ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDS #116 - Pillars to the horizon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: ZDS #116 - Pillars to the horizon Reply with quote

10sector is a collaborative SP mapping project that popped up on Doomworld about nine years ago. The major imposed limitation was this: all maps submitted had to be created using only ten sectors. Shocked The results were pretty astonishing. There are cases in which some maps look like they were created with way more sectors than what really exist. The vertices and linedefs are numerous but the sector count is an impressive '10' the whole way through.

It's really an impressive display of creativity. The huge restriction has, for the most part, brought out some surprising designs and interesting fights. I had not seen such commendable pillars, beams, columns, and support structures until I saw this wad. Laughing There are some cool bridges worth checking out, too. Some of you might be concerned that the levels are going to be very dull. Well - they're not. Razz You'll see some Boom sector and linedef actions along the way and the maps have a fair amount of detail.

DoomerMrT's smooth weapon animations will get some face time here, too. 10SECTOR GOG0GO

EDIT: I forgot to add a music wad, so here's darkhard...

Game Mode: COOP
IWAD: Doom 2
PWADs: 10sector
pk_weapons_zd_v2a
darkhard

Maps: 18 (01-07, 10, 12, 18-22, 24, 26-28]
DMFLAGS: 114724/1179842
Skill: 3 - Ultraviolence
Timelimit: No
Players: 8 (+2 spectator slots)
Voting: Kick, Map

Date: Saturday 21st November
Time: 7:30pm UK Time / 9:00 pm EST
Locations: L@P/Kruk/XXX/ Unfy/3-BET

Server hosts can link to Fathax (Put 'http:\\wadhost.fathax.com/files/getwad.php/%s' in as the URL link).

Last edited by TheCupboard on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:12 am; edited 10 times in total
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Cuppy we trust! Not going to spoil the maps for myself before the night Smile

And heh, I was gonna throw Doomer's weapon animations into the d2reload sesh but for there was some sound clash someplace - besides, we already had like 9 different PWADs in there Laughing
BlackShark
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, no 2SECTORS?
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wad looks interesting, not sure about the weapon mod however. I'll give it a chance anyway. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a weapon mod as such, more like an enhancement and I'd be incredibly surprised if you have a problem with it.

BlackShark wrote:
heh, no 2SECTORS?

Pull me a maplist that'd be playable and interesting for 8+ players and we'll talk.

Also, reading back over Cupboard's initial spiel then it occurs to me that it's written almost wentirely in mapgeekspeak. Lemme translate some:
A sector is an area which is given certain set properties: light level, floor and ceiling heights, gfx used on floor and ceiling. A sector is not limited to being just one area though, any parts of the map with the same properties may be part of that same sector. This does have complications with moving floors (lifts n'such) and sounds carrying over.

So hopefully non-mappers will now have a better understanding of why projects like this can be cool and challenging Very Happy
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Laughing Someone add a "Cupboard to English" option to Babel Fish?
unfy
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!!!!!

I LOVED 10SECTOR WHEN IT WAS RELEASED!

Kdoom's two maps were absolutely kick ass (map07/map12).

And I'm fucking stuck here at work tonight would i could be loving on some 10sector goodness Sad Sad Sad

^#@#*^!@()#%!@(^!@(^!@*$

at any rate, server is up, bastards Sad
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and TheCupboard were attending to the European session. It clearly appeared 10sector.wad isn't exactly designed for multiplayer. We had to use callvote regularly because we got stuck on many maps. Razz That didn't spoil my fun though, I found the maps very creative. Well, most of them that is. Also, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to swallow my words about the weapon mod. The weapon was actually pretty good, so I'm glad I gave it a chance. On top of that, many people joined in on the European session, so I guess we can conclude this was a successful session after all. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US session went really well, played for about two hours. The maps went fairly quickly, and we didn't experience any problems while I was there.

So yes, I would say success too!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm yeah, I think we only had to vote off one or two maps (and that Sistemas guy for being a dick).

The earlier maps in particular were not great for co-op. They also didn't give much chance for you to appreciate how few sectors there were as they were over rather soon. I can't remember numbers of maps later on which I particularly enjoyed but there were a couple with lots of nukage or lots of lifts whch definitely stood out.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooffh...

Yeah, so the continent of Europe really took one on the chin there. When drawing up the maplist, I failed to account for a score of maps that would break on multiplayer. Generally, the more innovative maps tended to collapse the worst. The kind of good thing that came out of it was that Ronald and the rest of the Euro players allowed me to get through a bunch of the maps and find which ones would break so there would be a sensible maplist for the western hemisphere a few hours later. Heh, so Ronald isn't crazy here. Smile

So yeah, I hope things go smoother next time. I don't have as much time to test these SP megawads as I would like. I try to slog through a good chunk of them but sometimes I don't die often enough to notice that something totally breaks (a door closes forever, a floor raises up, a lift doesn't come back down, etc.) Maybe I'll get volunteers or bots to keep me company next time. Razz

GGs! And the consensus was that the weapons animations were poppin'. Very Happy
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
Maybe I'll get volunteers or bots to keep me company next time. Razz

You know where to find me. Wink
Killemall
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zomgkillcame

Aside from the lifts going broke on some of the maps, this is a great pack to play, lots of fun

I'm out of town this weekend, see you all in 2 weeks Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Sessions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: