ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Announcing my immediate departure from the ZDaemon community
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firmar
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit...Man that totally DOOMED my day...I'd love to say "I know how do you feel" but I guess I know just how do you feel just a bit...It's really sad and bad you're leaving because you were IMPORTANT part of community.........Well I hope you'll change your mind,come back and SAY TO WORLD "I'M STEALTH AND I'M HERE TO WIN!!!"

Anyways Good luck in life buddy I hope I'll meet you again.

----
XSNAKE
----
Actually I dunno what to say Xsnake....I thought you're good guy but...This just...SUCKs...THAT really pissed me off and I am disappointed about you...Well **** YOU and THANKS
I really dont know how dare you TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT ! Stealth did some many things for ZD and you all just DESTROYED IT...I hate people like you
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indyroo wrote:

Let's see what xsnake has to say in his defence.

We are all waiting for his poor riposte Evil or Very Mad

Btw you you didnt close [zdrama] tag Stealthy

Last edited by Kruczyslaw on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:31 am; edited 4 times in total
RottKing
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Xsnake you slimy retard, that's quite a mess you've made, truly you are cool guy #1. This is a pretty huge blow to the community, goddamn.

EDIT: Haha ok maybe this post was a bit reactionary, but I guess I found it hard to think of anything but "How incredibly stupid."

Last edited by RottKing on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
[CP7]Red
has entered the game!

Location: New Zealand RedZTag all up in this bitch. MLP: FiM Forevar CTF is best gamemode handsdown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: farewell stealth Reply with quote

You are a great person Stealth and I really appreciate what you did helping out with ReMooD. This thread shows that quite a lot of people do care about you, we will miss you.
GhostlyDeath
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped posting here a long time ago, but you are a great friend and hope you remain as such. I am in your debt for you donation and hope your life makes a turn for the better. Good luck and good bye.
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...What !! ?

Quite a shock really , i don't blame you either man all your hard work just gone with a flick of a few buttons . Sad day to lose such a helpful player and a person, that help the development team .

You helped me setting up my severs and trying to get Zdaemon to work on Linux ( With the different timezones i did not know how i managed ) thanks for that

To Xsnake a Faggot from my opinion i thought he was a respectable player around here and i would of never thought he would do something like this ? Like people have said above trolling doesn't even come close to compare what you have done . Looks like you are going to have a huge fan club chasing you now because what has happened

Hope you come back soon man, goodluck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong but before i type a reply which does concur with Stealth (I've seen a lot of stuff happen in this community) i will not take the time to write up how im feeling to every exact detail due to the fact that i'd write such a reply for him and he will most likely not be reading it anytime soon.

I have seen stuff happen, i have seen people come and go and yes there are a lot of douche bags in this community.
And even though i don't know Stealth well enough... i have been in this community (not just the forums) for about 8 years now.
After all this time there's still only 3 people i can think of right now which i fully trust.

I know i have not been around much as of late (though i see more then a lot of you think) but incidents similar to this although not to this extreme extend are the cause of that.
It's quite a similar reason i quit the ZDaemon staff as well a little while back.
I have always felt i could make a difference here even though i've had a few conflicts with people in the past which in the early days were often related to not being able to accuratly express what needed to be done in the right modest/formal manner.
People that want to change will (and boy have i changed over the years...some very old replies don't even sound like me), people that want to remain assholes will do so too. Someone here still fails to understand that to this very day which lead me to dropping all tasks that require spending energy on this community/project and it still saddens me a lot since i never really lacked the right knowledge and experience and it still itches/hurts not being able to help out anymore.

Anyway, what i am trying to say is shit happens everywhere you go and i am not implying that Stealth should have had the right backups or not trusted the wrong people (its really a shame this has happened).
I am trying to express how careful one should be when mixing certain aspects of yourself with a project such as this.
For Stealth this will be the best lesson ever learned, though i do hope it doesn't make him lose his trust in people in general. ZDaemon still isn't a close call to the real matter when it comes to that.

In closing let me say that good guys always come out on top (guess that doesn't make me that much of a good guy as i thought to be).
But for the likes such as Xsnake their name will be dragged through the mud so severely with a thread like this that if i was in Stealth his shoes i would feel satisfactory fairly soon with a thread developing such as this one.
I can't express how eager i would have been to try and work my knowledge on his server to see what data could still be recovered but sadly i guess its too late now.
Xsnake
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealth,
I didn't want all of this to happen that way, honnestly. "We", the French Zdaemon players, just wanted to make our own servers. We had given you, several times, a list of servers that we would have liked to see running on horizon. The problem is that you've ignored most of our requests. Yeah I know, it looks totally selfish, but who is paying for those servers ?
Besides, I thought it was clear but only Zdaemon servers were supposed to be running on the server Nokturne is paying for, or at least, that's what he wanted. So when he saw you were running/hosting alot of other programs, he went mad.
Sorry, you can't say you haven't got contacted, because he did it yesterday and several times before. And about the Zde2 server, we had been asking for it for 3 weeks, so there are 2 possibilities : You have indeed been very busy last 3 weeks and so, I think someone else should administrate the horizon servers or you just didn't want to set this server up. Seriously, it would have taken 2 mins to make this server. That is the reason why Nokturne and I thought you were doing exactly what you wanted with the server. That made us react.
He gave me his password and told me to do something about that. I tried to do what I could, but as I have a very limited knowledge in that kind of stuff, it has happened that way.
A primitive reaction indeed. We didn't know you were hosting all those files/backups on Horizon, simply because first, you weren't supposed to, and second, because you didn't tell us about it.
You see, this is a perfect example that show how lack of communication can lead to a tragedy.
Trust me or not, Im sorry about all of this. Now, I will assume the consequences.
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im comfioused now...I understand Stealthy and Xsnakes version is reliable too...damn it! Evil or Very Mad
Englander
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speechless, I really am, I know what it's like to lose loads of precious work, I'm really sorry to hear this Stealth, you were one of ZDaemon's greatest assets and an all round great guy, I hope things get better for you.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is truly unbelievable. I have done alot of work with Stealth, we put hours on end to get the ECL/ECDL leagues up n running, and now I have to hear that all those demos/forums/websites have gone, all that work now is ruined. We got one season out of it only. Stealth had always been helpful and he'd always been busy trying to help everyone, Nokturne had the password, why didn't he just make the fucking server himself? Ah fuck, there's alot more shit I can say here but there's no need to go into it.

Stealth, I will be in touch for sure. And I know exactly what you're going through.

I am furious, this is unforgiveable.
lippy
overactive hormones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think Xsnake would be considerate enough to actually make sure he knew what the hell he was doing when he accessed the server, but it really isn't worth informing him of what a cunt he is, as he probbably already knows.

Stealth, you've helped me for many hours with various issues i've had with my PC, and I can only hope i'll talk to you again in the future.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I have to clarify a few things. Well actually I don't, only this sort of thing affects me if information is not accurate, and people take the wrong things from it.

If you are planning to run zservs, then buy a cheaper server. There is no point in wasting a server with 3TB of RAID5 disk space, Dual Core processing, 3GB of RAM, and unlimited bandwidth, on zservs which took up possibly no more than 200MB of RAM, and zero resources. Adding to that, Nokturne knew full well that I used the server for other things for ZDaemon, and ZDaemon only. Considering the sheer power of that server, hosting the European Leagues websites, ZDaemon projects, and so on on it, had no impact on the server whatsoever. If Nokturne had minded I would have recommended he downsized to a cheaper server, because otherwise he was wasting his money. I administered Horizon to help out, and in turn I mentioned it would run a few other ZDaemon projects, and let Nokturne know that he was contributing a lot to the community by providing a server like that so I could do work on it.

To clarify, Nokturne owns the server. He had little clue on how to use it, and I was happy to do anything on it that he needed. I'm still surprised he was willing to pay that much when all he got out of it were a few measly zservs. He gave Xsnake his ISP account password to try and solve things. Xsnake's immediate reaction was to wipe the server. It's not my server. I have no legal obligation over it. He didn't MEAN to delete my work, so I'll be annoyed if you guys don't realize this. It was his own ignorance and spite that caused this mess, in the same way fast drivers that think they know it all cause death and heartbreak. It's just a lesson to everyone that this sort of attitude doesn't get you anywhere, and can harm other people.

Those things used to be hosted on HorizoN, and as I mentioned previously they were hosted on my server, a new one I have in the Netherlands for another project I work on for the Wii. The majority of things were already moved to this server, with the exception of my own IRC connections as (naturally) Horizon was a much more stable server. Based on my own concerns, it was obvious I would leave backups on Horizon in the case anything ever happened to my new server. Suprisingly it did, within less than a month of hosting, on the 22nd of March, the hard drive suffered a critical error in which it was impossible to read or write to the drive. Feeling the worst, I had a brand new server only hours later. Moving over the backup of the Wii stuff first, being priority, considering we receive over $500 a month towards the project, and it receives over 2800 unique visitors a day, even the few hours in which it was down caused me great grief from the team. I had so much to move, that it took a few days to get everything back up and running again.

With regards to the ZDaemon related sites, they weren't mission critical. You have no idea how little time I have had to even sleep over the past month, so I felt like it could wait - after all they WERE backed up. Don't ask me why I didn't back them up at home - data on servers is that large (in my case, over 350GB of unique backups) that you can do very little apart from move the data from server to server. With regards to that, Nokturne could have made money from the server if he'd sold off resources, something which I already mentioned to him ages ago, but we never got anywhere with it.

No, it's not really the data loss that gets to me, it's Xsnake's thoughtless takeover of Horizon server. He could easily have modified the server config, stuck his wad there, and restarted the server. Instead he changed a lot of configurations as if to make the server his, and changed the password. That's what gets to me. And when he caused crashing problems in the extreme sense and I had no choice but to lock him out of the account and close the zservs until I got home to prevent any more damage. Considering I was still online, and no contact was made, even before rebooting the server, or wiping it, shows he had no concern for me or my work, and he damn well knew there was more than just zservs running on that server. It didn't have to be Xsnake, it could have been any one of the random members of the community that think in the same fashion. This isn't a finger pointing session anymore, it was an accident, this is what has happened, and I am under no obligation or have any desire to recreate that work.

Have I lost everything I've ever done? Hell no. There's loads of reverse engineering work I'd done on ZDaemon to help raise awareness for the dev team to the need for additional client side protection, along with a few other patches and things I'd created. That's all last year though - the only remains of the work I'd done this year is the very ancient EDL version of zsmanager sitting on Doom2.net, from over 18 months ago. It's useless to me.

As for hosting servers, I repeatedly voiced my desire to pass on control of HorizoN's zservs to other people, because I knew fine well I didn't have enough time to deal with them myself. I was happy enough to educate anyone on the use of my zserv manager system, not that it was that hard when explained (the only command you needed was 'configure' Xsnake - the restart command isn't supposed to be used separately) however no-one put their name down for the task. That's fine, and I hope you have fun running your own servers now, seeing as you know so much about unix servers (I still can't believe you rebooted it)

Also remember I spent over £1000 of my own life savings hosting FasthostsUK for nearly two years. Who's paying for these servers? Us Xsnake. Don't you fucking talk to me about money. And don't you DARE talk about we as in 'the french community' - I'm pretty sure you acted on your own free will - I don't think anyone would ever have told you to wipe the server. And you didn't even talk to me in the space of that whole 30 hours. Smile

There's really not much else I can say here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to 'escalate' things here.... but i have a hard time imagining how someone deletes the entire contents of a harddrive by accident? Smile

To me that sounds like someone who commited a 'crime passionel' telling the judge his wife slipped and fell on a kitchen knife.
[WH]-Wilou84
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
Stealth I'm really sorry to hear about all your problems ( ZDaemon and IRL-related ). You're a very good person and you certainly didn't deserve what happened to you and to your family.
I really hope things can go better with your parents.

Xsnake, well... I hope this serves as a lesson for you, don't do something unless you're sure about what you're fucking doing... Didn't you even check what was lying on the server ?!
That was a retarded move.

Anyway, just wanted to add that Xsnake's not an asshole, if he knew that the EDL website/demos, all those backups, and Stealth's work and projects were on the server, he wouldn't have deleted them on purpose. But hell, it happened anyway.
It's disappointing, and unforgivable :/

Whenever you need to talk Stealth, please know we're always here.
I hope you'll reconsider about leaving. ZDaemon needs people like you.

I wish you the best in what comes next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dammit, that reads like a flood damage report :( best of luck, stealthy.

now, i don't wanna join the crucifiction mob calling xsnake our own ZHitler, but this is a full-scale catastrophe. all the zdaemon-related work flushed down the toilet... also, EDL/ECDL #2 just moved to science-fiction genre. all that stuff was VERY dependent on stealth and he made the technicalities look very pro. forget pro, european competitive play is back in the stoneage now. also i can just assume this will deal a serious blow to horizon credibility after it became 'heart of europe' in previous months. sigh... *goes back to drawing brackets in excel*
[Chaos]Nokturne
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

First I want to make this clear : I pay for the Horizon servers, which means they are mine.
A year ago, I started a location with a french compagny called 'Dedibox' which provides good servers of good quality for the price of 70 euros/month.
I admit i pretty much don't know how to use Linux and I have very little knowledge in server creating, plus my work keeps me busy. Thanks tho, I found StealthCP, who wanted work on the server for me. I thank you very much man.

At the beginning, everything ran nicely, we had good servers the Private/Public CTF, 1on1 ect...
A while after, I noticed odd stuff, such as unknown unplayed wads, not beinggood for most of them and random maps... (Don't forget bots also, as they weren't required and asked for)
It ended up with most servers that I requested being replaced by either crappy stuff or simply removed.
I dont criticize your work StealthCP, I must say that you often was here when I needed you, but I really felt that I had a huge lack of control on something that belong to me. And I guess you can understand how does it feel.

This topis surprised me a lot actually
I, then, asked Xsnake for help since he was very devoted to do this and also suffered from the lack of servers. I gave him the password, it was both a good nad a bad thing.
By error, Xsnake deleted all your work on Zdaemon, that I learned here, but I also discovered stuff that I either shouldn't have or have been told earlier :
-THE and QnB website/forum
-ECL/EDL
-EuroZDTourney
And also as for something non Zdaemon related, Odamex Servers. Those shouldn't have been here.
I can understand you feel bad because of your work that i now lost, but hey, if Xsnake, or even I, or even PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE CONCERNED would have known about it, it wouldn't have happened.

You made big things for Zdaemon ... I find that was a colossal work ... GIVEN A LIAR's STAFF THAT DOES NOTHING BUT PROMISES.
I hope we can speak soon StealthCP, I come back at homeMay, 10th. I now have to think about the Horizon's future. After why would I pay for a port that never evolves, never did and certainly never will. Have fun in Oblacek and Doom2.net playing your daily private ctf of repeatative maps 01 - 04 -08.

Sorry about the eventual english mistakes. I thank Xsnake for his help despite of all these losses... I apologize to the persons who lost a part of their job and intervention in this history (Daniel, Lucas, Simon, Dewww, Cybershark and QnB Clan : KnightMare, Wilou, Ronald, Jemarbuzy, Bojan and Alice). Also, congrats to Mr.Raider and Co for the ZD come-down.

Nok.
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot fathom for a single second that NOBODY in the French, let alone the entire ZD community "knew" or even assumed that all the content (demos especially) for the European leagues was hosted on Horizon. Where else would it be hosted? Rapidshare? Rolling Eyes

The supposed solution for taking control over Horizon was so petty and childish...way to alleviate the headache by cutting off the head. I remember when I took over DE years ago, I made sure to have the previous admin team and the incumbent manager (Excelblue) teach me how to operate everything related to the ZServ portion of the box at the very least (I later learned other things on my own).

Judging from the work Excel did, I gave him the freedom to host a personal website and files on the DE box--it's a small gesture for someone who did a lot of work. There was also a lot of communication between us, so whenever he had a proposal to host something that could potentially hurt performance or take up space, he would come to me and ask me. When you are such a careless owner though, why are you acting so surprised when/if Stealth went ahead without your permission? That's your own fault.

How naive do you have to be to pay money each month and not even have the courtesy--to yourself and others using your service--to learn the basics? That to me just sounds like being lazy and spoiled--all while giving yourself the freedom to say "Well, I don't manage it, so it's not my fault" if anything goes wrong.

Perhaps one of the worst parts of this little saga is that I've always been on good terms with Xsnake and Nokturne. I guess you don't fully know anyone until there is a little adversity in the air.

Last edited by DX-Chain on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
turSKA
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Chaos]Nokturne wrote:
Hello,

Have fun in Oblacek and Doom2.net playing your daily private ctf of repeatative maps 01 - 04 -08.

fuck yeah! i'm not bummed about not having to play in laggy horizon anymore. it's the everything else that bugs me. Rolling Eyes
Proton
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't visit ZD Forums very often, but I've the obligation to post here.

Stealth, I know how you feel, you're a great person and you shouldn't deserve this. If you need anything. We will be here for you.

We'll miss you.

Proton aKa Xk1sH3R aKa Proty.

Crying or Very sad

EDIT: I just can't believe what you did, Xsnake.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: