ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is anyone interested in tournaments anymore?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Is anyone interested in tournaments anymore? Reply with quote

For the past few months, I've been making brackets and they haven't been filled. Games get played, but players often forget (I'm guilty of it too) that they still have games to play Razz.

Even this past month, I made four tournaments and two of them barely made it over five entrants. I was thinking of just downgrading to one tournament a month, and allowing only 8 players to enter - with the occasional addition of a special tournament (heretic, ns etc).

Does anybody who enters these tournaments have any suggestions or comments about this idea? As lazy as I have become, it's not entirely my fault tournaments don't get finished (or even started) Razz.

Suggestions and comments would be much appreciated!
Gamma
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen the decrease in the number of people joining tourneys too. Maybe people are getting bored of playing the same people in tourneys or b/c people just arent interested
Fastidious
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone should just join the IDL! Cool
Whymes
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i think that a lot of people would like to tourny, but many of the tournies played dont have the best way to sign up for one, but I don't know how to fix it, but i know that it should be changed, I think with change , you can make it easier to sign up, and also more organized. Also the exp 'reccomdendation' scares some people away, and like the above said, theres only so many players in zdaemon, and playing with the same people over and over gets old.

I think a revamp to the system needs to be made, but this is coming from a random noob who's never tournied =/

I dont plany on tournying as i'd never be able to, but I see that a new system should be put in place, but i dont have any reccomendations as to what
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ItalianStallion
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I would like to do a tourney. But imo, they should be all done in a single day, or night. Having people do it whenever the other person is on or wtv, just sucks. Like have something like FNF just make it a tourney thats all. It probably won't work though, trying to get a whole bunch of people on at the same time, but its worth a try no?
lockwolf
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItalianStallion wrote:
Sure I would like to do a tourney. But imo, they should be all done in a single day, or night. Having people do it whenever the other person is on or wtv, just sucks. Like have something like FNF just make it a tourney thats all. It probably won't work though, trying to get a whole bunch of people on at the same time, but its worth a try no?

I think your idea may work a little bit better. Just announce it a week ahead of time, say meet in an IRC channel like #Tourney and the first 16 players in get to play or something like that. Its worth a shot
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Fast. but i think you mean the ZDDL in this case, no? Razz

Whymes wrote:
many of the tournies played dont have the best way to sign up for one

uh... ridiculous. you don't even have to be signed up on the forums or use ZDIRC to register for/arrange a game.

it is sad to see only the same old names sign up each month but i'll agree with Bones that this isn't all down to him. DemonXP and Pride are supposed to be helping him out here Sad
in Europe, Ragnarok and Darg have become much more militant with regards to getting games played and it works! but then there seldom seems to be the shortage of registrants in Europe either.

and Stallion's idea is kinda a double-edged sword. it does sound like a hell of a lot of fun but part of the appeal to a lot of tourneygoers is that they do have the freedom to play whenever. still, it'd be real interesting to run one that way, like a 15-in-24 tourney Smile
if it was all run through a channel in IRC - and people were let know ahead of time - then i bet you'd see a lot more interest from fresh faces.

Last edited by Cybershark on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whymes
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM i like what ItalianStallion said
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pugly
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody Preffer the FFA or TDM Now, But the Tourneys Needs A Best Form to Redlut Players to Play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kurama_Youko
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTF tournaments! Very Happy
Gamma
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the CTF tourney sounds nice Smile
XkiLL
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTF tournaments sound nice, but the only problem is getting all the members on in the same day when you need them. Somebody allways lets you down,
Gamma
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why you have subs Wink
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Stallions idea; it could even be something that runs over a weekend or 2-3 days. I may end up going in that direction, but I'm going to set up a few polls and see how things go before making any final decisions.

As for the CTF tournaments...all but 1 were never finished, as most people lost interest. However, I'm up for trying it again, seeing as there's a few more quality wads out there now; but again, I'm going to set up some polls because its clear the tournament system needs some revamping.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, the Euro tourneys (both CTF and 1on1) seem to all get finished. so i'd repeat that the problem is with the players and - no offense - the admin on the US side.
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've admitted several times I'm extremely lazy (I did it again! Razz), but I suppose I've gotten so used to people not playing their games..

Anyway, daydreaming during school brought me a rough idea of what we could do.

Registration would stay the same, or possibly extended 1-2 days depending on how many people sign up.

Each weekend could be devoted to a certain round. So, Round 1 would take place on the first weekend of the month, Round 2 on the second, etc.

Or, the system could stay the same and we can just have one tournament a month. Seems boring to me, but if everyone played their games and I wasn't so lazy, maybe the current system could stay!

I'd like some input so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself here Razz.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do a great job Bones. it was the other supposed admins that i was meaning. nothing against either of them but the between the pair of them they still do less than you.

you need to see about a fresh appointment really. i'd suggest someone like Chaindude but i imagine he has more than enough on his plate with the IDL/ZDDL. looking through the regular US tourney players then maybe somebody like TopHatAlfa or Rage?

EDIT: btw, just what is the deal with the November tourneys?
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Christmas around this month, I didnt even get on here a whole lot, so maybe that is why it has been slow, everybody seeing family because of the holidays perhaps?

Im sure things will speed up slightly next month though Confused
TheMionicDonut
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody ever contacts anybody anymore. Just a little more communication on who your opponent is.
Gamma
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another idea on what could get more people into tourneys.

i know some people (including myself Razz ) don't get informed about the tourneys until it's too late. Some people just don't get informed at all. Maybe when a new tourney comes out, it can be posted on the #zdplayers channel topic (and if possible, into other channel topics as well).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: