ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sspooha.wad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: sspooha.wad Reply with quote

Hi there,
havn't made a map in a while and everyone seems to be "pulling things out of their asses" so i thought i'd pucker up and join in Cool

please have a look and give me a few thoughts?
the map is intended for an NS, 1 on 1 map and 30 frag limit.

http://two.xthost.info/eferhyjk/sspooha.wad

thanks guys.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: sspooha.wad Reply with quote

Sniper wrote:
...everyone seems to be "pulling things out of their asses" so i thought i'd pucker up and join in.

Oh everyone else is doing it so that's ok? Mad

Meh, I might comment later. All I'm saying for now is if people can't be bothered to find more meaningful names for their maps then I'll be flushing any more such turds Cool
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like turds
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*walks in.....looks around........turns around....leaves...*
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not really up for the symmetrical layouts, but this isn't a bad attempt. I still think you spent more time detailing it than working on the layout, though. So if you're going to detail it at all, you might as well go the rest of the way. There are quite a few odd texture and flat choices, many of which don't coincide with each other.

Also some other notes:
1. The plasma rifle set up is pretty cool, although I'd rather see a SSG down there and nothing else. These arena-style maps don't hold up too well with plasma rifles, imo.
2. Never place things on the edges of lines. Otherwise they can fade in and out of existance. Or not appear in the sector you intend them to.
3. Because of an inconsistency in ZDaemon, your BFG is bumpable, and quite easily. In theory, an item should not be gettable if it is at least 57 units over your head. In ZDaemon it can be up to like 72, or some rediculous number like that.
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers EarthQuake, and thanks for not expecting a masterpiece like GhoulSlayeR, real mature there Ghoul.

yeah i noticed when testing it that the health bonuses hadnt worked on one side of the map, kinda embedded into the wall.

i'll take some of this into consideration and polish the map up a bit. and change the wad name for cybershark Cool
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper wrote:
cheers EarthQuake, and thanks for not expecting a masterpiece like GhoulSlayeR, real mature there Ghoul.

I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, I was expecting tragedy actually. A tragedy on how unoriginal this is. People shouldn't mimic other peoples' work, but instead, make something original. I seen countless Onslaught clones along with countless omgmaps clones and they all don't catch my interest because they mimic a classic. I suppose mappers made them because people liked the originals and the mappers thought that their wad would get played if it resembled a classic.

My best advice is to be original and try not to mimic an idea that is/has been out there. It wont make a wad any popular and I'm sure it doesn't make the mapper who made the original wad all that happy

Confused
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My best advice is to be original and try not to mimic an idea that is/has been out there. It wont make a wad any popular and I'm sure it doesn't make the mapper who made the original wad all that happy

FYI, i made this map from scratch with no intention of it being alike another wad.
at the end of the day as a more experienced mapper than i am you should show it, instead of jumping to conclusions about my work. please don't recomment my topic unless you have some usefull, non-biased guidance.

cheers,

sniper.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, this map of Sniper's resemble nothing of SIPOOMA other than the name. I think it's a great map to play, mainly a SSG/RL arena which can be exciting with the amount of rockets each player can grab.

I played a few rounds with a couple of players last night and all went well, maybe just a few tweaks here and there and it'll be better. I have adopted this map as my own.

Thank you SnipeR. Cool
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper wrote:
Quote:

FYI, i made this map from scratch with no intention of it being alike another wad.
at the end of the day as a more experienced mapper than i am you should show it, instead of jumping to conclusions about my work. please don't recomment my topic unless you have some usefull, non-biased guidance.

cheers,

sniper.

Well me and Cybershark were talking one day and he thought people were gonna start pulling wads out because of sipooma. I didn't believe him untill I saw this thread. I just dont want to see 59347634907 sipooma clones out there flooding the internets and nor does He.....Im sure Embarassed

It looks like a spinoff of another wad, because of the name and concept, and it is quite obvious in your 1st post and wadname. But the map does look quite different so that is something noteable.

about some "useful, non biased guidance"? Well I see feedback from a map to be totally biased no matter how you slice it, Someone might like that BFG grab the way it is and someone might hate it. A good amount of all mapping feedback is based on personal preference, So telling me that is like telling everyone else not to post.

sorry if it seems like Im a dick but it is just how I feel, and Im entitled to my opinions on a public forum (when it doesnt cross the line).

rest assure it isnt personal.

Last edited by GhoulSlayeR on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, ive took into account what you said!
and ive come up with a newer version:

http://two.xthost.info/wadfiles/symmdm.wad

please take a look Smile

ive made corridors less cramped, added detail around the map, made the bfg un-glitchable, removed some ssg's, and the health bonus glitch.

and gave the wad a more appropriate name, symmdm (symmetrical deathmatch)
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at this map andI have to say I see potential in the gameplay. I think it would play decent, since the plasma spot is pretty smart placed and I like how you can go pretty many ways.

Only the looks is for me not so exciting. But I think it is to do. Razz It can be better though.

Now I will play it in the future so I can give more feedback.

EDIT: I just saw the new version, and I think the plasma spot is now improved. So good job on that. Looks is also a tad better. Keep it up.
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers space i appreciate your time!
and as for textures yeah if i had a little more time on my hands i'd be bothered to go into custom texturing here (ive done it before on previous maps), but im still mediocre when it comes to XWE.

and also could someone tell me how to edit the menu screen when you press escape? tha'd be great (for future reference too)

thanks,

Snipeh
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yeah it was the name that was the problem here. I did have some comments on the actual map but I'll hold 'em over until I take a look at the newer version. Glad to hear you fixed stuff like those health pickups.

And 'edit the menu screen'? You mean like replacing the 'DOOM][' logo? Or the menu options? Eitherway it's not hard and you'll probably grasp it if you go into XWE and open up some WAD which does such things.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,so this is improving nicely. I don't personally like the fence around the plasma area as it doesn't give much space to squeeze by the teleport. Also, on a visual note, then just look at that fence and see how it bleeds down into the wall it's on. It's not something that's obvious to know how to deal with and the way to prevent it is to have the fence textures be the joining lines between two sectors and then either have a small difference in height or brightness between those two sectors Wink

Glad you fixed the health pickups - and yes, stimpacks are much more realistic than the 1%s.

I liked plasma before. SSG in that hole is kinda pointless as there's plenty of others around.

The lamps in the hallways are a pain in the ass - maybe best to set them back a bit more and put some impassible lines there to smooth out the corridors?

And I was going to moan about the lack of SG and CG in such a map - particularly from a guy called 'Sniper'. Glad to see you rethought that.

Aside from that then it's not terrible. The BFG is placed sensibly enough and the plasma's really not bad either. The first teleport was done well but the new teleport I don't feel adds much other than a bit of confusion really. Seems to just be there for the sake of filling a bit of space and breaking up those monotonous outer hallways.

It plays well with a bot although I don't think NS settings are necessary. As it stood then I thought it'd probably better suit 4way DM but it's definitely feeling more like a duel map now.
TimeOfDeath
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I just see a dildo? Shocked
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk, was that what Sniper pulled out of his ass? Twisted Evil
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol'd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: