ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ChaosCore Presents: CoreCTF
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: ChaosCore Presents: CoreCTF Reply with quote

This is a CTF project made by Caboose 2007, meant to be a 1 map project. His cousin GaX started to make some maps, so Caboose had started to compete with him they started to insert maps into OAFCTF. Later ChaosCore member Collision came and started helping mapping and decided to join ChaosCore. Having almost the map pack done, they decided to trash all the maps but two new ones they made, and it seems as if that decision was for the better. I stepped into the picture this October when I returned to dooming all together. I got messages from various players asking me about my previous maps, and I decided to open Doombuilder again. I had some disagreements with the Zdectf Team which lead to my maps being removed from the wad next release, I went to start my own CTF untill then I join ChaosCore and Caboose ask me to lead the project along side him. I added those 2 maps to the pack and made 3 new ones aswell.

Enough with story time Razz

Project Lead: GhoulSlayeR CabooseA7X

Authors : GhoulSlayeR CabooseA7X Collision HeavenWraith Gax Whopper Xenaero

Code:
Description       A set of 12 highly competetive maps for the Capture the Flag Gamemode of Zdaemon & Skulltag  Designed with 4on4 in mind, yet some maps are good for 3on3 while others can go up to 6on6. 3 out of the 12 maps also feature the railgun weapon modification that replaces the chainsaw. We choose the Chainsaw instead of the shotgun to preserve the classic Doom CTF feel in maps that do not feature the railgun.

Code:
" Map List "

Map01: Data Core Delta: By GhoulSlayeR            / 3on3 to 4on4 recommended

Map02: Grilled Temples: By HeavenWraith             / 3on3 to 4on4 recommended

Map03: Oafuckin CTF: By Caboose                   / 3on3 to 4on4 recommended

Map04: Geothermal: By GhoulSlayeR                 / 4on4 recommended

Map05: Plan B: By Collision                       / 4on4 recommended

Map06: Castles n' Caves: By Gax                   / 4on4 to 5on5 recommended

Map07: Deimos Hazzard Zone: By GhoulSlayeR        / 3on3 to 4on4 recommended

Map08: Phobos Bunkers: By Caboose                 / 4on4 recommended

Map09: Castle Rush: By GhoulSlayeR                / 3on3 to 4on4 recommended

Map10: Strogg Outpost: By Collision               / 4on4 recommended

Map11: Isolation: By Caboose                      / 3on3 to 4on4 recommended

Map12: StarShip Doomers: By GhoulSlayeR           / 2on2 to 3on3 recommended

Download Link UPDATED : http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/CCoreCTFmp1a.zip

Last edited by GhoulSlayeR on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:41 am; edited 4 times in total
Xenaero
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really a fun mappack to play on. Railgun abuse is glorious. Maps are pretty balanced and I fully encourage server admins to give this a whirl.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, that sure came around fast! I was expecting months more betas Surprised
Also I just have to stop and lol at the name. I keep reading it as 'CoreyCTF' Razz

Anyways, this looks great to me. Feels quite like ZDECTF in a number of ways. My magic 8-ball says 'ZDS real soon!'.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really solid mappack you guys have here. There's nothing really to really pick at, everything about each map is solid and well-designed.

What I do have to comment on here is the simplicity of most of the maps. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing in this regard. A lot of times, people go on with developing CTF maps and making them complicated, big, and overall just difficult to play. In a lot of senses, you don't want that in CTF as maps like that typically result in stalemates and choppy gameplay. Needless to say, that's not what anyone is looking for.

The flow of these maps appear to be stellar and up-tempo, which is perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of railguns, but hey, that's just my opinion and always will be Razz. But it does fit in these maps and can be used for great tactical support and control. So, more power to you!

I mentioned the detail and design: very impressive. I'm not going to lie, I didn't know half of the people who created some of the maps could map, and they turn out to do an excellent job. So yeah, that makes it even more stunning. Good job guys, I really hope some server admins step up and host this because this is definitely a keeper.
Caboose
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Feels quite like ZDECTF in a number of ways.

according to GhoulSlayeR, that's an insult.

EarthQuake wrote:
Wow...

is that a good wow?

SuperNova wrote:
This is a really solid mappack you guys have here. There's nothing really to really pick at, everything about each map is solid and well-designed.

What I do have to comment on here is the simplicity of most of the maps. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing in this regard. A lot of times, people go on with developing CTF maps and making them complicated, big, and overall just difficult to play. In a lot of senses, you don't want that in CTF as maps like that typically result in stalemates and choppy gameplay. Needless to say, that's not what anyone is looking for.

The flow of these maps appear to be stellar and up-tempo, which is perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of railguns, but hey, that's just my opinion and always will be Razz. But it does fit in these maps and can be used for great tactical support and control. So, more power to you!

I mentioned the detail and design: very impressive. I'm not going to lie, I didn't know half of the people who created some of the maps could map, and they turn out to do an excellent job. So yeah, that makes it even more stunning. Good job guys, I really hope some server admins step up and host this because this is definitely a keeper.

We were aiming to have a mixture of detail and gameplay, we didn't want to over do the complexity, to make it look simple enough for players and still have good gameplay. It took us awhile to get this right, but I think we finally did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/CCoreCTFmp1a.zip

Server

Last edited by Kruczyslaw on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
Caboose
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the download link is in the first post, and it works fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Server is up....Have fun kids Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caboose wrote:
Cybershark wrote:
Feels quite like ZDECTF in a number of ways.

according to GhoulSlayeR, that's an insult.

Hahaha, yeah lotta bad feelings there it seems. But no, overall then this definitely appears better than the first release of ZDECTF did.

I remember seeing an old version of Oaf and talking to you about the possibility of having it on ZDS, and how you said you were going to tear most of it all up. I honestly didn't expect anything more would ever surface but I'm glad you guys went the extra mile!

Caboose wrote:
EarthQuake wrote:
Wow...

is that a good wow?

If it wasn't you'd know about it Smile
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check this out later when I have the time
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download Link Updated, Hopefully no more errors in map06 and map11 now, a very special thanks to EarthQuake for getting to the bottom on it.
shinobi-cl
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, great maps you got there... haven't played them yet, but they seem well balanced...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SoulPriestess
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent map pack! I like it. ^^
Caboose
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest version now hosted on unfy and Rampage. looking to have a European server hosted, along with more hosts! :]
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=12923

In case you guys didn't notice Smile

EDIT: As a result of that sesh then I can now give some real reviewage of the contents Smile

The general credo here seems to be stylish (but not overdone) visuals on top of uncomplicated (but not unexciting) maps.

Map01 - Great opener here with a map that's easily accessible to the smallest number of players. It was noted that it could be a bit of a spawncampfest but then we were playing it with an excessive number of people. Gotta say when I first played this the whole invisible bridge thing bugged me, but after that I was used to it and it seemed natural enough.

Map02 I wanted to like more. The whole design is good but the flagrooms just annoyed me hugely in actual game. The rest of the map is well proportioned but then you get to that tight little staircase and the slopes and steps which are all crammed into the flag chamber itself. We were rocking a pretty full house there again but still I think it should've been made a bit more open there.

Map03 is very smooth and uncluttered. Lotta long straight runs possible here. It's just big, chunky and impossible to dislike I think.

Map04 was the first map that really annoyed me as there's a lot of dead ends, a weird lift and bad base colouration all here. Oh and the map just seems to me to be built quite counterintuitively. Definitely not first-timer friendly but really much of that could have been avoided if the author hadn't insisted on filling the blue base with red rock/lava/other dripping stuff. GG Ghoul Razz

Map05 I just plain loved. This one clearly dates back to OafCTF although a good deal has changed for this version. This map now deserves every ounce of mainstream acceptance that the ZDCTF maps have. Pure gold.

Map06 was something pretty different. It kinda reminds me of TLSXCTF maps 2 and 7 - but turned inside out. It's kinda fresh to be able to roam all the way around the perimeter of the map at different levels. The addition of a railgun to this map turns this deadly and means if you want to keep that flag you'll have to keep moving. You'll probably want quite a few friends for this one.

Map07 is the first of Ghoul's reused maps from ZDECTF. It seems to be exactly the same here and as it's recently been selected for Thad's third Vendetta tourney then it should be obvious it's kinda decent. Very busy visually but with the low lighting it doesn't hurt the gameplay of this solid layout.

Map08 is quite wicked too and is the only other carryover from the original OafCTF. It's expansive but essentially quite straightforward - see above note about map05.

Map09 is Ghoul's second piece of salvage from ZDECTF. Here it's in a rather truncated form. with the whole rocky outside/sphere area all gone now. It seems a bit too linear to me and rather gruelling now, still that was probably from me overdoing the playercount. The arrangement of the lifts, stairs and some of those floaty platforms really don't always make complete sense though.

Map10 really irked me first time I played it. It's titled 'Strogg Outpost' and hence goes with a Quake texturing theme. The problem with that for me is it means you're always gonna spawn in a rusty room filled with dirty crates - the colour palette used for the WAD doesn't help here as the saturation of the other colours is turned down. But hey, once you can get past this and figure out your position then a joyous map full of just the right amount of hide'n'seek, rail sniping and teleport fun awaits you!

Map11 is pretty spiffy. You really get to let rip with projectiles here for a change but the map is largescale, with enough twists and turns to handle that. I have a small visual criticism about how the wire fences used in the windows always bleed into their floors, it's offputting when you're looking out of one from upclose.

Map12... well, there had to be one comedy map I guess. I'm not sure if I was meant to have a straight face for it though. I mean on the one hand it's just this small and sweaty SSG fest (which is ok every now and again). Butttt... there's chainguns and regular SGs placed here too, only without the space to wield them usefully. So yeah, not sure if we should be laughing with or at this one...

So there's a few things bug me but this is probably the CTF pack of 2009 and if I was gonna put a number on this it'd be something like 87% Smile
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caboose wrote:
the download link is in the first post, and it works fine.

actually, it does not. speedyshare redirects people with certain IP ranges to some fucking ad site. i had to use kruk's mirror.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, look I've replaced everybody's links with this one:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/CCoreCTFmp1a.zip

It seemed the most sensible thing to do as the file Kruk was linking to is now outdated.
TheMionicDonut
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I played on it (albeit single player) I rather liked what I saw.

One random question is why are there a few other people on the author list that didnt make maps? That just kind of confused me.

That said, I'm glad this thing saw the light of day. Smile
Caboose
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Map08 is quite wicked too and is the only other carryover from the original OafCTF. It's expansive but essentially quite straightforward - see above note about map05.

Actually shark. map08 was a scrapped layout, map03 was another carry over from OAFCTF with some fixes to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: