ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VPS & Bandwidth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jad
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: VPS & Bandwidth Reply with quote

I have been contemplating of using a VPS to run a few ZD servers for some time now, and I think I've found a deal that fits my needs. But bandwidth is limited to 100GB a month. Could anyone approximate for me how many games this could run, or give me an estimate of average bandwidth usage per player?

Other server specs:
processor: 2.0GHz+
960MB Ram
100Mbit connection

Thanks in advance.
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess someone else here would be able to give you some real numbers... but looking at the net_graph ZDaemon has you can see that it takes up up to about 1,5 kB/sec for every user.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes it a little over 5 MB per hour per person. Assuming your server is always being played, and the average numbers of players is constant at 8, it would possibly take 25,000 MB per month per server (if my calculator still works). Of course it would never be like that realistically, so you could pretty much have as many servers as your machine is capable of running, hardware-wise. I'm not really sure about the system requirements for ZServ, though.
Jad
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this was exactly what I was I was looking for. I might have these up and running sometime soon. Very Happy
Englander
God like!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly God Father told me the German L@P servers ran on Pentium 2's so hardware shouldn't be a major factor at all.
Da_maniaC

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Englander wrote:
If I recall correctly God Father told me the German L@P servers ran on Pentium 2's so hardware shouldn't be a major factor at all.

The difference being, that when L@P was still hosted at the university, all those pentium 2 boxes ran one server each.
I recall kilgore having some guidelines for having the best possible playing experience on a server. (I believe this was something around 100 MB of free RAM and an additional 25 MB per bot/player).

Of course 2 Ghz processor speed posted by the TS doesn't offer any transparency seeing as we have all sorts of different architectures these days. (K8, K9, Netburst, Core, Nehalem).
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on the operating system as well ? with those specs i could say over 20 for sure. As i was running windows 2003 sever edtion i had 364 megs of ram and ran just under 15 sever's but it had a quad core installed so i guess that would of made a difference?

well it also depends on what wads you run/load on a sever and how many player slots you use for each sever.. lower then sever slots the less the ram use's

as for bandwidth i only had 10gb and 20gb on my vps and i only game close to maxing those out.. But as i live in New Zealand my sever's didn't get used that much so that helped me out Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Da_maniaC

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was never, ever going to be a decent playing experience if all servers were filled with players at the same time.
And running a quadcore + windows server 2003 on a box with 364MB RAM is imo wasted potential. (Especially with the current prices).
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol my severs only ever got filled once.. then the average i had was 8 players .. then it was 4 so i think i had no problems their

plus i was paying on my own and have you seen the prices compared to Euro/USA its quite expensive i was paying neally $100 ( anyone else offer? no ) for that sever..

So i think i did quite good hosting those as i attended them to be used my oceania players only to save me bandwidth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: