ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrist Pain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Wrist Pain Reply with quote

All of us who have been playing this game for years on end, this applies to you. I've been playing ZDaemon for 5 years now and for the first time ever, I got on, played and experienced some moderate wrist pain. I believe the reason for this is due to lengthy inactivity. Almost as if my wrist has gone frozen and the only way to alliviate that and eventually get it to return to it's normal state is to play more. Am I correct here? Or is this something I'm doomed (I made a funny) to be stuck with for the rest of my DOOM career?

Topic is up for debate, kids. I want to hear your stories and possible resolutions to this, if any are applicable of course. Other than that, just give me some tips as the game would become about ten times less enjoyable if this is to continue. Thanks, bitches!
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masturbate.
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cha0tix wrote:
Masturbate.

I'm a lefty as far as that goes. Wink
theDooMguy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well peobably your wrist lost a bit of it's strength due to inactivity so if you just work your way back up to where it used to be you should be ok. That used to happen to me a lot but as i've been on my computer a lot more in general that's pretty much gone away. I'm not a physician or anything but I think that might take care of it.
Kitty
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I have that same issue. I have to crack it to alleviate the pain. This all started when I stopped playing so much too. I have one of those little gel things to rest my wrist on and it helps quite a bit.
ccarnage
God like!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which part of your wrist is the pain in? When you are young you can put your joints through repetitive strains, however as you get older (and I mean into the early 20s), your body just can't take such strains without pains etc. From what you describe, it doesn't sound too serious, so I think if your keep playing it should go.

Masturbation can cause de quervain's syndrome, a quick way you can test for that is by: Make a fist, and place your thumb inside those fingers, and then tilt your hands towards the direction of your little finger. This should be painless unless you got issues with your thumb tendons.

If you had a burning pain, or night pain, and it was in the medial side of your wrist, I'd suspect carpal tunnel syndrome or something.
int28
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrist Pain Reply with quote

SuperNova wrote:
All of us who have been playing this game for years on end, this applies to you. I've been playing ZDaemon for 5 years now and for the first time ever, I got on, played and experienced some moderate wrist pain. I believe the reason for this is due to lengthy inactivity. Almost as if my wrist has gone frozen and the only way to alliviate that and eventually get it to return to it's normal state is to play more. Am I correct here? Or is this something I'm doomed (I made a funny) to be stuck with for the rest of my DOOM career?
!

Samething happens to me about 10min into the game, make sure your wrists are level with you desk, that's about the only advice I can think of, and play more of course.
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccarnage wrote:
Which part of your wrist is the pain in? When you are young you can put your joints through repetitive strains, however as you get older (and I mean into the early 20s), your body just can't take such strains without pains etc. From what you describe, it doesn't sound too serious, so I think if your keep playing it should go.

Masturbation can cause de quervain's syndrome, a quick way you can test for that is by: Make a fist, and place your thumb inside those fingers, and then tilt your hands towards the direction of your little finger. This should be painless unless you got issues with your thumb tendons.

If you had a burning pain, or night pain, and it was in the medial side of your wrist, I'd suspect carpal tunnel syndrome or something.

Naturally, it's different pains as one wrist is connected to the hand that controls the keyboard while the other controls the mouse. My left wrist, which is the one used for keyboard, expierences a very mild pain honestly. I actually get more pain in my fingers from that believe it or not, but nothing I can't bear.

As for my right wrist, that's a different story. I tried the test you spoke of with my left and right hand, with the right one feeling some minor strain and aches while my left felt virtually nothing. The type of pain I get in my right wrist is a very tight, sore pain. The best way I can describe this is it's a pain very similiar to what you experience after you've done a lot of push-ups or weight lifting. It goes away almost instantly once I've stopped playing and have allowed it to rest though, so I'm not too concerned with carpal tunnel.

I've actually talked to some older players about this in the last few hours and one of them suggested that I dramatically increase my sensitivity to compensate for the effort of controlling my mouse with easier turning and movement. Not too sure if I'm willing to go as far as completely destroying my game and learning a whole new sensitivity at this point.
Kitty
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just increase the sens. a little at a time. By the time it's up really high, you'll be adjusted and there will be less strain on your wrist and it won't throw your game.
ccarnage
God like!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNova wrote:
ccarnage wrote:

Naturally, it's different pains as one wrist is connected to the hand that controls the keyboard while the other controls the mouse. My left wrist, which is the one used for keyboard, expierences a very mild pain honestly. I actually get more pain in my fingers from that believe it or not, but nothing I can't bear.

As for my right wrist, that's a different story. I tried the test you spoke of with my left and right hand, with the right one feeling some minor strain and aches while my left felt virtually nothing. The type of pain I get in my right wrist is a very tight, sore pain. The best way I can describe this is it's a pain very similiar to what you experience after you've done a lot of push-ups or weight lifting. It goes away almost instantly once I've stopped playing and have allowed it to rest though, so I'm not too concerned with carpal tunnel.

I've actually talked to some older players about this in the last few hours and one of them suggested that I dramatically increase my sensitivity to compensate for the effort of controlling my mouse with easier turning and movement. Not too sure if I'm willing to go as far as completely destroying my game and learning a whole new sensitivity at this point.

Hmm well it's tough. I got a similar problem when I tried playing FPS again this year (haven't played in over 2 years before this). Like you say, it's like doing a sport/lifting weights after ages...you really feel the pain the next day. But the wrist is quite a sensitive area, and it's really easy to strain stuff there. You should really avoid playing for long stretches in any case, regardless of wrist pain. Kinda hard to do I guess when you are playing zdaemon Smile
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i had this happen to me 1 year ago when my old mouse broke and i had to use a Wireless one it was smaller than my other one after a few months i started to get bad pain in the wrist and only could manage about 5 games.

After that i brought a Logitech G5 and man what difference did it make no pain ! mainly because of the size of mouse suits my hand , but when ever i tried to use the wireless mouse that pain just came back.

So i guess that has a factor into it ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JKist3
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you arent sleeping on it in a weird position
MetalBlack
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitty wrote:
Just increase the sens. a little at a time. By the time it's up really high, you'll be adjusted and there will be less strain on your wrist and it won't throw your game.

Yeah I took miekhails suggestion and maxed my sensitivity out, now I wish I could turn it up more, less wrist movement is awesome, you should try it nova.
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalBlack wrote:
Kitty wrote:

Yeah I took miekhails suggestion and maxed my sensitivity out, now I wish I could turn it up more, less wrist movement is awesome, you should try it nova.

You can, Joshsmith has his sens edited from the .ini to go past the max barrier.
Tuomio
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had pain in my wrists.. but in my left keyboard hand, sometimes it feels like my veins are burning. Dunno whats up with that.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuomio wrote:
I've never had pain in my wrists.. but in my left keyboard hand, sometimes it feels like my veins are burning. Dunno whats up with that.

ooo.. start stretching the wrist, you don't want to end up with the carpal tunnel syndrome!
Dopefish
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, players with lower in game sensivity tend to move with their elbow, but not wrist so they can suffer less from cts. Make sure you have no sharp edges on your table and use some ergonomic mouse like microsoft intellimouse 3. If this will not help, buy that gyroscope device called powerball. I have this and it is quite good tho I do not have pain so I use it very rarely Smile . And if even this will not help ice your wrist or visit a doctor who can give you a cortizone gel or cortizone injection on/to your wrist and wear some bandage Very Happy The last case is operation ofc.
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just sounds like repetitive muscle strain mate. If you use the pivot method (moving hand instead of arm) then it's easy to strain. Most Older players have a low sens, but higher sens allows for quicker reactions, faster movements, at a slight cost in aim.Aiming using the wrist is more accurate than using the arm to move your mouse as there is more subtlety in movement.

I'd suggest finding a happy medium between aim and high sens. Try using a mouse mat with a wrist rest.

In the end it's probably nothing to worry about. Go to the Doctor and he/she/it will give you some exercises to strengthen your wrist. Often these pains are not from actual damage, but muscle spasm. It feels just as bad (sometimes worse) than real damage, but it can quickly pass with some physio therapy. Ask your doc.
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccarnage wrote:
... When you are young you can put your joints through repetitive strains, however as you get older (and I mean into the early 20s), your body just can't take such strains without pains etc.

LOL.
Wow, early twenties... *older* Rolling Eyes
Well beyond that age and always played pain free.
Never had any lengthy stoppages yet though. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cha0tix wrote:
MetalBlack wrote:
Kitty wrote:

You can, Joshsmith has his sens edited from the .ini to go past the max barrier.

aw dude we need to remove the ability to let Joshsmith turn up his mouse sense so high, its like cheating because I never turned mine up that high or even thought about looking at my config for that matter. I demand he stop using his .ini like this. This is so far from doom.exe that its ridiculous how do I keep going undefeated on doom2 map01 with joshsmiths mouse sense so high I wont be able to keep up Ieither this has to be removed or he has to press fiffteen buttons to make his mouse sense that high....cry wha wha wha

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: