ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our dear friend...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Our dear friend... Reply with quote

Today, exactly three years ago tomorrow, our friend Toke moved on from this world and was released unto another (hopefully he's in Hell battling demons). It doesn't seem like it was all that long ago, and it's still hard to believe he's really gone. Let's take tomorrow to remember who he was, and what he has done for the Doom community. I can think of no single person that has impacted so many lives, especially those of us who really only knew of him as a fellow mapper and player, and never got a chance to meet him in person.

That said, I declare this a national holiday.

August 19... Toke Remembrance Day.

Last edited by EarthQuake on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Ganja
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.doom2.net/toke/

Last edited by Ganja on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:10 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ganja
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for remembering such an awesome person and yes it should be celebrated as a holiday, at least a a doom holiday everyone should play a game for toke sry i would be more poetic about this but i get to choked up

edit, go play or host up some toke maps
hell just find me and ill send you any of them even ones he didnt finish or were working on, anything from his library i have and will freely distribute any of it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitty
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 3 years already. I had only started talking to Toke just a few months before he died. He was super friendly was always a pleasure to talk to. He had sent me a bunch of Acid Bath music that I still have. Heh...
My thoughts are with those that knew him personally and find this time of year a little rough.

I think if EQ is around tomorrow, we should play some Moo for him Smile
I'll be sure to stop by coopbuild and omgmaps for him as well. I wish he were still here to make more awesome stuff.

By the way, when I saw the title of this thread, it startled me. Same title as last time...I thought something happened to someone else. Confused
Gollum
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toke had an extraordinary understanding of, and dedication to, how the game was played. Always working on projects to bring something fresh and unique to the DM or coop scene... and everything he came out with, was. He was one of the few mappers around that made maps competitively accepted by the top-tier deathmatchers.

Besides that, he was a great character to have around the community -- funny and welcoming personality. I don't think anyone ever had a bad thing to say about this guy.

Thanks to Ganja for reposting that tribute site. The bottom of the page listing what was included in his casket tells a lot about his life, and it is chilling to remember such a tragic loss of a young guy.

Back when I played a lot and mapped, the greatest compliment I ever got was someone saying one of my maps played like Toke's. He got me into Acid Bath and I think of him every time I listen.

Hope the guy is resting in peace... or blasting Acid Bath while creating a DM map, whichever he should choose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone would be lying here by saying they truly miss him. I sure do. I don't think it's weird to say that because he had this quality about him that made you feel like you knew him forever.

When he asked me to help with his website, now that was awesome. I felt like I had won the lottery or some prize and I got to work with a superstar! I feel like we got to know each other after a couple months of talking, and I was always surprised and intrigued about how much he knew about doom. His website was just starting to come together, and I feel horrible that he didn't get the chance to finish it.

I can't believe it's been 3 years, but I don't think that has done anything to the work he's put out. It's still as popular and colorless as ever, and it will remain that way as long as I'm around. Here's to one of the most influential people of the small, nerdy doom community, and to someone I will never forget.
ZERO99
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although i didnt much talk to him or get to know him personaly he taught me how to make teleporters when i asked him. soon after learning that the concepts of doom mapping some how just became understood in my head and i could make everything. i pretty much owe my mapping to him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't believe this. I remember I was just talking with him about mapping and the next week, he was gone. It really made me feel weird. I mean, to be honest, I do miss him. He was one hell of a mapper and I learned a lot from him.

RIP
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toke,

A great man who did a lot for the community, a lot for everybody, and a lot for me... I will always remember him for his great personality, and will to achieve his goals.

As for his mapping, he had a deep understanding of what would work, a natural talent that he himself couldn't put into words.

I would love to see (and am requesting) a special ZDS tonight of some Toke maps, maybe Vex? Hope this can be arranged.

We miss you Toke,

-DevastatioN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMGMAPS: put some fun in your FFA!
RIP Toke!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Czar
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Toke

lets have a Toke remembrance Tourney! massive FFA or TDM games! lets gogogogogo
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevastatioN wrote:
I would love to see (and am requesting) a special ZDS tonight of some Toke maps, maybe Vex? Hope this can be arranged.

Well we do have this lined up for Saturday. But yeah we should definitely rock some of his servers today too. I'll certainly be up for it if I see something going Smile

Ganja wrote:
http://www.doom2.net/toke/

Be cool if that site could be updated - it says there's more info to be added about his maps.
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I never knew Toke personally, I fully remember being addicted to his OMG maps back in it's glory days. Probably best FFA maps ever created for doom, period.
Ganja
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://download247.mediafire.com/ytgbtxf10wog/dlznmzontjg/episode1.mov
go watch this shit, xoap is a wierdo but there is alot of toke in here
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not getting anything from that link
Xenaero
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. Doom brother, friend and teacher! I wish I knew him personally, but damn he was an awesome guy. Nothing much more I can say that hasn't been said already by other people.
Ganja
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sry i fixed the link try again plz
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? The movie link? Don't see how you could've fixed it as the post doesn't say it's edited Confused

That link just takes me to the MediaFire homepage. Is it one of those BS uploaders that needs me to make an account to grab stuff from?
Ganja
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it works
ccarnage
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Toke...he was one thirty eight...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: