ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1v1 maps

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Tournament Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadfisH
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: 1v1 maps Reply with quote

http://www.cdevastation.com/zddl_forums/index.php?topic=56.0
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably as a result of this then I notice that NoStar is running Badblood on [TotalTrash]. Personally I enjoy the 'lucky dip' of arranging to play someone on one of these compilations and not knowing exactly what the map will be. Plus, yeah, there's repeat-play value as rather than having to trek to another server then you have next map right there.

Other compilations worth noting are Skirmish4d and Lethal.
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Probably as a result of this then I notice that NoStar is running Badblood on [TotalTrash]. Personally I enjoy the 'lucky dip' of arranging to play someone on one of these compilations and not knowing exactly what the map will be. Plus, yeah, there's repeat-play value as rather than having to trek to another server then you have next map right there.

Other compilations worth noting are Skirmish4d and Lethal.

I thought I was the only one who liked that! Would be nice for a league or something like that to use Skirmish4d and do that lucky dip system instead of the normal routine of the popular old school maps.
Swag
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badfish there's probably alot of wads, like that already out there... Like best10 is pretty close to the maps you suggested out of 10 maps... I remember Doom2.net having a wad called 2on2 made for a 2on2 tourney awhile ago. So yeah I'm sure shit has been done, but probably forgotten Razz
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few wads like that, and the idea was brought up before, but it's not really the greatest idea.

1. All recordings played on those maps would be unstandardized, can't watch old demos on the new wad, can't watch new demos on the old wads, because the map order changes.

2. Maps have customization things like the bottom menu bar, in D5M1 it's not the standard doom2.wad one, also the sounds would change. I can't imagine playing D5M1 using the Doom2.wad sounds, and I can't imagine playing Map1 with the D5M1 sounds. They are extremely different, and should prolly remain that way.

What we really need, is a callvote system that can change .wad files.

Swag: Ya, that was my 2on2 wad for my 2on2 tournament back in 2005 Smile It was okish since all the maps had the same sounds/graphics and had diff map slots, but putting Map1 and D5M1 together would be impossible Sad I thought the 2on2.wad idea didn't work too well either. There is a legends.wad that is pretty good too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying about lack of standardisation but is that really such a big deal? Just have to make sure you name such demos sensibly. With regards to demos taken on compilation WADs then the only real problem I see is that if you run thru like 8 maps back to back then a 'skip to match' option in the playback would be essential. Callvote would not help unless this was implemented.

The problem of replaced resources does remain but if you steer clear of Dwango maps in any compilation then most of the other big names don't make any changes to HUD display or SFX so all is good.
Ladna
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I know I'm kind of bringing this thread back a little, but this problem is easily solved (well, the solution is easy to explain anyway, implementing it idk).

As it stands now, when admins setup their .cfg files, they have lines that look like this

addmap map01
addmap map02

What could happen is:

addmap map01 doom2.wad
addmap map01 dwango5.wad
addmap map23 judas23_.wad

And so on. You can already specify multiple WADs on the command-line, so all the components are there. And this way you don't need a dozen 1v1 servers to cover classic maps + new maps. As for switching, you can just votemap outta there.

Quote:

All recordings on those maps would be unstandardized, can't watch old demos on the new wad, can't watch new demos on the old wads, because the map order changes.

Kinda. It would be easy to add a prefix to how we refer to 1v1 maps. D5M1 is still map01 on dwango5.wad. xD5M1 would be map02 of xDuel.wad (or whatever lame name someone comes up with). This way demo-viewing software that parses the demo filename to figure out what WADs to load wouldn't get confused and pick the wrong ones.

Quote:

With regards to demos taken on compilation WADs then the only real problem I see is that if you run thru like 8 maps back to back then a 'skip to match' option in the playback would be essential.

I pray to God every day that Kilgore performs a miracle and adds demo pausing, rewinding, and fast-forwarding. It's probably my single most-wanted feature ever. I'd probably even gift him $$$$ or something.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladna, this has already been suggested, and if you don't remember me asking you for a config a few weeks ago form an Odamex server that uses extra wads per map then you've a bad memory Smile

Ok, there's a few things wrong with what you've suggested:

Ladna wrote:
addmap map01 doom2.wad
addmap map01 dwango5.wad
addmap map23 judas23_.wad

doom2.wad should already be loaded, so why do we have to load it again? An idea would be like this:

-iwad doom2.wad (load an iwad for the server)
-file zvox4.wad (and any pwads you want to permamently load)
set optional_wads "zdosem1.wad zvox4.wad" (works as normal)
addmap map01 zdosem1.wad
addmap map23 judas23_.wad zdosem1.wad
addmap map01 dwango5.wad
addmap map01 king1.wad zdosem1.wad

As such, any wads listed after each addmap entry are extra wads that are loaded for that map only. Optional wads will still work the same (there will never be a case where a wad should be optional for one map, and required for another), and altwads will still be defined, checked if necessary. Extra work would need to be done with regards to voting, and also cvar overrides, so all that needs to be considered/discussed before anything like this actually happens.

Ladna wrote:
Kinda. It would be easy to add a prefix to how we refer to 1v1 maps. D5M1 is still map01 on dwango5.wad. xD5M1 would be map02 of xDuel.wad (or whatever lame name someone comes up with). This way demo-viewing software that parses the demo filename to figure out what WADs to load wouldn't get confused and pick the wrong ones.

What wads to load will be stored within the demo itself from 1.09 forward. This avoids that problem (especially if wads per map are implemented)

Ladna wrote:
I pray to God every day that Kilgore performs a miracle and adds demo pausing, rewinding, and fast-forwarding. It's probably my single most-wanted feature ever. I'd probably even gift him $$$$ or something.

Demos can be split at the map level (may be default, also optional if desired, perhaps default for the server and optional for the client) and demo pausing, rewinding, fast-forwarding, yes has been considered Smile you can pay be cheque.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ladna
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! See, you guys are way ahead of me. I don't need to sucker you w/ money Smile
Sultani
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badfish is a noob. That is all.

Maybe I should play this game again. Been awhile.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know/care who you are, but we're bound to meet if you revive old topics without a decent reason.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Tournament Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: