ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oceania Doom League
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Oceanic Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbbbb
Born with a creativity deficiency

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, if it was to happen, you would need 1, 2 or a max of 3 people on an administrative board who would make the hardline calls, beginning with the map choice. Like every proper sport, you need an authority figure to lay down and apply the rules. For example, the infamous Eblitzkrieg vs Jst in the CTF tourney. You cant give people the option.

If this is going to go ahead you need a couple of dedicated "officials", rather than everyone putting an input of how they think it should be run.
DarkeTiger
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always have two or even three winners, one for who scored the most frags, one who won the most matches, and one who had the best kill/death ratio.
Czar
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymun wrote:

no more than 8 people

why? i mean it should involve as many people as possible..get some action going..limiting the amount of spots is stupid, thats why u have finals..
andymun
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar wrote:
andymun wrote:

no more than 8 people

why? i mean it should involve as many people as possible..get some action going..limiting the amount of spots is stupid, thats why u have finals..

The commitment of people in oceania is very poor. Less people means more reliability in that it will get done. If uncapped we'll have players like Stewboy who come and go and thus holding up everyone else.
Robbbbb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar wrote:

Because first off, getting 8 is hard enough. 8 dedicated enough to finish all their games, that is.
Secondly, if you have too many people it will take too long
Thirdly, Once you have too many people, some lose interest, and it makes it harder to get them playing their games
Czar
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbbbb wrote:
Czar wrote:

Because first off, getting 8 is hard enough. 8 dedicated enough to finish all their games, that is.
Thirdly, Once you have too many people, some lose interest, and it makes it harder to get them playing their games

the point of this, over a tournament would be that its seasonal. once every year....so you got a good 4 odd months to play games or w/e....im sure we can locate more than 8 people willing to play...
andymun
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar wrote:
Robbbbb wrote:
Czar wrote:

the point of this, over a tournament would be that its seasonal. once every year....so you got a good 4 odd months to play games or w/e....im sure we can locate more than 8 people willing to play...

Well, we'll call this Season 1 and use it as a trial season. If it's successful we may increase it to 12 players in Season 2, and maybe unlimited in the future.
Robbbbb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to have a time limit to play games.

If you leave it too long, people simply put it off and it doesnt get played.
vapid
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can possibly join late (considing it's being pushed as a "seasonal" tournament) I might sign up. Everyone knows when I have access I'm active enough to make up for a late start.

Speaking of good wads/maps that people haven't played much of:
The Point Blank series of wads are quite good, 2 or 5 from memory are decent and 8 definately.
StyxDM map01: We played map02 in a tourney ages ago, map01 kills it though.
Even brooksey's oceanic tourney wad would be worth a start.
If not, have a comp between mappers like andy/scave/blitz/brooksey and see who can come up with the best duel wad for the finals.

The need for officials is dire and when it comes to sign ups, officials like rob and czar should be on a board to decide what players are active enough to join. Otherwise you could open it up to whoever wants in and have a time frame for matches with massive debts for forfeits. But that idea reeks of loopholes and conflicts.
andymun
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vapid wrote:
If I can possibly join late (considing it's being pushed as a "seasonal" tournament) I might sign up. Everyone knows when I have access I'm active enough to make up for a late start.

Speaking of good wads/maps that people haven't played much of:
The Point Blank series of wads are quite good, 2 or 5 from memory are decent and 8 definately.
StyxDM map01: We played map02 in a tourney ages ago, map01 kills it though.
Even brooksey's oceanic tourney wad would be worth a start.
If not, have a comp between mappers like andy/scave/blitz/brooksey and see who can come up with the best duel wad for the finals.

The need for officials is dire and when it comes to sign ups, officials like rob and czar should be on a board to decide what players are active enough to join. Otherwise you could open it up to whoever wants in and have a time frame for matches with massive debts for forfeits. But that idea reeks of loopholes and conflicts.

Hey man, when will you be back? The admins for this are rob, ry and myself. Maps are fuloser for round robin and the 3 maps for the semis are moo2d, pobla8 and dweller2.

* Topic is: Admin Team: Rob, Ry, Andy
Players: 8
Rules: Round Robin
- Play each player once
- 5 wks
- Must play at least one person/wk
- RR stage = 1 map
- Finals = 3 maps
- Once a game is started, must be finished. Otherwise counted as a forfeit
- Round Robin has one match on fuloser
- Finals has three matches- moo2d pobla8 and dweller2 (in that order)
- 50 frags, No freelook, jump, crosshair or timelimit
vapid
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now it's looking like being Nov. 25-28th. I've still got a heap of loose ends to tie up before then, and I'm unsure of how long I'll actually be at home for. Could be anytime between 3 weeks (at the very least) and 3 months. It really all depends on when I can move out of my current house. I won't be going home at all if my landlady makes me pay rent over christmas.

Concrete figures are that I'll be home at least from Nov 28 to Dec 17, but I might stick around for christmas/new year.
andymun
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vapid wrote:
Right now it's looking like being Nov. 25-28th. I've still got a heap of loose ends to tie up before then, and I'm unsure of how long I'll actually be at home for. Could be anytime between 3 weeks (at the very least) and 3 months. It really all depends on when I can move out of my current house. I won't be going home at all if my landlady makes me pay rent over christmas.

Concrete figures are that I'll be home at least from Nov 28 to Dec 17, but I might stick around for christmas/new year.

I'll be gone from December 4 to til about December 20 Laughing
Czar
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ODL is dead. gg
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs moar Robbbbb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarkeTiger
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs moar Freelook
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need moar British.
Czar
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it certainly does not!
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he means [GB] Get's shit done
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle-Eye wrote:

Yeah, the EDL was quite successful. Maybe you could give these guys some guidance on how to organize such a league.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Robbbbb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Eagle-Eye wrote:

Yeah, the EDL was quite successful. Maybe you could give these guys some guidance on how to organize such a league.

It's not the guidance we need. We've had many successful tournaments. It's the playerbase. We simply do not have enough good, committed players to have a successful competitive league.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Oceanic Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: