ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to make your own ZDaemon server (for dummies)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metalhead
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: How to make your own ZDaemon server (for dummies) Reply with quote

Another thing I get asked alot is how to make servers, so I'll go ahead and tell you here.

How to make your server appear on the master list:
First things first. If you have a router, you may want to pull out the manual and check out how to forward ports on your router. The main ports to host a server are: 10666 and 10667 UDP

(Tip: The usual way to get into your router is by going to your internet browser and typing http://192.168.0.1 , http://127.0.0.1 or http://192.168.0.100 .There are many more variations to this. The username is admin and the password is usually admin or you just leave it blank)

If you can't find your instruction manual, try googling your router name and model, you may find help there.

Also, if you have a firewall, you may want to open the ports on that as well, or put zserv32 on the allow list.

Configuring your server

ZLauncher method:

At the top, were it says "Server", go and select the "Start Server..." selection from that tab.

Another window will pop up. (Sometimes you will get the ZSL update information, just click yes or no whether or not you want to see the changelog)

Anyway, the window should look like this:

(To enlarge the image, just click on it)

If you just click on any of the boxes, a dialog box will come up telling you what that text box is for.

On the side of the window, there's a section called "Control Panel".

Run Server: Is self explanatory. Once you're finished setting up your server, click this button.

Apply Changes: If you have made recent changes to your server settings, hit this button.

Save Server: If you want to save your current server settings for later use, use this button and it will save to your configuration into your ZDaemon folder

Load Server: Want to lod a previous configuration? Use this button to load a server.

Below those are "Tools"

CFG Editor: If you want to use the more advanced way of configuring your server, use this option. It will show the current configuration after you "Apply Changes"

Banlist Editor: This is for your own server banlist. If there's someone you don't want there, you know their IP, simply add it in this file and save changes.

Con. Calculator: This just allows you to choose the type of connection you have.

Your Servers: This is a handy tool if you're running a few servers...You can join, start, stop, refresh and much more with this tool.

ZLauncher: Although you may already be in ZLauncher, if you go to your ZDaemon folder and double click on "ZServ32", the server dialog box will come up. So this could be for people who are only using the ZServ32 executable.

Note: The guidelines for ZSL (above) are written for ZSL 1.* (which is bundled with ZDaemon 1.08) and will vary if you are using ZSL 2.* (which is currently in beta and will be bundled with ZDaemon 1.09).

Internet Doom Explorer method:

If you're trying to start a server through Internet Doom Explorer here's how to do so. Load up IDE, and go to the "Start Server" tab at the top.
It should look like this:

(Click image to enlarge)

Make sure the server type is set on "ZDaemon".
This is a bit like ZServ32's configuration.
(Make sure your ZD server program is set: Options>Programs>Server programs path:)

IDE is very easy to use, all the dialog boxes should be self explanatory, if not, just take a look at ZServ32. It's the same thing basically, but laid out differently. But if you must know...

Quote:
Hostname: Basically your server name, just type in what you want your server name to be and this will show up on the master server (Optional)

MotD: When you first enter the server, the message you put in this box will appear. (Optional)

Wad URL: If there's a link to the wad(s) you're using in your server, stick it here, so when people come to join your server, getwad will find the wad you linked to.

Game IWad: Choose whichever IWad you wan tto host. Eg: Hexen, Heretic, Doom 2, ect...

Custom IWad: If you have a custom IWad, browse for it here...

Additional PWAD(s): Have a wad that you want to host? This is where wads like Drown in Blood or Alien Vendette go. Or if you have a skins mod or a voice/weapons wad, they ALLWAYS go below the main PWad or else they will not work.

Additition Parameters: This is for extra command lines.

Gametype: Choose the gametype you'd like your server to be.

Skill: Choose the skill level you'd like your server to be

Timelimit: Set a time limit for each map

Fraglimit: Set the fraglimit for each map

Duellimit: Only applies to duels, and set the duel limit for each map.

Maxclients: Sets the number of people who can connect to your server at one point in time.

MaxPlayers: Sets the ammount of players allowed to play on your server at one time.

(Basically if you had 10 Maxclients and 8 Maxplayers, 2 would have to spectate)

Connection type: Set your connection type.

Gravity/Air Control: Set your air control and gravity, the defaults are Gravity: 100% and Air Control: 0

Port: Default is 10666 but if that fails, you can set 10667 (Since you opened it earlier, right?) Or if you're good with these things you can just open a random port and use that.

Visibility: You can set whether you want your server to be private or Lan type. With Lan type only people on your Local Area Network (LAN) can see this server. With Private, people must connect through command line and/or console. You can also set the spam message limits with a private server. Or if they know the ip they can add it to "Custom servers" In the options tab.

Passwords:
Rcon: This is the password to grant admin status IN your server. While in game go to the console(~), type rcon_password <rconpasshere>

Server Password: This is to set a password for people to connect to your server

Server join password: People can connect to your server, but they will need a password to join the game.

Bots:
Number: Enter the number of bots you want in your server.
BotSkill: Select the bots still.

Team Setup: This is for Team games such as CTF, Team Deathmatch ect.
Pointlimit: Set the point limit for a team win.

Team Damage: This is for freindly fire, if 0 is set, there is no team damage.

Max Teams: Set the max teams (Red, blue, green, white) from 2-4.

Saved configurations: Load or Save your current configuration. (Recommended if you want to run the same server again) And click on a configuration to remove it.

Make Batch: Makes an executable .bat file that runs a server with all the parameters currently set in the "Start Server" window.

Maplist Setup: If you only want to play certain maps in a wad, simple set the maps here. It will, of course, skip the maps you did NOT list.

DMFlags: Many options to choose from here. Just set up what you'd like, you can change them again if you want when you start your server. (DMFlags have options such ass Infinite Ammo, Item respawn, ect)

Set Default: This will set everything back to it's default values. In other words, if you want to clear everything, just hit this button.

Starting your Server:

After you have got all the configurations finished, run your server.

Just a few things to know: If you are running a server, and you'd like to run another, make sure you change the port to 10667 or 10668, ect...Reason being, the server you're running right now is already using 10666, so if you try to start another server on the same port, it won't run.

A few helpful commands:
In ZDaemon, there is no need to type in ther persons name if you want to kick them from your server! In the server dialog box, simple type:
Code:
/players

(RCON players)
A list should come up with the list of the players in your server with their IP, name, and what player number they are. Get the number of the player you want to kick and type (example):
Code:
/kick 2 No spam

So its /command number reason
(RCON kick 2 nospam)

If you want to ban a player from your server, do the /players command again, and get their IP. Then type in (Example)

Code:
/addban 255.25.25.25 no spam

(RCON addban 255.25.25.25 no spam)

And to delete the ban it's:
Code:
/killban 255.25.25.25

(RCON killban 255.25.25.25)

And that's all for this tutorial for now.

Last edited by Metalhead on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doom2pro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a lookup tool you can use to see if your server is advertised to the master list and can be queried.

Server Lookup Tool: http://dumped-archives.ath.cx/zdaemon/tools/lookup/

Even if your server is on the master list others will not be able to see it if one or both of the above problems are not resolved simply because the master list is a list of IP Addresses & Ports, ZLauncher must query each server (for example when you refresh the master list) to get things like the Banner name, Game Type, Game IWad & PWads ect... If it cannot get these things then depending on your ZLauncher settings the server is either left blank or doesnt show at all.

If Others CAN see your server but You Cannot
A: You need to add your server to the list manually, go into ZLauncher and in the Settings Menu select Servers and click "Add Favorite...".

Enter in 127.0.0.1 for the IP and the port for the server in question. Note: If the server is hosted on another machine on your LAN replace 127.0.0.1 with the LAN Address of that machine.

Also, the Beta ZSL has a new feature called UPNP which forwards the ports for you (if your router supports UPNP).

Last edited by Doom2pro on Mon May 19, 2008 5:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done thanks for this even tho i know how to run a sever

but for others i think this is good now no1 should get lost!!!

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BlackShark
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhg...man! you should have posted this like 2 years ago, i just now figured out how to host, any way the commands were very helpfull! good guide
Czar
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff, thanks...some more help on remote admin would be appreciated Razz
Doom2pro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar wrote:
good stuff, thanks...some more help on remote admin would be appreciated Razz

If you are talking about the Remote Admin feature in ZSL, theres not much material I have written for the 1.7.x.x version. However for the 2.x.x.x Beta I have made a little interactive tutorial here.

And the "Manual" is here.

Hope that helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr_Bubbles
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i try to join my own sever it says: Could not create the registry key zds
Could not register zds:// Protocol!

what does that mean PLZ help
Doom2pro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Bubbles wrote:
When i try to join my own sever it says: Could not create the registry key zds
Could not register zds:// Protocol!

what does that mean PLZ help

Your windows account doesnt have the proper access rights to modify the registry.

If you can, login with Administration access and try again.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I am having some problems with ZSL. Everytime when I start it up I get this:

Then I click 'ja' or how you call it: 'yes', then this is what happens:

What the deuce? Can someone help me out here? Maybe I should use XP? Razz
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just, y'know, as a sanity check, have you tried logging in as Administrator? (Google suggests the equivalent is "beheerder" or something like that.) The account is created when Windows is installed whether you like it, or know about it, or don't. The password is probably blank by default.

There are some nifty instructions here if you're having trouble getting in:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/530765.htm
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or right click zsl and select "Run As" followed by "Administrator". In most cases the password is the same as the first user account created's at the time.
Doom2pro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can disable that from Options, I belive it's called "Disable File Association Check".
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know a way to decrease the ping of other people if you host a server? Maybe a netwerk with two computers can make more lag, or the just the country your in. Are there ways to decrease the ping?

Really a newbie question maybe, but I see the other servers up and they work 10 better than mine. Razz
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacepirate wrote:
Does anybody know a way to decrease the ping of other people if you host a server? Maybe a netwerk with two computers can make more lag, or the just the country your in. Are there ways to decrease the ping?

Really a newbie question maybe, but I see the other servers up and they work 10 better than mine. Razz

Well, a good connection is most important I think. You need a connection that has a decent upload. A second computer on the network using internet also consumes bandwith, so your server will perform better when it's turned off. Furthermore you can close all other applications running that make use of your internet connection, like MSN and Limewire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the best thing to do is to buy a connection on a very old computer and place it in the basement? Razz

Thanks for the advice.
DoomerMrT
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutorial added to Zdaemon Wiki with some changes including update to ZSL 2.x.
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacepirate wrote:
So the best thing to do is to buy a connection on a very old computer and place it in the basement? Razz

Thanks for the advice.

No, the best thing you can do is lease commercial server space.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
L1T
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: cool Reply with quote

My first post ever!
Thanks for this btw. I'm going to host a server on my Debian squeeze server.
(yes yes I know this is a windows tutorial I just felt like saying a cool story bro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: