ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

zdoom 2.2.0 features?

 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
flashn00b
has entered the game!


Joined: 25 Feb 2005

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: zdoom 2.2.0 features? Reply with quote

Could you implement some features from zdoom 2.2.0 such as the ability to load pk3 files, use a weapon's secondary fire, and the use of SVN files?

The reason why i ask is that some wad developers such as DBThanatos are now making zdoom pk3's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Body-Guard
Spamming!


Joined: 08 Jan 2006
Location: Hungary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many topics like this were shot down before. I suggest you to read the 1.09 Thread first. It tells you what you can expect for the close and the distant future. I think about PK3 support were already some words, and NO'd before. Weapon secondary fire is depends on DECORATE, and implementing similar lump is not planned for the foreseeable future.

Of course you can make suggestions, just think before posting. The features you described involve a lot of non-top priority work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Quiksilver
Spamming!


Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Location: Portlandia, Oregon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 1.09 will not change the zdoom version. Its unfortunate, as I would jerk off to the notion of gzdoom in ZD and all those neat things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The[TKG]SnakeEater
On a Rampage!


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Location: It sucks why you ask?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About as much as I know, the new zdoom 2 engine is stable, you and I are going to have too live they use this terrible unstable version and just add updates, but look at the bright side, at least this is better then odamex Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Quiksilver
Spamming!


Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Location: Portlandia, Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol the answer to everything. "At least it isn't Oda"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stealth
Gone with the wind


Joined: 09 Nov 2004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The[TKG]SnakeEater wrote:
About as much as I know, the new zdoom 2 engine is stable, you and I are going to have too live they use this terrible unstable version and just add updates, but look at the bright side, at least this is better then odamex Wink

Which bit's unstable? And you think we wouldn't use ZDoom 2.0 if it was feasable? There's many things, one is that ZDoom 2 is in constant development, with new things that break other things when unnecessary, it's also much less like Doom than you'd like to hope, and a lot of code in ZDaemon is tied to the version it was written for. Upgrading to a ZDoom 2.x codebase would bring more drawbacks than benefits. Things can be backported if necessary. Look at ACS in 1.09 for example. A fully functional, client/server implementation of ACS in ZDoom 1.23 beta 23. Things can easily be added as they are needed.

Additionally, Odamex is in early development, yet it already has features ZDaemon doesn't. Their aim is different, as they're trying to promote a more classic Doom2 feel with demo compatibility, mouse movement and engine stuffs. Eventually it'll be a bit better, so it's not smart to bash Odamex when you realize ZDaemon has been around a lot longer, and is a lot larger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostlyDeath
Spamming!


Joined: 28 Mar 2005

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skulltag would be better for you if you wanted shit loads of features. Usually simple things are better than the complex.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ronald
Rontard


Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Location: Netherlands Clan: [QnB]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
Look at ACS in 1.09 for example. A fully functional, client/server implementation of ACS in ZDoom 1.23 beta 23.


Are you sure about this? I remember having a conversation with Kilgore about this and I believe he said that some acs functions for that version of Zdoom will be shoven ahead to later versions of Zdaemon due to complications. I'm talking about functions like Thing_Hate and printing custom HUD messages. Not sure, but this is what I understood from that conversation.

Stealth wrote:
Things can easily be added as they are needed.


I disagree on this point. It involves a lot of perspectives to add new features. This takes a lot of time investigating the consequences of adding a new feature. I wouldn't call this easy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The[TKG]SnakeEater
On a Rampage!


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Location: It sucks why you ask?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
The[TKG]SnakeEater wrote:
About as much as I know, the new zdoom 2 engine is stable, you and I are going to have too live they use this terrible unstable version and just add updates, but look at the bright side, at least this is better then odamex Wink

Which bit's unstable? And you think we wouldn't use ZDoom 2.0 if it was feasable? There's many things, one is that ZDoom 2 is in constant development, with new things that break other things when unnecessary, it's also much less like Doom than you'd like to hope, and a lot of code in ZDaemon is tied to the version it was written for. Upgrading to a ZDoom 2.x codebase would bring more drawbacks than benefits. Things can be backported if necessary. Look at ACS in 1.09 for example. A fully functional, client/server implementation of ACS in ZDoom 1.23 beta 23. Things can easily be added as they are needed.

Additionally, Odamex is in early development, yet it already has features ZDaemon doesn't. Their aim is different, as they're trying to promote a more classic Doom2 feel with demo compatibility, mouse movement and engine stuffs. Eventually it'll be a bit better, so it's not smart to bash Odamex when you realize ZDaemon has been around a lot longer, and is a lot larger.


:S stealth your thinking of 2.1.7 or something like that, 2.2.0 is stable
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The[TKG]SnakeEater
On a Rampage!


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Location: It sucks why you ask?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostlyDeath wrote:
Skulltag would be better for you if you wanted shit loads of features. Usually simple things are better than the complex.

uh zdaemon has a load of complex features that i never even need to use, because the zdoom writing has its same features in some ways, like the options menu for example, a whole bunch of things, being able to bind buttons that are really useless if you use a mouse to aim, fire, look around, and ect... but this goes to all versions of zdoom except the one odamex uses
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stealth
Gone with the wind


Joined: 09 Nov 2004

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The[TKG]SnakeEater wrote:
:S stealth your thinking of 2.1.7 or something like that, 2.2.0 is stable

You've done yourself in there. Did I say any ZDoom 2.x was unstable? No. I simply asked where you thought ZDaemon's 1.23 codebase is unstable, when serious work has been put in to fixing bugs. I could write a lot here, but I'll simply ask you to back your theory that a ZDoom 2.x codebase is more feasable, and I'll reply to your answers as best I can.

The[TKG]SnakeEater wrote:
uh zdaemon has a load of complex features that i never even need to use, because the zdoom writing has its same features in some ways, like the options menu for example, a whole bunch of things, being able to bind buttons that are really useless if you use a mouse to aim, fire, look around, and ect... but this goes to all versions of zdoom except the one odamex uses

So, just because SnakeEater doesn't use certain features we will simply remove them? Such as binding keyboard buttons to turn and fire, you say? We'll just assume everyone uses the mouse nowadays and effectively rule out keyboarders? Not to mention you fail to realize that the mouse buttons are classed as buttons.

There are simple solutions to all of these comments. If you want to play classic doom, 100% true to the original, go PLAY the original. Don't complain that ZDaemon has this and that which is different from doom2.exe, because if we were to mimic doom2.exe we'd simply download doom2.exe and stick it in with the ZDaemon package. Want brash newschool features like 3d floors and DECORATE? Try out Skulltag. I honestly don't see why people want ZDaemon to copy Skulltag in that respect when Skulltag already exists. ZDaemon is a players port. As far as I can assume, Skulltag is a mappers port, because frankly I don't like the feel of play in Skulltag. Everyone to their own tastes, don't go to Russia and demand that everyone speaks english because you're more familiar with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group