ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respawn of mega items

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Respawn of mega items Reply with quote

The problem I have with this DMFLAG is that mega armor and megaspheres are apparently not under its jurisdiction, in fact all it affects is Invulnerability and Invisibility whereas 'spawn spheres' includes all spheres. I could've sworn it functioned differently in the past but after testing on an 1.07.01 then it seems not.

Maybe it's just semantics, but as these are the only two items with 'mega' in the name then should they not be affected by that setting? Plus, y'know, a megasphere is a sphere, right? So to my mind then soulspheres should also be affected by this setting. In fact, given the choice I'd probably extend it to cover Computer Maps and Lite Amps too.

I'm not pushing for a change in behaviour here, but it does seem odd and the discrepancy between the name for the flag between the client and ZSL is what causes most of the confusion. Zdoom does handle things in the same way but seems to not give you the option of choosing which goodies to spawn initially and now refers to the 'mega' items (less confusingly) as 'big powerups'.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mega items" is a bit misleading. It refers to the Invulnerability Sphere and the Blur Artifact now. If you recall, in vanilla, these two items would never respawn, in any case. The DMFlag was changed to support this older behavior, so we can get OS Altdeath without the respawning Invuln/Blur. The other two items were moved to the Spheres DMFLAG, IIRC.

So long story short: the OS guys wanted it.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, I said the same thing as you Shark and even changed that DMFLAG in one of the 106 RCs to work like you said. Then people pointed out it would ruin altdeath mode. So I reverted it back to the old behavior and I think it better stays that way.

However... if one really objects to mega powerups, there is another DMFLAG that blocks them altogether. It can be quite handy at times.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, don't throw this request out! the problem isn't in changing the flags behaviour, that's very much okay. it's the naming itself that's somewhat confusing, because throwing the 'mega' word around suggest all spheres. i always forget when setting up a server, and i have to either check in game or seek it out in IDE, because it explains things like to an idiot child. which is good. :)
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewww wrote:
hey, don't throw this request out! the problem isn't in changing the flags behaviour, that's very much okay. it's the naming itself that's somewhat confusing, because throwing the 'mega' word around suggest all spheres. i always forget when setting up a server, and i have to either check in game or seek it out in IDE, because it explains things like to an idiot child. which is good. Smile

The internal naming isn't exactly important (except in the case of the cvar). If the way it's labeled is an issue, then perhaps notify Doom2pro so he can update ZSL with a more proper "external" name for the flag. That would be the thing to do.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EQ and Kil for clearing up just why that flag does what it does.

But oops, I made a bad! ZSL is fine actually. The erroneous naming is actually in the launcher, in the dropdown boxes that show up in the detailed server info. So yah, could that be fixed sometime please?
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have in mind?
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply to change the name of the flag in the drop down box to match that in the in-game options - 'respawn mega items'.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I get it: you're talking about the tooltip, and well.. the "respawn spheres" label was forgotten there; I had changed it to "respawn mega-items" as you can see in the client/server/sp launcher/zsl, but just forgot the tooltip. OK... it's fixed now.

Plus... the other dmflag "spawn spheres" is not right either: it should be "spawn mega-items" since it affects non-sphere items too (eg., blue armor). So I fixed it in the launcher and it will show up on the next client/server release as well.

Finally... I hope you realize that "respawn mega items" is not really correct either, but we can't really use a label like "Respawn some, but not all mega-items so it doens't mess up altdeath" Wink

Anyway... you can find the fixes in the latest launcher. Enjoy.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before, Zdoom now calls the flag 'Respawn big powerups'. But w/e, I'm just happy we have the names synchronised now, thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: