ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDS #110 - Twitch N' Kill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: ZDS #110 - Twitch N' Kill Reply with quote

This week is one of those truly epic things of which the whole of Zdaemon should sit up and take notice. Sadly I didn't find it until after ZDS #100 or we might well have run it then.

The name of the game is

This is a real old Total Conversion which was made by some guys called 'Banjo Software' and was actually commercially marketed as an expansion for Doom2. Sadly they didn't get it released until after Quake was on the shelves and people had already moved on. They might still play Doom but they sure as hell weren't going to pay for another one.

Adereth mentioned HACX to me years back but I only ever checked it out quite recently. I was pretty amazed when I did as it's clear that a lot of work went into this. It reminds me of ZBlood with the total overhaul they put into it, except of course ZBlood came much later and took advantage of lotsa advanced features. HACX does have its share of fans though, indeed there are even some guys working on upgrading and improving it for Zdoom.

Now I'd always assumed HACX used its own version of the Doom engine but that's not the case, so I'm kinda shocked that no-one seems to run it here. Sure, some maps are mildly broken for co-op and there's a slight issue with breakable decorations online - think like the problems you can have with barrels - but it's nothing too upsetting. I ran it by TheCupboard who didn't see any real problems either. Seems he's letting me post it up - which is cool, as I haven't run a co-op myself for quite a while!

Oh and congrats to MrCupboard who has been officially recognised as ZDS staff and can now put his jackboot down all over this section of the forumszes! Smile

Read more about HACX on the official site.

Game Mode: Co-op
    WAD: HACX (Yep, just the one!)

Maps: 21 (01-15, 31, 16-20)
    DMFLAGS: 4540452 / 1180096
    Skill: 3 - Ultraviolence
    Timelimit: No
    Players: 8 (+2 spectator slots)
    Voting: Kick + skip

Date: Saturday 10th October
    Time: 7:30pm UK Time / 9:00 pm EST
    Location: L@P/XXX / Unfy/Kruk (although as usual we take whatever we can get)
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. So you're going along, minding your own business, which just happens to be hacking
into other people's databases, when your latest hack, some hi-tech company, catches you
on-line and sends over some government jerk to arrest you. Mother said there'd be days like
this. You broke a few national and international laws. So what's the big deal?! Hacking is what
hackers do! But seems like you hacked into the wrong database this time. Ultra-secret and all
that. Genemp Corporation. Some biotech something or other. Database called itself GENIE.
Something peculiar in that. Awfully sophisticated database. Especially if it caught you in the
middle of hacking, and you're the best, it's eerily sophisticated. Like it can actually think, or
something.

So they send you packing... to the federal pen. For the rest of your natural life. No computer, no
gear, nothing. Total drag. Cement and bars, and the other guys inside aren't exactly your
average beefcakes. They catch a glance at your cyber-jockey derriere and get a wet gleam in
their eye. So what you do for the next twelve months is hit the weight room--hard and fast! You
pump iron like your life depended on it--and it does. You learn to sleep with one eye open.
Punching the heavy bag becomes your breakfast; tae-kwon-do your lunch, and for dinner...
well, you gotta eat sometime. And practice? Plenty. 'Cause these boys got a gleam in their eyes
that won't go away. But how you've changed! Over once scarecrow arms, muscles wrap tight
and heavy, and you've got a fu-kick that makes the boys call you "Sir". Before you were just an
average pencil-necked geek, now you could grace the front of Muscle and Guns Magazine. And
just in time, too.

Because one day you return to your cell to find a tight-lipped, little man in a black suit with a bad
haircut. Won't give his name, but says he's a Government Agent with the Subcommittee. Which
subcommittee? The Subcommittee. The guy's a regular riot; just one clown shy of a circus. But
you listen, 'cause heck, you've got all the time in the world.

And so he tells a tale.... of world-wide communication blackouts, computer network shutdowns
at governmental and military installations, international stock market crashes, and what might
seem unbelievable.... armies of cannibal zombies roaming the globe, laying waste to everything
in their path! Nothing fancy, just your everyday global chaos. The President has declared martial
law, but they've lost contact with parts of the armed forces, and some of these rogue military
units are assaulting urban centers. The country is being decimated!

And you thought you had it rough! So, why tell you? Because you're the best Hacker in the
business. And they think they know who's behind this weirdness--a consortium of powerful,
international hi-tech conglomerates, but they can't get close enough to be certain. So far every
government agent they've sent in has yet to return. They need you to infiltrate these corporate
databases and find out what's going on. What's more, they want to surgically install a
military-grade Genemp Microtel into your frontal cerebral lobe. A what, where? A new,
experimental cyber device that allows you to cyberleap from one terminal to another using
cyberspace as if it were a taxicab.

So what's in it for you? You get to keep the Microtel and have lunch with the President. You
laugh, 'cause you've heard better offers from the guys with the gleam in their eyes. Oh, he adds,
there's $20 million in gold. Suddenly you feel patriotic. Ah, why not?

There's only one hitch to getting the gold, the Agent says. What? You gotta stay alive.
IleKallio
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I think I played this a little with Miek12 sometime during the winter Smile
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday
L@P
Got it.

../me tries to memorize
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok....Somone send me config please..im too lazy to create my own...
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been one busy week for me. I would've been pressed for time to craft an A+ presentation. One gold star is awarded to Kyber for taking care of business.

This is a remarkable TC (well, most just about every TC is remarkable Razz) and I'm glad they decided to distribute it freely after a time.

As a side note, those detonating Sputnik enemies are A++.
Jad
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, just the session for me!
I have played this before, its quite awesome, but I think the monsters were kinda dumb.
Best of luck this week!
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, not really into total conversations, but I guess I'll be there to kick it off this week. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally you hate anything with a bit of dehacked on it because you can't run your silly backpack mod on it! Laughing

Jad wrote:
Heh, just the session for me!

Hahaha yeah I thought that too.

Jad wrote:
I have played this before, its quite awesome, but I think the monsters were kinda dumb.

Yyyyyeah... I have mixed feelings about them. Some look like they belong in Freedoom or something, while others I think are as good as the Doom2 originals.
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Naturally you hate anything with a bit of dehacked on it because you can't run your silly backpack mod on it! Laughing

I actually made that patch in order to be able to play monster massacre wads without going argh because I die all the time. Razz But yes, there are not many conversions I like. I'm really picky when it comes to that. But I'll give it a chance anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
unfy
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my server's up -- have kid this weekend, won't be able to play Sad

good luck!
Firmar
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ! I remember playing it as SP, I played it in ZDaemon so it was buggy a bit but still it was cool Smile it was also hard and challenging, actually I've never expected, that this wad would be on ZDs, so I am surprised (in a good way), just man ! What a pity I am gonna to concert today, well hope I'll catch U.S.A ZDs so leave some monsters for me Wink
qwaszx-
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks pretty cool. Can't wait.
vatoloko[PMCD]
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: zzzz Reply with quote

this is the PLUTONIA 2 or what
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small handful of those maps got a little broken because of lindef actions designed only for singleplayer mode, but things were just peachy for the most part. Cool

Some monsters looked a little grotesque, but I felt that the majority of them were very well done (that large red spider comes to mind). The weapons were attractive and functional (the sprites seem to pop up frequently enough in weapons mods).

The level design was pretty satisfying, though some textures I consider garish. I would concede that the bright colors worked to Hacx's advantage since Doom is filled with a lot of brown and gray. The bright reds, greens, and blues helped distinguish it.

I think someone made a good point during the session (Cybershark?) that some sprites in here would make for a good skins pack.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww, you cheated! Didn't even answer Vatoloko's question(?) Laughing
Anyways I'm glad somebody posted something because I honestly had no clue how to reply to that.

And yeah, it was me said about the skins. I was just surprised that in the Doom community, where everyone plunders everything, that I'd never seen these before.

This was a wicked good session. The US was split a bit thanks to those crazy XXX guys restarting the Euro server pretty late but that was ok as there were players enough to go around. I know EQ was upset about the toughness of the monsters but that was just down to the DMFLAGS in an attempt to compensate for the number of players and the infinite ammo.

We had no such complaints on the other server and while there were a couple of maps that were broken and a couple more that were pretty huge then the games were mostly well balanced, with sensible numbers of enemies and nothing overly puzzlesome. I played for almost 3hrs Very Happy

Tobi was so impressed with this he wants to turn over a HorizoN server to run it - and he's not even a big co-op fan Cool
[FEAR]Tobi
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Tobi was so impressed with this he wants to turn over a HorizoN server to run it - and he's not even a big co-op fan Cool

Yes, it will be up on saturday when the next ZDS starts.
By the way, I also made a Vampire CTF server, so check it out if you liked the ZDS from last time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Sessions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: