ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frag Limits in Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuomio
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRRR
[WH]-Wilou84
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuomio wrote:

AWESOME VICTORY

On topic, 50 frags can be very long on some maps ( like King1 or Judas ). 40 is ok, and for Shoot, 30 is better imho.

EmoX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tuomio
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[WH]-Wilou84 wrote:
Tuomio wrote:

AWESOME VICTORY

On topic, 50 frags can be very long on some maps ( like King1 or Judas ). 40 is ok, and for Shoot, 30 is better imho.

EmoX

rofl
[SIN]Pride
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a USA player, and I actually prefer the 40 frag limit. Why? Less time per game, more people can play games, and really, it should be obvious who is the superior player by around 30 Kills really.
[ETM]Patrick
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i disscused this in IRC now better stop or its going to cause agruement Cool
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purged. Behave children.
[ETM]Patrick
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enVision wrote:
Purged. Behave children.
lol Question
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuomio wrote:

ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA

Ahh, I miss my super nintendo. Killer instinct was the shit.

Sorry, back on topic. I think a map by map number should be in place. Small maps are easy to rack kills in (75-90), and large outdor maps, should be 30-40.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheMionicDonut
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to change the limits per map?
Admiral-Shakal
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuomio wrote:

Goatface
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMionicDonut wrote:

I think you're talking about cvar overrides, different settings for each map in one server. Yes, it's possible. DE M4 server(alternate laz 1-on-1 maps) is an example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WhiteKnight
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goatface wrote:
TheMionicDonut wrote:

I think you're talking about cvar overrides, different settings for each map in one server. Yes, it's possible. DE M4 server(alternate laz 1-on-1 maps) is an example.

How does one do this?
Goatface
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=8845&start=0
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteKnight wrote:
Cybershark, I know you have your 'issues' with all the servers playing the same old maps, but so what? You have your views and that's fine, but you're very very critical at times and you often stress that you're always correct. This isn't true.

no, of course not. it's just my views which i try to keep objective and are more informed than a lot of people as i've been around longer than them. and it's not so much to do with 'same old maps' as i'd bitch just as much if there were suddenly 10 servers for some new map Razz

WhiteKnight wrote:
FFA died when brit10/11 and 2dmmaps servers were put up. There's nothing you can do about that mate unless you get Oblacek and L@P administrators to change those servers.

well that's your opinion, and it's my turn to call you on it. you mean Euro FFA. also i find it interesting that you've just put up a 2dmmaps server when that blight had seemingly been ended, although at least you've limited it to 6 players.

WhiteKnight wrote:
I respect what you have to say because some of it is very interesting, but it's also getting repetitive.

yeah well i have to keep on with that because people either misunderstand or just plain don't listen Smile

WhiteKnight wrote:
Please explain the term 'Identikit Servers" I haven't heard that one before.

well that's simple. most server admins seem to think there's something in the Zdaemon ToS that requires they put up ZDCTF, map01, DW5M1 and Judas servers. i went looking for some Boo the other night and there's only one server outside the US that has it - that's just ridiculous.

and forget emoX and the server fraglimits, like i said, people can play to whatever fraglimit suits them. what about running some UV servers?

Englander wrote:
WhiteKnight pays for the servers, he is the admin, he can do whatever the fuck he likes on them be it 40/50 or even 400 frag limits, he can even have all the walls pink, fluffy flags, BFG's that fire the tears of squirrels and even a million D5M1's going into an endless horizon. It's up to him, he owns them.

and now you want to hear why i think this is a load of bollocks?
let's say that i win the lottery and decide to splash out on a shitload of servers for Zdaemon. and i do mean a fucking truckload.
i decide to run 500 servers for each gamemode but they will all run the same WADs. like maybe 500 DW6 1on1, 500 OMGmaps TDM, 500 ZDUCTF, 500 Greenwar FFA and 500 of some random coop. maybe i'll give them all a wide variety of settings, maybe not. my choice after all, right?

so i've just made the masterlist 5 times bigger which slows the hell out of everyone's refreshes and makes it practically impossible to find anything but my servers. but that's ok! i pay for them so it's all good!

sound ludicrous and like something you'd be outraged to see happen? newsflash: we're already at that point.
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Englander wrote:
WhiteKnight pays for the servers, he is the admin, he can do whatever the fuck he likes on them be it 40/50 or even 400 frag limits, he can even have all the walls pink, fluffy flags, BFG's that fire the tears of squirrels and even a million D5M1's going into an endless horizon. It's up to him, he owns them.

let's say that i win the lottery and decide to splash out on a shitload of servers for Zdaemon. and i do mean a fucking truckload.
i decide to run 500 servers for each gamemode but they will all run the same WADs. like maybe 500 DW6 1on1, 500 OMGmaps TDM, 500 ZDUCTF, 500 Greenwar FFA and 500 of some random coop. maybe i'll give them all a wide variety of settings, maybe not. my choice after all, right?

so i've just made the masterlist 5 times bigger which slows the hell out of everyone's refreshes and makes it practically impossible to find anything but my servers. but that's ok! i pay for them so it's all good!

sound ludicrous and like something you'd be outraged to see happen? newsflash: we're already at that point.

Yes, that indeed would be insane Cybershark. On another note, why did Whiteknight buy (rent) the servers? To let them be online and abandoned? I do not think so. I think he rather sees them populated with people enjoying the game. And the best way to get your servers populated is hosting what people want to play. Conclusion: I think Whiteknight does not mind the input.

Whiteknight wrote:
There's nothing you can do about that mate unless you get Oblacek and L@P administrators to change those servers.

Another nice fact that proves my point. The Zdaemon community (especially the European part) seems to want to play the same over and over again. This is the reason why many server hosts host the same wads in order to get their servers populated. So Whiteknight is right here I think. Imagine for example that L@p and Oblacek change their zdctfmp servers to zductf servers and The Platinum Servers still hosts zdctfmp. Exactly, everyone will go to The Platinum Servers because they can get there what they want.

Now do not get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with having golden oldies in my opinion. I rarely play nowadays because I think it is getting boring because of the low variety of wads being played. So from now on I will back you up when it comes to this Cybershark.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Englander
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:

If you won the lottery and paid that much for ZDaemon I'd expect that sort of arrangement, because you have to be fucking nuts.

Quote:

While this would probably make everyones refresh a fair bit slower, maybe you should put some blame on that steam powered Pentium 2 chugging away on your motherboard.

Quote:

So there you have it, evil servers that give you ear fungus, avoid!
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Englander wrote:
put some blame on that steam powered Pentium 2 chugging away on your motherboard.

The launcher refreshes the master list at a fixed rate of servers per second to avoid accidentally DoSing a machine. It takes about 7 seconds to refresh the master list now. 2500 more servers would push the response time above 35 seconds, making it substantially less useful. For everyone.

I think we probably have to look at various economic models to figure out what would actually be best for ZDaemon. Like it or not, most of the servers currently running rot in hell 99% of their lives. The current model in use, and that native to the internet, is utterly anarchistic and libertarian, and operates only on the axiom that admins should host whatever they please, however they please. There's been no attempt to scientifically measure what (a) inexperienced players like, nor (b) what provides a game for pros that isn't excessively long to the point of being an endurance test, yet still avoids sources of bias like spawn-fragging sprees. Until actual research on the matter, we can but wildly guess based on our own limited experiences.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a certain event at czech lan, i think what euro scene needs is 4way ctf servers :)
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And needs 40 frags limits o:
Englander
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[n00b]Adereth wrote:
The launcher refreshes the master list at a fixed rate of servers per second to avoid accidentally DoSing a machine. It takes about 7 seconds to refresh the master list now. 2500 more servers would push the response time above 35 seconds, making it substantially less useful. For everyone.

OK, I know that Cybersharks processor from the Victorian period ain't going to drastically slow things down, but what I'm trying to say is people are going far over the top with this server thing, besides, 35 seconds is a piss in the ocean compared to waiting for a decent Counter Strike 1.6/Source server list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: