ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music. Thoughts?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stereoface
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Music. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Lately, I've been looking to older music for inspiration in writing music. I don't know why, but as technology in audio production increases, and it becomes a fast process of recording, mixing, and mastering, it also seems that any nobody could sell a million records without even writing a song. I think it's a combonation of a few factors. The new technology allows the creative process to be automated, and low quality songs are created on the fly, using over-repeated techniques, the new-age listening audience has grown stupid, and modern culture has led songwriting to be a port of youth angst instead of a piece of art.

Being a musician and a user of pro-level audio software for many years now, I've gotten to know how simple the process is. You put three or four chord progressions together, write down what you think is wrong with the world, and sing in a melodic fashion, you take that recording, and slap a few effects and tweaks here and there, and you get a mid-level recoring. It's too easy now, people have become automated and consumers can get a demo quality recording in no time. But think of when they used to do it in the times before digital systems were available... They had to literally get right in, turning knobs and stretching tapes. It costed thousands of dollars for a few days in a studio. The empasis for good song writing was there then. Nowadays, record companies work on the small and fast profit method. They don't give to much care about the quality of the song wirting, and blow money on studios without care. The 'artist' or 'talent' doesn't really have any, they simply represent nothing more then a telemarketer would... They bother you for money.

Also noting that things have changed, and the style and presentation of the music culture has evolved, or de-volved depending on how you look at it. I fing more and more that there are people that have never stepped above the 'top 40' music. These people who are motioning that Billy Talent's or Three Days Grace's new albums are amazing rock albums have never experienced 'real' song writing. Yes it may sound good, but these albums no longer have meaning besides a dollar sign. 21st century music is merchandise, not art.

Music, in my opinion, can connect to someone much better than any other art form. The problem is that now adays people are becoming more mature at a young ages. Teens are politically aware, and sometimes active. (A side note on this: It always felt redundant when a teen was politically active when they aren't old enough to vote.) But kids are understanding the world earlier, some are ready and can get a head start, but others simply succumb to the MTV trends. Kids are bulk-fed what they are supposed to like, and never get to step out of the realm of pop-culture. This also leads to song writing about hating that very process, you all know it: the disestablismentarianisms. I didn't use it because it's one of the longest words in the english language, it decribes the lyrical content of youth music. New music is like Marylin Manson without balls. These cunts are just writing about how society is flawed, because they haven't been able to adapt fast enough. "Emo" is the common term for type of simplicity, but the same egotistical agsty song writing exends far past the neo-goth music. This shit is everywhere, and it fakes the connection that art makes by talking about common problems that everyone faces, but it is not art.

I consistantly feel unsatisfied with today's music because of the weak musical message, the sheer lack of depth, and the ammount of ego that fogs out the entire music scene. The only bands that I can listen to are pre-2000. Because even though top 40 was taking over, you could still have access to great music. I just end this with the hope that we can turn ourselfs to appreciate old music for what is supposed to be: art. And I can recommend some bands that are around today that have retained the musical standard to this day. And guess what, the fact that you've never heard of them, or they've never been on top 40, is a good thing.

Thoughts?
Asmodean
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. This is why I listen to metal, because even though some of it is mainstream crap produced by record labels concerned with money (roadrunner), there are yet, tons of amazing/creative stuff out there in the metal world. I thought music was doomed, but still I'm discovering bands that rock my shit.
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if your into lyrics or the tune more. Some would disagreew ith what you have to say because a lot of people have favorite songs in which they have no clue what the lyrics are. As far as trends are concerned, each new year will have it's successor to make way for new and different styles. Maybe we are witnessing the rise of a new era in music?

Still, I sure as hell miss that 90's music Crying or Very sad
nightowl
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still good bands out there. You're probably just not going to hear a lot of them on Top 40 radio. I guarantee you bands like Of Montreal, Broken Social Scene, Explosions in the Sky, The American Analog Set, and the Arcade Fire pour a lot more into their music than just a few hours with some mixing software. Some of them even pay homage to the old schoolers with their recording techniques.
BadKist2
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. Its always nice when there are people beyond the small sect that I know in the world that can understand this simple concept. Most people my age group anyway (I don't know how old you are, I am 24) don't really have much for musical taste. And it seems to be getting worse and not better. I find I generally have tastes in common with older generations/musicians as well. Sometimes really old; I play nintendo video game covers and Bach covers with this guy I know, we do both on and off on stage. Which is probably confusing to most people but fun to play Smile Course in this sense I'm not writing ~anything but I can admit that anyway, it comes seperately...
david-gross
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree...but the thing is...all forms of entertainment now days that are popular are about the money...someone today sent me alink to this movie some people made that they did for fun...and it kept me more entertained then any movie ive seen in ages...the effects were horrible...the acting wasnt good...but it was a good movie...this gos tripple for the music now on the radio...i occasonaly listen to the radio when im in someone else's car...and have to put up with my trendy brothers music...but i cant see how any of that stuff can make people be so entertained by it...well then again, the major popular music industry's are so into making money...they wont even let good bands become popular...because that woule make alot of there other shit sound like, just that, shit...with the occasional decent band on the radio...its just garbled radio waves...

but for me...i listen to metal...the stuff that wont be played on the radio...and quite abit of it done even have record labels...cause they do it for fun and not for the money...

some of my best friends have a band...and they make around $9 each at a show...and most of the time gas costs more then what there making...not to mention all the money they spend on instruments...

also whats true...socity in general has become way to greedy...and im basicly ashamed to live in a world thats so greedy...
Skitz0.X
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stereoface,

It's a great thing that you're taking a hard look at the "whole" with the music world and culture in general nowadays, but I am honestly shocked that you would bring those thoughts to a board in a community such as this.
Honestly, why would you spend your time writing about something such as that in a community like this, instead of a forum specifically populated with professionals from the industry as well as amateurs and enthusiasts.
Not directed towards everyone(but the majority), the people on here aren't really going to give you much feedback that could be of any practical use or otherwise novel.
The people in this community are the same as what you would call "MTV Trends" and whatnot, but just in a different light. They follow the norm in a ZD community ran by narrow minded individuals, and call it "the rules", and then are brain-washed to believe that the game they originally just played to enjoy, is now souly about ego and creating a reputation. If that's not a direct comparison to "MTV trend" followers, then I don't know what is.
If you honestly want some intelligent feedback from professionals in the industry as well as talented amateurs, give me a PM and I'll direct you to a great source. Music is also my passion and what I went to school for, and I have many sources and forums that may be of interest to you.

Otherwise, I'd leave little hope that you'll find many responses here useful.

gg,
Skitz0.X
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skitz0.X wrote:
...I am honestly shocked that you would bring those thoughts to a board in a community such as this...
...otherwise, I'd leave little hope that you'll find many responses here useful.

Damn it. And I was just about to post the answer to the age old question of "Life, the Universe, and Everything" here.
But heck, you're right Skitz... this IS a DooMer community.
Thanks for the reminder! I almost made a complete fool out of myself.
Everyone knows that the theory of relativity is at more of a DooMer's speed.
I guess I'll just have to post my answer on the Einstein forums then.
e=mc2 anyone?
Carry yawn.
(all together now!)

* e=mc2: energy equals mass times the speed of light squared. - The answer to "Life, the Universe, and Everything" is 42 of course.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stereoface
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I basically copied my topic from another forum with some fellow recording engineers, and I figured that I'd like to see the response here. And I was shocked that people gave great responses.

But I really do feel this way about the music scene, and not in an elitist way either... I realize that there was shitty music being made pre-90's. However, the saturation was far less becasue you needed more effort to be in the industry.

I was just looking for a response from music listeners as well as creators.
nightowl
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
give me a PM and I'll direct you to a great source.

Simon Cowell?
darkon
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone that listens to metal must check out ensiferum NOW! seriously, you will not be disappointed.
DEATHMETAL
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkon wrote:
everyone that listens to metal must check out ensiferum NOW! seriously, you will not be disappointed.

Heh , that's a bold statement, one that I find false.
darkon
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, if you like death metal, you better like behemoth and nile.
julz_d
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I write music (I play guitar and and drums) I pretty much need a set of lyrics before I can think of propper guitar to play to it. Why? Well, because a lot of the guitar I write, I want it to be in harmony with the vocals. Not all the music I write is like this, but a large part of it is. And if it is not, well then I'm not satisfied with it. Another thing that I'm happy is going on nowadays is proof that you don't need a huge solo in ever song to make it a hit. heh 1980s hair bands-

I guess I'm overley inspired by System Of A Down.

Oh yeah, and I don't like emo at all.
Asmodean
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkon wrote:
Dude, if you like death metal, you better like behemoth and nile.

And Necrophagist \m/
darkon
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And kataklysm.
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO DEATH METAL FANATICS!

This thread is not about death metal. GTFO.
darkon
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don't forget kalmah, norther, and wintersun.
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

switcher wrote:
Skitz0.X wrote:
...I am honestly shocked that you would bring those thoughts to a board in a community such as this...
...otherwise, I'd leave little hope that you'll find many responses here useful.

Damn it. And I was just about to post the answer to the age old question of "Life, the Universe, and Everything" here.
But heck, you're right Skitz... this IS a DooMer community.
Thanks for the reminder! I almost made a complete fool out of myself.
Everyone knows that the theory of relativity is at more of a DooMer's speed.
I guess I'll just have to post my answer on the Einstein forums then.
e=mc2 anyone?
Carry yawn.
(all together now!)

* e=mc2: energy equals mass times the speed of light squared. - The answer to "Life, the Universe, and Everything" is 42 of course.

i love you switcher Laughing
TimeOfDeath
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound like a broken record, but I agree with a lot of what Stereoface said. My advice would be to simply ignore the things that make you feel unsatisfied with today's music and focus your energy on creating and listening. Smile

If anything, I think music will get better and better, it's just a matter of finding it. While I think some/most "pop music" will always be influenced by things like money and fame more so than the artistic aspect of creating music, there will always be people who have that passion for writing music and creating art more than anything. I really think it's an art form that will never die.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: