ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cDUEL1 - ZDoom Duel Map
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DX-Chain
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: cDUEL1 - ZDoom Duel Map Reply with quote

This is a ZDoom format duel map I made over the last three days, after having a Quake 4 binge and not being able to find a ZD game. You may have also seen an incarnation of the layout in Lazarus (Map26), but I couldn't do much then, as that project is Boom format.

This map could be considered a ZDoom port of the Q4 map "Monsoon" by Lukin. Making this map was also a way to address the lack of true modern maps and as such, cDUEL1 is both ZD and Skulltag compatible Smile.

cDUEL1 is simple and the focus is entirely on gameplay. However, I did include just the right amount of detail, for anyone that has a heart attack over the lack of it. The map exploits an area that is 99% overlooked by mappers shooting for a "newschool" type map, and that is vertical action.

The pistol has been replaced by the chaingun, as it lets the action start immediately while not being completely helpless (all other weapons are the same as Doom2, except with new sounds).

Anyway, on with some screenies:

There are a couple of things that don't work just yet in ZD, so please be sure to read the included .txt file. There also is a simple gameplay video linked in the .txt but it's for Skulltag for now (I may do a ZD one soon).

Suggested ZServ settings (as of 1.08.05):

maxplayers 2
fraglimit 30
DMFLAGS 21828
DMFLAGS2 131072
sv_aircontrol ".1" (10% air control)
sv_deathlimit "5" (force respawn interval)

Get cDUEL1 here!

Play it on Doomed Earth [A7] - cDUEL1 Map01 1-vs-1 - 72.9.154.184:10607

EDIT: Slight change was made (one flat had the wrong texture), so grab the new version Razz
[SIN]Hatred
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Luis! The lay-out is solid, along with great detail and texturing.
It seems to have a quake-like style to it but still with the original doom2 weapons. Impressive work, keep it up!
lockwolf
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, let me say that this map has restored my faith in new maps! As a former Quake/Unreal Tournament player, I have had some trouble getting used to really flat rooms.

Now onto the review!

Gameplay: As a former Quake/UT player, I felt right at home with this newschool map. Lots of jumping, lots of height, lots of jump pads & everything to give it that Quake/UT feel. Also, starting with the chaingun makes everything feel great! The map flows really well too! The bridges give it a 3D Floors feel which gives it more of a Quake/UT feel. There are a few tight spaces in the hallways but plenty of space for everything.

Weapon/Powerup placement: Everything is placed really well! Starting with a chaingun is a great thing because they always seem like an awkward weapon to place. The placement of the BFG, Backpack & Beserker because of their diffuculty to get. I like the crossmap jum you have to do to get the beserker. The plasma rifle seems really easy to get which can lead so spamming in some of the hallways. There is plenty of ammo to keep you going so you don't need to worry about suicide halfway through the map.

Detail: One more thing that gives it that Quake/UT feel is the amazing detailing. Everywhere you look there is another piece of eye candy staring you in the face. There are a few small parts in the map that don't feel as nice as the rest but thats nothing compared to the rest of the beauty of the map.

Overall: This map merges the gap between Zdaemon's Capability & Quake-Style Maps. This gives a bright future to the newschool players that are switching from Quake to Doom. I recommend this map should not be played by oldschool or newer players but it is still amazing none the less.

Score: 9/10

Last edited by lockwolf on Thu May 01, 2008 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lockwolf wrote:
I highly would not reccomend this map

Mr Cheater? Zat you?

Guess he's just too damn excited about it to spell straight!
lockwolf
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
lockwolf wrote:
I highly would not reccomend this map

Mr Cheater? Zat you?

Guess he's just too damn excited about it to spell straight!

Actually, I had just woke up at the time. Edited for accuracy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[WH]-Wilou84
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice map :>
Indeed the vertical action is not really common in Doom maps, and this is a cool thing you bring here. Detailing is excellent. I loved those Quake 4 sounds Smile

Oh and yeah, without the air control you can get stuck behind some jump pads.

I hope to see this one soon in a NS tourney :p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizoN ServeR #17 | ZDReview - cDUEL1

Now Europe can battle in style too Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

• I like the layout/gameplay quite a bit (which is something I rarely say about any map).
  • Detailing/looks appear nice, although you could use ashwall throughout for all I care. That's just not a factor for me.
  • One thing I did dislike are the changed sounds: they're distracting. The item respawn sound in particular reminds me of the sound of plasma firing.
  • About the new armor placement: I think you can bring back the older one very soon: it was way superior to the new one and the client bug that prompted the replacement is already fixed.
  • It could use a bit larger dimensions overall. The doom speed enables you to go from one end of the map to the other in a couple of seconds (if you know the map tricks).
Overall.... it's one of the best NS duel maps I've seen in ZDaemon. Congrats.
qwaszx-
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just playing this wad with Link. We realize something very weird, the sound when you pick-up and item or when they are respawning can be heard all over the level. This means I could predict where he was. For example, in the little room with those health bonus, you normally run and pick-up all of them; I got a few kills with this.

You can tell you just to turn down the "Sound Effect Volume" but, I'm sure some people around here use the sound of the weapons as reference or is just part of their strategy.

I don't know if it was intentional, but I must say that after a few minutes the sound of all items respawning is pretty anoying and can distract you very easy. The map is good, no need to write about it, everything have been said.
DX-Chain
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore: When the new ZD client is ready, I should definitely make a new release with the old armor placement back (in the old version, the armors were floating and required jumping). As for the dimensions, I tried to model it after Lazarus Map04 (a fast map in its own right)--there's just a thing I dislike about 50-minute campy duels, and larger maps have a big hand in making those happen. Glad you like the map Smile.

Qwaszx: The pickup sounds are not so much a map feature but rather a server setting. The map is meant for newschool/modern (whatever you want to call it) style of play and allowing pickup sounds is an element of that. It just means you have to adjust your game to NOT be as noisy, as that gives your opponent an opportunity to ambush you or learn your patterns.

Stealth: Thanks for the server mate Cool.
Welkin
God like!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice map nice trik
but too short for me, i have the feeling to fight always in corridor
the map is not open anymore for me and you saerch alway the adversair

i saw a map in st from you (new st or something like that in a video don't remember the name) seems better as this one for the gameplay

anyway its just my opinion
Thadeuss
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this one looks good, looking forward to trying it out.
rygrass
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo looks awsome i put it up on NZdoom severs for us oceania to put it to the test =D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fluffles
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it and it's really good for practising your mouselooking skills. I never ever normally use mouselook so I'm still learning alot on the map. Just love it so much totally awesome map!
Welkin
God like!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChainDM seems awesome for newschool too
http://skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9685&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6058/doom0205vr2.png
why don't make that wad for zdaemon too

Last edited by Welkin on Tue May 06, 2008 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eagle-Eye
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol in that picture the rocket is as big as the marine
DX-Chain
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welkin: I really wish I could make ChainDM ZDaemon compatible as well, but many of these features are not supported in the current (or even future) versions of ZD:

-High-res textures
-DECORATE custom weapons/items support
-More intricate ACS functions (like the instant weapon switch and Duke3d-style cameras)
-The air acceleration/air control in ST is more Quake-like, so the jumps/tricks seen in the preview vids for ChainDM would be impossible to do on ZD

I actually am thinking of removing the high-res textures used in that project because it's a pain in the ass working with them (and after the detailing I did on cDUEL, I like the Doom feel more). If ZD ever supports DECORATE or more ACS, that would make it easier for me to port the project here.
Welkin
God like!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't need
-High-res textures
-DECORATE custom weapons/items support

you prove with cDuel you can have lowr├ęsolution texture and a great visuel map
all trik seems in cDuel are cool.. maybe an adaptation can be done
The air acceleration/air control can maybe change with a autojump like in cDuel ..i dunno but that will be awesome
DX-Chain
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something could be done, yes. ChainDM has CTF maps as well, so we'll see if I can do the same for ZD (3 CTF, 3 Duel, 3 TDM)--all in a newschool pack Smile.
BestOfTheWorst
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really plassed job in mapping/porting. The vertical action really brings a completely new twist to the game. Twisted Evil You should really port over more maps like this Cool

now as for ChainDM incompatible features: Razz

Actually High-res textures work in 1.08 already, you just have to use the TEXTURE -lump Xscale and Yscale properties instead of the HIRESTEX lump.

There most probably wount be decorate support, but custom weapons and items can still most certainly be added in 1.09.. How possible/well the decorate items or weapons can be ported, depends really on what kind of stuff you're going to make.

More ACS functions.. thats 1.09. hopefully Smile

And for the camera, if you're thinking about camera textures, that wount happen before a new texturemanager is implemented/ported. The other type of cameras that will be supported in 1.09 probably wount fit in a deathmatch environment very well :p

and err yeah, the ST type of air acceleration probably isnt going to happen.. while you cant make the wad compatible, how much would its 'idea' suffer if you'd port it without this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: