ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question reguarding opinions on original doom gameplay.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralphis
That blue hedgehog again of all places!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Question reguarding opinions on original doom gameplay. Reply with quote

Why is it that everyone is so concerned with changing doom's gameplay when it comes to newer projects and wads? Here's my view.

Changing doom's gameplay is great and it keeps the community alive. Just like Halflife. People still play Halflife DM, while others also play mods that improve and surpass the original game's dm. While Halflife is nothing in comparison to doom, the same idea is still there. I'm all for new gameplay modes. How about you guys?
Rellik_jmd
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope people support new games. All my levels support starting maps with all weapons and thats just hte boom levels. I'm working on a legacy mod that'll make it more like rocket arena and so far it's going great. The rocket jumping kicks all kinds of ass. I'm also working on a co-op game where players pick a class when spawning. You can be infantry, heavy gunner, sniper, etc. Then you go up against fortified positions with uber deadly hell spawn and try to successfully invade. The players speed is roughly cut in half. It's not much like DOOM at all but it is very cool. Now I'm getting this FreeDoom deathmatch iwad done and I'm wondering if people will even use the damn thing. Smile All I can do is the best I can and if people like it, then good, but if not, well it was still fun to make.

So far with the first ten levels the FreeDM IWAD is about 7.7meg (2.8mb zipped). I think people will appreciate the smaller download. Smile
scirmast
Da Po-po

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against new things, as long as they are good. I will propably play CTF, and other game modes if they are introduced, but changing the original DooM feel (altering, for example, players movement while everything else stay the same), is not a good idea, unless it is thought very troughoutly.
999cop
Daemon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A subject like this one ticks me a lot of times, especially it comes to Doom. I might have been considered as one of those "whiners" who complains about modern game features, namely jump and mouselook, being used in Doom. I admit I have been embracing my own prejudiceness the past 3 years ever since I started playing Doom when I am not even a frequent gamer. (Nope, I have never owned a console myself, and I have not played many video games, either.) Probably due to this point, my opinion does not value as much as others who have a lot more experiences about gaming than I have.

Whether this matters or not, I'd like to point out something about my point of view, since I always have a feeling that people in this community get a fixed impression about me of oppressing new ideas on gameplay. My view on new gameplay is pretty positive, I must say. As long as it is fun and does not turn Doom into just EXACTLY like another individual game, I would not mind at all. Spreading around new ideas derived from Quake would not be a problem to me because I believe CTF is a fun gameplay introduced to the FPS genre since Quake, which is why I have been so supportive and helped Duke to make sprites and all for the new CTF mod for Doom.

Since last summer, my point of view on life has changed a lot due to something happened, my opinions on games have changed as well. Nowadays, I stop complaining about how much Counter Strike sucks. I'm sick of holding a grudge to myself until I realize that it is not fair to compare it with Doom since they aren't even the same type of games. Besides that, I've learned that the affection for something matters only in one's heart, but not measured by the level of popularity. Therefore, from now on, I'd rather choose taking the path of reserving my own prejudiceness and inaccurate judgments before I have it figured out.
scirmast
Da Po-po

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have that kind of expression of you. But games CAN be compared. What game you like better. Nothing more. It is indeed fair to compare two things together. "This game has a lot of great ideas and the engine is much better. Still it's no fun, because games like that are just not my thing." That explains a lot. Two things CAN be compared.

In the case of Counter Strike, it think it's good it exists. Now all the childs and fashion gamers play it instead, and don't come here.
999cop
Daemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is OKAY to compare under certain circumstances when you know about everything of what you're saying. My point is nowadays I would rather reserve my final judgments until I have experienced before I make a point. For instance, you can't compare Doom with Counter Strike because both games are taken in a different direction. Counter Strike features teamplay modes basically, while Doom simply offers pure, oldschool deathmatchs. But on the other hand, I'm pretty hooked to the competition between Doom III and Half-Life 2 lately, and I have been doing my homework by reading a quite amount of gaming magazines. Wink
Shockwav3
The human germ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents: keep changes optional, so both parties are happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: