ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless Internet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalBlack
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Wireless Internet Reply with quote

Im not sure if anyone else has to deal with this, but wireless internet is definitely the devil. Ive been having problems with it as of late and maybe some one here might be able to help me because the linksys forums are slow and phone service is wretched. this is a copy of my post on the linksys forums.

"This problem has occurred recently, my wireless connection was fine until a week or so ago. Im connected to the internet with my WUSB54GSC usb adapter and have internet and so on but my mbps will either get so low(1 mbps) or I'll have no connectivity. I've reset my wireless G router and also reinstalled my usb adapter. For awhile it wouldn't connect so I reset my TCP/IP config in windows XP cmd and it worked fine for an hour and went back to dropping my connection. I also pinged 198.168.1.1 and It showed numerous request timeouts. I have no idea what I should do, My wireless G router is connected through a cable modem downstairs in my house, and my computer upstairs is using the USB adapter to connect to the router. Im just a little lost as I stated before that I had virtually no problems with it until recently. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

If anyone on here can help me that would be awesome Smile.

If worse comes to worse then I might just run an ethernet cable up to my room but it will be tedious getting it there.
Englander
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have wireless, but I have one of these so my signal is immense, but with my old adapter, I was getting this, I removed it, totally removed all the drivers, then reinstalled the whole system from fresh, and it worked fine after that.

Also, make sure you ain't got any cordless phones or mobiles near it or have anything that emits radiowaves, also some other gadgets like electrical balls and even other wireless devices such as a XBox or a PS3 can cause problems.

Other things I can suggest are updating the firmware on the router and also putting an exemption list on the router setup so it only allows adapters with the MAC addresses you have so no Tom, Dick and Harry can leech off it.
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like interference. Do you have your router/usb adapter next to a source of magnetism? (speakers/microwaves/etc) It may be that your router is just in a bad place. Connect up to it with a cable and go into the settings. You should find an option that lets you switch the wireless channel (range of 1 - 11). Try (actually test it) both extremes and those in between.
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on wireless forever and I always hated it really. I got dropped alot all the time so I made a ghetto wifi dish after cha0tix suggested it and it helped out alot.

Im not a wireless expert so I can't really say what will help and such, but it doesn't hurt to try different things and perhaps upgrade to N band or even go wired if you can.
andymun
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on wireless for last 2 years. Can't notice any difference from cable, even on 3/5 bars.
indyroo
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get.wired.com Wink
Czar
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can notice the difference. andymun you always lag and teleport when you play. anyway, time to upgrade to wireless N i guess
andymun
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar wrote:
i can notice the difference. andymun you always lag and teleport when you play. anyway, time to upgrade to wireless N i guess

So much lies. Get aim bru.
Czar
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.getaim.com.au/zdaemon?
MetalBlack
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Englander and Envision, I took your guys advice and changed a few things, I moved my wireless router away from my cordless phone and put it at a higher location. I also went into my router settings and changed my channel from 11 to 9 and now Im at a steady 48-54 mbps on my connection speed so Im really stoked. Thanks again guys!
[SC]Stargate
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good that you goylt that fixed if there is a next time try network stumbler (google it) its great it will give every detail on the routrs signal and interferance.
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enVision wrote:
Sounds like interference. Do you have your router/usb adapter next to a source of magnetism? (speakers/microwaves/etc) It may be that your router is just in a bad place. Connect up to it with a cable and go into the settings. You should find an option that lets you switch the wireless channel (range of 1 - 11). Try (actually test it) both extremes and those in between.

My router is next to my foot tall speaker D;
Can this affect a wired connection?
[SC]Stargate
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sniper wrote:
My router is next to my foot tall speaker D;
Can this affect a wired connection?

I dont think it matters to much as long as its not right on top of it. Just move it a couple feet away from it and you should be getting full signal.

Like envision was saying try diffrent channels some are better depending on the stuff you have in your house.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: