting doesn't really fill that need (players can simply stall to get more time, or it can cause disputes that sap the time of the administration).

And Cybershark I think you're an alright guy, but I'm kind of tired of you sniping every post made by an IDL admin. I don't know what we did to you but we're really not bad people. You should drop by some time, #idl, quakenet. Perhaps you'll also be pleased to know that we have a huge compilation WAD made from... lots and lots of different CTF wads. In fact I don't even think 1, 4 or 8 are in this season's schedule. You do matter!
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok everyone just calm down a bit.

when i understood right you want something like a server cvar
(e.g. sv_intermissiontime) where one can set the length of the
intermission in seconds. is that right?
if not, correct me please and give me a proper specification.

i'll talk it over with kilgore and we'll see what will come from it.
Goatface
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what we want. Thank you.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladna wrote:
I'm kind of tired of you sniping every post made by an IDL admin. I don't know what we did to you but we're really not bad people.

The IDL ran over two of my cats in their tourbus this onetime and it's been all about payback ever since then.

mikehail wrote:
Haha, wow, are you serious?

See above. Really, it's been a long time since I had any complaint with the IDL. Bitching that all you guys play is ZDCTF would be as outdated as complaining that all anyone plays deathmatch on is DW5.

Sorry Mike, idk, just something in the way you phrased that post ("we do not desire") just came off as incredibly pompous sounding - and that's coming from me Laughing
I know that the request came from you guys but I think there's more benefit to discussing all the angles on it - longer/shorter/no intermissions.

Personally, if this option were to be added then I'd like to see it done mapside also, alongside variables like jumping, aircon, gravity which can be handled via MAPINFO or in the server setup.

Re the map reset suggestion: all I can state from my own limited experience of competitive play is that it's been fine for any tourney I've been part of.
mikehail
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not upset about it, just a misunderstanding Smile

I merely phrased it in that way because I figured since we were requesting a feature, the devs would want to know specifically what we had in mind and could more easily perform this thing! I am happy it is all sorted out though.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
240. New server CVAR "sv_intermissiontime" that lets you adjust the
     intermission time from 3 to 300 seconds. This is restricted to
     private OR passworded servers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: