ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to everyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle-Eye
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be arsed had I some websites/forums to work with Rolling Eyes
int28
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

switcher wrote:
ccarnage wrote:
Well I don't remember you...but 5 years ago (2004), zdaemon I feel was at its peak. Everybody knew each other, clans competed in 1on1s & CTF was not that popular...those were the days..

ShyFX

Ya... I never stopped playing 1VS1, FFA, and CTF... although I dropped my DUI alias a few years back since no one played anymore. Where the fuck are you guys?

Hello up north friend!
I can't speak for anyone else, but my life was once all consumed by gaming. Now it's all consumed by my little boy, new gf, and work. When he gets in school I will have time to get back to my old ways. I still pop in here for a game maybe once a month, that is if I can find one going.
Dred
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i am still around. I just pop in for a few weeks a year or so. Playing under random generated names. Nice to see you still show up int28.. i have not seen you in zdaemon servers in many many years. Smile
fx02
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh, classic doom is history... no one has dos/win9x, zdaemon replaced classic doom. That's it. Anyway, still there is odamex, chocolate doom, so, no worry, doom is and always will be alive. Wink

Erh, yeh, I'm back after long time I was busy with my son lately Razz

Soooo, who's for map01 dm? Smile
indyroo
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fx02 wrote:
no one has dos/win9x

I have win98 on one of my old laptops. Smile

I must admit though, I've never used true DOS, I just use DosBox when I feel the urge for old games, which happens to be quite often. Wink
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fx02 wrote:
Doh, classic doom is history... no one has dos/win9x, zdaemon replaced classic doom. That's it. Anyway, still there is odamex, chocolate doom, so, no worry, doom is and always will be alive. Wink

Sure there's those other ports but just which facets of Doom2.exe are not currently replicable here?

fx02 wrote:
Soooo, who's for map01 dm? Smile

Ugh, maybe you should stay gone Razz
theDooMguy
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indyroo wrote:
fx02 wrote:
no one has dos/win9x

I have win98 on one of my old laptops. :)

Untill very recently I had a (old as hell) computer running windows 95 with Doom 95 loaded and ready to go.
ccarnage
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
fx02 wrote:

Sure there's those other ports but just which facets of Doom2.exe are not currently replicable here?

None, zdaemon is a great port. But, as an exe player, and safely say Doom2.exe feels a lot different to zdaemon. For example, if I was playing Doom2.exe for 2 weeks, and then I switched to zdaemon, it would take me a while to adjust.

There are no major differences (barring Indigo lag in exe etc), but minor ones, I'll give you an example of one. On entryway, the plasma grab has progressively become easier in each successive version of zdaemon...on exe, you needed pretty good control to grab the plasma from all angles, on zdaemon, even touching it allows you to grab it. Whilst, many would argue that this is a good thing (as it eliminates the disadvantage of spawning in the plasma room), I personally do not like it.
[WH]-Wilou84
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccarnage wrote:
on zdaemon, even touching it allows you to grab it.

I'm afraid we aren't playing with the same version.... or maybe not even with the same port ? :>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fx02 wrote:
no one has dos/win9x,

Not commenting/starting a discussion on your take regarding the way ZDaemon is close to Vanilla though i think both are seemingly close some purists may still disagree. (How much closer can one get with a modern day netcode which Vanilla does not have?).

Regarding the DOS/Win9x statement...i am always amazed to see how many people still stick to these environments for a classic game approach.
For me it has been almost 4-5 years since i had an old dedicated P3 running Win98SE etc. for this.
Back then DosBOX was still in its early days somewhat and not performing anywhere near a native machine so the alternative was still better.
Nowadays performance is pretty much second to none since a better cpu cycle support has been implemented.

If people still want to keep using an old and dedicated machine thats fine...i find it taking up unnecessary space these days.
If you are still using some old Win9x operating system because of limited resources i do really think its time to move on. Wink

ccarnage wrote:

None, zdaemon is a great port. But, as an exe player, and safely say Doom2.exe feels a lot different to zdaemon. For example, if I was playing Doom2.exe for 2 weeks, and then I switched to zdaemon, it would take me a while to adjust.

There are no major differences (barring Indigo lag in exe etc), but minor ones, I'll give you an example of one. On entryway, the plasma grab has progressively become easier in each successive version of zdaemon...on exe, you needed pretty good control to grab the plasma from all angles, on zdaemon, even touching it allows you to grab it. Whilst, many would argue that this is a good thing (as it eliminates the disadvantage of spawning in the plasma room), I personally do not like it.

When is the last time you checked this?
AFAIK Dash's new server code removed this issue.
Consigliori
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[WH]-Wilou84 wrote:
ccarnage wrote:
on zdaemon, even touching it allows you to grab it.

I'm afraid we aren't playing with the same version.... or maybe not even with the same port ? :>

True dat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: