ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

map voting with no maplist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinobi-cl
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: map voting with no maplist Reply with quote

Hi...

I just noticed that today. I can't see a reason for this limitation.

In my case, i want to have a wad where every map returns to map01, then the players can 'callvote' for the map they want. (map01 being like map00 on zddl1.3.wad)

So the request is: If no maplist is specified, allow voting for any map in the wadfile.

To make things clearer,...

i have this MAPINFO
Code:

map MAP01 "Map Selection"
levelnum 1
music D_MMAP00
next MAP01

map MAP02 "Shotgun Arena"
levelnum 2
music D_STALKS
next MAP01

map MAP03 "Dark Surprise"
levelnum 3
music D_COUNTD
next MAP01

That means "start in map01, vote for a map (02 or 03), play that map, go back to map01, vote again..."

Since using a maplist overrides the choice in MAPINFO, this breaks the intended wad behavoir.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Shin!

I remember finding this out one ZDS when I asked Stealth to enable voting on his server and he said it wasn't possible without a maplist.

Funnily, just yesterday Tobi was asking me if he should add one of the 'hidden' maps from 3wayCTF into the regular rotation. I'd prefer that he not, as it kinda defeats the purpose of it being an 'Easter Egg' in the WAD. But the (current) alternative is that no-one will then ever get to play it. Ideally then I'd like it to not come up in the rotation but still be able to be voted for.

Code:
<phenex2> if a maplist is present it should only allow those maps. with no maplist all maps can be voted for. maybe thats how it should be?

Agreed!
shinobi-cl
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same subject, a "negative maplist" would be useful too.... to remove buggy maps, for example... or simply maps that the server admin does not like

something like

Code:
banmap MAP11 "this map sucks"

So voting for map11 will not work, and will show "this map sucks"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
241. Enabled map, reset and randmap voting even with no maplist.
shinobi-cl
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

I'm guessing then that "banmap" did not get implemented?

Anyway, thanks and great work as always Smile
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope. no banmap.
its not something that you want in a server. trolls would just cripple your rotation.
taking care of bad maps should be the hosts duty. it is not worth to implement on the fly
maplist changing when the host can just change the config and restart the server.
shinobi-cl
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... well i think that i was not clear when i posted the "banmap" thing. Sorry about that.

The idea of banmap would be the opposite of addmap, and would be specified on the server config. No "on-the-fly" maplist change.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that sounds like a good idea in conjunction with the implemented request. If there is no maplist, you could prevent people from voting it, and screwing up the server with a broken/bad map. If people tried to vote to it, the suggested string parameter could be displayed in the console informing why the server can't be changed to that map.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It a map is bad, then there should be a maplist whether there is voting or not. And then something like "banmap" is useless. We implemented the thing that's useful to everyone guys; we won't go for the kitchen sink. Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: