ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Onslaught DM 3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobomaster22
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Onslaught DM 3 Reply with quote

21 map set designed for head to head play. Classic style maps a la Execution, Britt, Gothic DM, but sort of have their own feel to them. Specific author info is in the txt. Countless play testing has gone into this, but it is possible there are still bugs so please let me know if you come accross any. OS flags are suggested but any flags you want would be fine. Servers will be up soon, I'll let you know. Have fun.

*Edit: taking notes of a few small bugs, but nothing major so far. Going to release the final polished version once its been played through quite a bit. So far with servers:

Doomed Earth Dallas [D2] - FFA
L@P #42 - FFA
Duke.edu NC - 1on1

Special thanks to chaindude, the godfather, and jkist for these servers Very Happy

*Now updated to version 1.1
Download: http://hobomaster.doomwadstation.com/onsl3_.zip

Last edited by hobomaster22 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesomeness as it has been for many a year now. I approve.

One point of concern, though.
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even have to download it to know it's good. I'll play it when it's out
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played it with a ton of peeps on the Doomed Earth [D2] (exp points activated) server.

Onslaught 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *.*

Awesome work Hobo Twisted Evil
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[n00b]Adereth wrote:
One point of concern, though.

you were trying to win using fists? i don't think many WADs are geared for this Razz

and aye, it's good stuff indeed Very Happy
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's pointing out the tutti fruity.
hobomaster22
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what a tutti fruity is. Smile Its just my default port is not zdaemon and since zdaemon is a little dated to say the least, I didn't know it still had the this old bug. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, judging from the textures themselves, it looks like both of those are misaligned versus their neighbors. Not strictly a matter of bugs or not; the bug just makes it easier to see.
hobomaster22
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Adereth - The tutti fruity effect makes it appear as though it is mal-aligned. Its because I gave it a negative Y offset creating the texture to kind of cycle through itself on the line, causing the problem. If you opened it up in another port you would see it looked fine. Thanks for your concern though.
Dark Linux
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I just have to say that I am not crazy about OS maps. Im sure you all knew this.

But I have to say that this is one OS mapset that HAS to be played.

Now if a NS junkie like me says that an OS mapset is good then it must be damn good indeed!

hobomaster22 All that really needs to be fixed is that pesky texture. But to be honest its not all that noticable. So keep it up man awsome work!
tourettes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the Onslaught series, really good maps to play with friends, and these I am sure will be great to bring to the LAN table, atleast on my part. And playing through the first 3 maps, it really brings a authentic oldschool feel, something I wouldn't expect with the amount of detail. Also the movement really flows well. Great work!
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the sexyness of this wad, I will do the same as I did with CrazyCTF Razz.

map01 - Overall a nice map, it had some nice details to it, a fast paced midi, and a good idea for the BFG.

map02 - A good idea for the BFG and plasma, lots of goodies and secrets to be found over time, and nice details.

map03 - Some very nice lighting effects, and has a good layout and a nice little area to use the BFG effectively.

map04 - A very good layout and a good midi, may seem a bit spammy but has nice texturing. Very sexy.

map05 - Gotta love the classic Onslaught sky. It has a midi that reminds me of Ultimate Doom. It has a nice layout and I can see this one being a favorite.

map06 - This map has very nicely blending textures, it can be played as a 1 on 1, or a large FFA. A midi that goes well with it.

map07 - A good flow and feel, again nicely done with the texturing.

map08 - This is a nice map. It seems to have a different theme than the others, and can potentially be very great.

map09 - Probably my favorite map of the pack so far, simply because of the gothic theme and obvious Hours upon Hours of work.

map10 - This one is a bit too dark in some places, and why doesn't the slime hurt you? I'd think that if you stepped in radioactive goop that something strange would happen...

map11 - I don't really like this one.. it just seems ugly imo. Not that it won't be played, I'm sure that others have different tastes.

map12 - Were you running out of ideas? Seems that the past couple of maps were repetetive.. idk.. This one I don't really like either. Although, I do like the exit area.

map13 - This one is much better. I like the texturing and the details you put into the map.

map14 - -Sigh- Again, why doesn't the slime hurt you? I like how you use fake bridges in this level. Really enhances it. The level is very nice looking, and is sure to be a favorite.

map15 - More undamaged slime! This map (again) has obvious HOURS of work put into it, and it shows in the end product. The textures go very well together.

map16 - Remind me of Ultimate Doom (again). The textures are nicely put together

map17 - The map has a nice feel.. although I'm not a big fan of two roomed places.

map18 - To be honest, this map will get very irritating. For one, the exit is WAY too easy to get conned into running into. For another thing, it needs to be more open in some of the back hallways.

map19 - This BFG placement reminded me greatly of a map from brit11.. not sure which map. This map has a good layout, and a good feel to it.

map20 - Has some good details.. but unfortunately the layout isn't that great. You have to go through too much to get to the bfg, and people will camp in the hallway to get to it.

map21 - A good finishing map. This is a good transition from the changing theme back to the starting one. I like it!

Overall a great map pack I give it a 9.5/10.
kandy_kid
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post doomination its nice to see your helping ppl with their maps now instead of stealing them.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw c'mon, that was sooo damn long ago now. and it only happened once!

can we move on? or it'll be the posts that start getting stolen... Twisted Evil
tourettes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw c'mon, that was sooo damn long ago now. and it only happened once!

can we move on? or it'll be the posts that start getting stolen... Twisted Evil
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stop using the internet, tourettes.
hobomaster22
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please dont use the topic for my wad to post random and pointless stupidity. If you don't have anything useful to say at least somewhat relating to the wad, please refrain and in doing so, maybe you wont make yourself look like a total idiot.

Also for doomination, thanks for putting in the effort of the review. I accept most criticisms and I am making a few changes. In map12's defense its from a different wad made by ak-01. It was edited a bit and retextured. As for the nukage its a vanity thing. I only made it do damage when it was part of a gameplay thing. Figured it would be annoying to make all nukage do damage.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright then...

Taking a look at the wad, I see that we have quite a solid mapset here. So solid in fact, I must admit that it tops my list in terms of layout and quality, similar to Crucified Dreams, or to a lesser extent, Exec (which this really reminds me of). This wad uses the perfect amount of detail, and when I say this, I am not meaning quantity, but just the right amount that makes the levels appealing to look at. Things are consistent, well-thought out, look nice (but not overwhelming), and flow great. There is also a great variety in map styles, although they still remain consistent in structure and layout.

It has also come to my attention that some levels are remakes or are based on other popular levels. Map03 comes to mind, although I'm not sure of the original wad's name or who created it. I am disappointed that the game mechanics of this map were altered (look how easy it is to get the BFG and plasma rifle now).

Although the flow of the levels are great, I'm not sure whether I like how easy it is on some maps to get the power weapons. In map05 for example, the plasma rifle is on a main route, and stuffed with a few cells. I actually found it more strenuous to grab the chainguns on that map.
The maps are also really spacious. This is a good thing, because unlike Exec or Brit11, this wad can easily accommodate 16 players. Also, player starts seem to be out of the fray, which reduces the chances of those annoying blind-shot spawnfrags.

Okay, just finished looking at the rest of the maps, and I couldn't be more pleased with what I'm seeing. Other than various niggles and personal preferences, I'm completely satisfied with this map. You've managed to put together one legendary wad.

Congratulations, you've just updated the Doom history books. If I were to review this wad for ZDReview, it would take a perfect 10.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you maybe just did? Smile

and the big plus over Crucified Dreams is what you said about consistency of structures and layout. Crudreams was just all over the shop in terms of comfortable player numbers and style.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay, well then wait until I get home tonight and I'll post it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: