ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Dead Lives p-1 - SP/COOP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what to say. I liked it. For many reasons, the first one being that this is the closest to a EP1 remake I've ever seen Surprised It has this god lod game play that makes addicted for a whie. Textring is well done, not overworked, reather simple, with a few mistakes, that's why it's something unique.

In the overall I say ; Play it, you will re-discover UDoom Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pErf3ct _DaRk_ wrote:
this is the closest to a EP1 remake I've ever seen Surprised

Seriously Dark?

What, you never saw Wonderful Doom?!
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNova wrote:
That's the worst idea I think I've ever heard. Honestly, I think most of the mappers who are worth something understand that ZDReview is better suited for advertising their wad, not so much receiving some feedback. What do you want, a prize or something? Mapping is fun and it benefits the community but I don't think it should be taken serious to that point.

You're lucky you used the word 'think' so much.. if not I had gone mid evil on your ass Smile. But that's okay, atleast we got 3 so far. And hell if tuomio is a 1000 times better then zero99.. how fucking good am I then?!
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know who you are.
lammah
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:

What, you never saw Wonderful Doom?!

/_\
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing the first episode and a few maps into the second, I have to say I am in love with this wad. I don't know where Zero gets the idea that this is like a complete clone of doom1, great job tuomio.

I really like how you textured it to have the classic feeling but still added your own little kick to it. The maps flow very well, there's usually no standing around looking for the next door. It's got a good amount of monsters and they're placed in positions to give you a lot of hell in certain maps!

Overall, gotta give this a perfect score, man. 10/10--good job. Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread purged.

To paraphrase: "I guess natural selection took it's course" Laughing
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my time, but here's my review Tuomio. Hope you will definitely make the other two episodes as well.

Description
The Dead Lives is a brand new episode for the Ultimate Doom. The intention is to make 3 new episodes, of which "The Dead Lives" is the first. Starting with an easy map, the maps get harder pretty fast. Except for E1M7, the maps are pretty much straight forward. Meaning, once you're on the right track, it's not hard keeping on to it.

The maps are in the same style as the original maps. This is the theme we fell in love with in the first place, so you'll definitely like it. Textures are not properly set here and there, but it didn't bother me much. The music is also the same, as are the map names.

Gameplay
Despite the fact of being limited by the limitations of Doom format, I think the wad is successful in avoiding repetitive gameplay. Although the maps may look quite alike, gameplay is different each map. Monsters are well placed and there's enough ammo for at least one person if you have item respawning on. Health packs are rather rare at certain points, but I guess that makes the maps a little more challenging. Still, I would recommend item respawn on both single player as well as multiplayer. The wad is definitely interesting for people who like a lot Shotgun and Chaingun action, because you'll get a lot of that here. The Rocket Launcher however is there sometimes, but with the amount of ammo available for it, it was rather missing out.

Overall
Definitely worth it to play through at least once. Not really something new except for the maps themselves, but seeing this was the intention of the author, it makes sense. So in conclusion, we see that the best part of the wad are the maps themselves, including their thing placements. If we look at the author's intention, there are no real issues except for bad texture offsets here and there to deduct points from the overall grade. However, it doesn't feel right to give more than 8 out of 10 points. So that is what it will be from me, 8/10.

Zdaemon Sessions Compatibility
Yes. I think this wad could be suitable for Zdaemon Sessions. The maps are big and open and contain more than enough action. However, I would recommend 2xMonster Strength and Monster speed or even Nightmare to make it interesting for 5 or 6 people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: