ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error on a specific map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caboose
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Error on a specific map Reply with quote

Now, as of late. We've been having beta testing on a wad that is in construction. One of the specific maps seems to kick people out with the error message of "Z_malloc error, falled allocation of -168 bytes". Now the error only happens to specific people, /Considering I didn't get booted myself off of my quadcore PC, we believe that people with lower spec computers cant handle the map. How exactly would I go about fixing this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kitty
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not limited to people with "lower spec" computers. I mean, mines not top of the line, but I do have a dual core processor and I was getting that same error on that map. So it must be something else.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the people who experience the crashes and find out what they have in common. This is a memory-related error. It generally means that the server or client needs to set aside some memory for something in the game, and it's just not available. The -187 bytes is a bit strange though. Sounds like some sort of buffer overflow or bug in the engine somewhere, although it could be something as simple as an improperly built wad file.

So, this map... can you give me the statistics regarding it? Number of sidedefs, segs, sectors, and ssectors? Also how large is the reject table and the blockmap? What are the X/Y coordinate ranges?
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that a lot of people have mentioned this error message lately in irc.
maybe you could post that one map that seems to cause trouble.
it would be even better, if someone managed to figure out how to reproduce the crash.
Kitty
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wasn't much to reproduce. For me, I joined the server and after a couple seconds I was booted from the server with that error.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Got it.

Your wad mixes textures and flats. All flats need to have their own unique name independent of all the texture names (actual patch lump names are irrelevant). You're going to have to go through the wad and manually separate this stuff.

Since ZDaemon is probably never going to support mixing textures and flats, because changing the renderer is required, it's up to you guys to fix this.

Please, for the LOVE OF GOD, do not mix textures and flats. You guys should know better than this. The engine uses different lump formats for textures than it does for flats. You're going to have to edit the maps as well, because I spotted quite a few places where you guys did this.
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested this theory myself on a map that gave me this error, what I did it replaced ALL the flats in the map with "Flat1" and no more crash, I would suggest others to try this out and see if it is a flat/texture problem 100%.
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthQuake wrote:
Please, for the LOVE OF GOD, do not mix textures and flats. You guys should know better than this.

The wise EQ has spoken. If you wish your wad to be compatible with both ST and ZD, the best way to go about it is to attain ZD compatibility first and ST second. A newer ZDoom will in most cases support older lumps/tech, but not the other way around.
Caboose
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I didn't think to much of it all because when I tested the maps they ran fine for me. What really happened was, HeavenWraith made his map in skulltag mode and used textures as flats and flats as textures in his map, so converting them, I thought it would be okay to use the same name since they aren't the same, but apparently not. Oh well, all is fixed. Thank you EQ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Solar_Flare
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm one of my buddies got this Z_malloc error on zdctf map 4 on NODE-3.net servers, how would that theory fit this situation?

Edit: Because I don't want to make another post I just wanted to mention that a few days ago I had gotten the error myself. The only thing is that it was my first time getting the error since it came out, and I was using the latest launcher(because I still use 1.08.07 and have NEVER gotten it.) It occured when I went idle in a server because I was needed else where and I came back to the message on my computer, I'm not aware of how long it took for the error to occur within the two hours I was away but the number of bytes in my error was over 10,000. So when I get home I'll test the exact same thing but demo this time in a ctf server(since that is where it happened) and inform people of what happened.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: