ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What color would you choose for the 5th player in doom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: What color would you choose for the 5th player in doom Reply with quote

If vanilla doom was able to support more than 4 players and you were able to choose the color for the fifth player, what color would you choose? I know this question is kind of random, but hey what isn't in this forum?

I personally would have to go with blue. It just seems like blue would be the next color. In fact I even remember some wad a long time ago where it would change everyone's color to blue so that no one would know exactly who anyone else was. (Basically used to prevent experienced players from ganging up on newbie players in ffa I guess.)
WeaponX
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't red and blue standard colours in ctf gaming Rolling Eyes
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a little spaka.
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeaponX wrote:
isn't red and blue standard colours in ctf gaming Rolling Eyes

*Ahem*
DooM is a much, much older game than ZDaemon CTF.
Madgunner is referring to the 4 standard marine start colours of DooM multiplayer which are green, indigo (grey), brown, and red.
Blue was not a marine colour in the original DooM multiplayer setup.
I don't know why ID chose those original colours... blue would definitely have been there before indigo or brown in my world but hey to each his own.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

switcher wrote:
DooM is a much, much older game than ZDaemon CTF.
Madgunner is referring to the 4 standard marine start colours of DooM multiplayer which are green, indigo (grey), brown, and red.
Blue was not a marine colour in the original DooM multiplayer setup.
I don't know why ID chose those original colours... blue would definitely have been there before indigo or brown in my world but hey to each his own.

well i'd choose these colours: chameleon_background /for me/, pink, yellow and neon purple. i always thought the faded colours were chosen to give all players relatively same contrast to background. noone wants to be mr. pink, everyone wants to be mr. black. with all colours dragged through the drainage, there's some sort of equality.
also there's no point in arguing over the fifth colour, everything allowing a fifth player should allow you to choose custom colours, therefore no need for default order....

now, let me hijack this thread for something more important :)

...on the other hand, the option to give custom colours to your opponents is VERY interesting. from the edl experience, even the super-oldschool dogs like ocelot tend to make the opponent as bright as possible /yea, mr pink/, not respecting their choice. although i'm quite the ns guy, i don't use this cool new feature, because i don't like it and i find it a bit unfair. what's your opinion? :)
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The custom enemy color is a feature present in just about every modern FPS. I myself don't use it at all in CTF but in the rare duel I'll choose a more contrasting color depending on the map being played.
TheMionicDonut
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue/Indigo was supposed to be the second color, but for some reason it shows up as gray. That being said methinks the fifth color should have been orange or something.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewww wrote:
from the edl experience, even the super-oldschool dogs like ocelot tend to make the opponent as bright as possible /yea, mr pink/, not respecting their choice. although i'm quite the ns guy, i don't use this cool new feature, because i don't like it and i find it a bit unfair. what's your opinion? Smile

Lol what a lamer! Perhaps the force colour options should be disabled on OS servers? Maybe if a server is judged to be running 'OS' settings then it should force a random one of the default EXE colours on each player?

Madgunner wrote:
In fact I even remember some wad a long time ago where it would change everyone's color to blue so that no one would know exactly who anyone else was.

Yeah, I have a WAD called Stark which, as the maps are predominantly white does the same thing and forces all players into a near-black skin Razz
Serp_i_Molot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you think about it, Doomguy is a Marine, right? Marines wear military fatigues with the colors Green, Black, and Brown. I can totally see why ID chose those three colors before blue.

If I had to choose a fifth color, I would probably choose yellow/light brown in order to keep up with the whole military theme (maybe Doomguy was fighting in a desert Razz)
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
dewww wrote:
from the edl experience, even the super-oldschool dogs like ocelot tend to make the opponent as bright as possible /yea, mr pink/, not respecting their choice. although i'm quite the ns guy, i don't use this cool new feature, because i don't like it and i find it a bit unfair. what's your opinion? Smile

Lol what a lamer!

Haha, I also find it funny that the EXE zealots complain about ZD evolving yet they take full advantage of its "non-Doom" features Cool.
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewww wrote:
...on the other hand, the option to give custom colours to your opponents is VERY interesting...

Hmmm that's funny, how come I never heard of this?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhiteKnight
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my opponents are red as it's probably the only colour I can see properly. My 5th Doomguy would be pink as its kinda the missing colour.
DarkeTiger
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteKnight wrote:
All my opponents are red as it's probably the only colour I can see properly. My 5th Doomguy would be pink as its kinda the missing colour.

I think the last colour I would want all my opponents to be is red, considering when you get shot... OMG OPPONENTS ARE ALL OVER MY SCREEN!!!

The pink marine seems like a good idea (could be female...crash?) or maybe just some gay marine... real men wear pink
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people keep thinking that when you get shot the red guys are impossible to see? That's just plain bullshit and you may need to test your eyes out, red is a good colour on, what I can think, most maps. It stand out alot, and surely pink would be just as bad with the red screen? But I see most of the top players using pink for their enemies. So hmm yeah, check your eyes.

I agree with serp with sticking with marine colours, the idea keeps within the doom theme and can blend in with some textures etc.
WhiteKnight
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously I'm an exception as I use the new "Enemy is one colour" feature, but I would back up each player having his/her own unique colour.

I think I'm brown but the little square is a dark shade of Pink.
Puffs wear pink btw, and as I said, I'm actually wearing brown Smile
DarkeTiger
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle-Eye wrote:
Why do people keep thinking that when you get shot the red guys are impossible to see? That's just plain bullshit and you may need to test your eyes out

I never said red was impossible to see, red characters just blend in with a red background, and if you think red doesn't blend with red, I suggest YOU get your eyes checked... cherry boy
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think white would be the most ideal color to set your enemies to, since most of the doom backgrounds and environments are dark it would be hard for a light color to blend in with a dark background. But, then again, doom's limited colors may ruin it, since if a white player moved into a dark room, they may become grayish.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one map where a lot of players got caught out was when Zmas was used as a tourney venue and some people were taking serious advantage of all that snow Razz
niv
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White, since it's the only other color a marine would wear most likely (in snow terrain).
Then again, it's also a disadvantageous color, unless you're playing a map with a white background.
999cop
Daemon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want pink, it's a wonderful color for hell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: