ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDLauncher refresh Speed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: ZDLauncher refresh Speed Reply with quote

Dear ZD staff,

Refreshing of the complete server list is a bit slow. Takes about 1 minute for me with a 16Mbit connection at full capacity and 400 servers to refresh. It takes 30 seconds when I filter out all servers with bots and a ping above 95. Steam refreshes counterstrike:source servers 25 times that speed. (but ofcourse with over 10.000 servers it also takes a while).

I'm suggesting there could be some improvements done here. Although it's clear that the ZDaemon server is a bit slower then that of steam, 400 servers could be refreshed in few seconds.

Please note that I'm merely suggesting; it's good the way and it's certainly not a priority.

Plas,

Geit
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't that be adjusted in the 'query speed'? Try bumping that to fastest Smile
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I hate to go slightly off topic, if the mods were to try and implement this, perhaps the technique that Doom Seeker (a launcher that claims to be able to refresh 200 servers in approximately two seconds) uses could accomplish this. Obviously the code would most likely not be compatible with ZLauncher (Doom Seeker is programmed with QT) , but you might be able to apply the technique it uses.

Anyways with all that said, I can't personally attest to its speed claims, but from what I've heard from others, they say that the claim is very accurate.
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing what Eagle-eye said First if you haven't

As for me it takes about 8-10 seconds to Refresh all the severs thats 420 as of current and that is set on "Fastest"

So i guess its pretty fast at the moment so no need ??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only launchers that I have seen being faster than ZLauncher are ones that "sort of" cheat: meaning.. you get precomputed info about all servers coming from some central location and then they query the servers on the sly so you think they're done a long time before they're actually done. I may go on a limb here, but show me a game-specific launcher that comes even close to our launcher: have you seen the stuff that comes with any version of UT or quake? and Valve with all its might, does it come close to our functionality? the only launchers that I have seen being comparable to us in terms of functionality are those from companies whose main business *is* the launcher (gamespy or all-seeing-eye for example). This is fine and well, but we also have a game to worry about Smile

To go back to the query speed: adjust your speed from the options geit. I just checked: a full refresh at the medium speed (426 servers at the moment) took me 20 seconds. The same at the fastest speed took 7 seconds. I'd consider that plenty fast for the given number of servers. I'll see if I can find a way to make it faster (without rewriting everything), but don't expect it to query all servers in less than a second.

[Edit]
Here is the brand spanking new souped up launcher: it has 2 new speed settings and it's refreshing all servers (431 right now) at about 4 seconds. That should be enough folks.
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luncher frozes for me when query speed is "insane"
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be because you had other things running while starting the refresh? I can get this sometimes whilst I'm downloading something at the same time :p
runkman
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the fastest speed and it takes 7 seconds.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruczyslaw wrote:
Luncher frozes for me when query speed is "insane"

'Luncher' freezing has always been with us. If it's hitting you then it means that speed is too fast for you - ramp it down a notch or two.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runkman wrote:
This means that your connection is choking. I only said that my refresh takes 4 seconds: not necessarily yours.
runkman
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
runkman wrote:
This means that your connection is choking. I only said that my refresh takes 4 seconds: not necessarily yours.

Oh I thought I had it on fastest but apparently I missclicked to the ''faster''. Yes, about 4 seconds to refresh 434 servers and I am very happy with that Smile
Dopefish
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runkman wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
runkman wrote:

Oh I thought I had it on fastest but apparently I missclicked to the ''faster''. Yes, about 4 seconds to refresh 434 servers and I am very happy with that Smile

you need at least 10 tries to make a valuable result and the more the better. don't forget to post uncertainty of type A and B. waiting for your results, bro !
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I was using the Insane option. Now it locks up, consistently. I'm okay with that except for one slight thing: it does this after the list has been updated. So what exactly is going on here? Why does it freeze for some people?

Don't get me wrong, I was fine with the old query speed options, and I did enjoy the Insane setting when it was working okay, but I'm concerned with ZDaemon being as robust as possible, and locking up isn't desirable no matter how you look at it.
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im pretty sure it has something to do with the strength of your connection.. not sure though

on insane I refresh in about 2 seconds Very Happy

thanks goreKil!
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark is right in that this is not new; there have been complaints about it for a long while and it looks like it's timing related: sometimes a high network or CPU load will trigger it. Unfortunately, I have been unable to make it crash on my machine no matter the CPU/network load: the other day I set the machine to run a video converter, ut2004 (a 16-bot ffa), and utorrent (with 20-25 popular torrents) and kept refreshing the launcher: no crashes whatsoever. Goes to show you how tough it is to replicate threading problems. What can I say: I'll keep trying to resolve that with the help of some friends who experience the problem and I'll let you know when there is a solution.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need someone to test any debug builds, then you know where to find me.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hypothesis that it's related to the "Hide Unreachable Servers" setting: namely, that this particular crash (at the end of the refreshing) happens ONLY when "hide unreachable servers" is checked. Can any of you guys that experience the crashes confirm or refute that please? as Dopefish said ealer, dont' do just one test Do 10 of those and vary that option so we can get reliable results.

Also.. if you *do* have crashes... can you please tell us the make/model of your graphics video card? something comes to mind there.

Thanks in advance folks.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try this launcher guys. We're hopeful that it fixes the crashes at the end of the refresh.
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see my request taken seriously. Thanks a lot Kilgore, the insane mode does it remarkably fast! I never had any crashes yet. I'll let you know if it does happen.

Shoes
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash happens (like never before) About my CPU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: