ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux & Zdaemon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of you. But I still realize more and more that closing the source will not solve the problems. I still think that if the source was open there would be a lot more people helping develop the game than cheat with it. Of course cheats can't be stopped. They never will. So there is no point trying to prevent them by screening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:
I agree with both of you. But I still realize more and more that closing the source will not solve the problems. I still think that if the source was open there would be a lot more people helping develop the game than cheat with it. Of course cheats can't be stopped. They never will. So there is no point trying to prevent them by screening.

While I agree with you for the most part I don't agree with the final statement. There is plenty of reason to try to stop cheating with screening or any other considerable method. Cheating ruins the game for a lot of people. When it gets out of hand people stop playing. Look at Quakeworld for a good example. Any good servers require registration before you can play because cheating has simply gotten out of hand. But, Quakeworld is not actively maintained anymore. A project that is actively maintained has the benefit of being able to fight back. I believe that it can be done while keeping the source open. I think the major problem is that if the source were opened there would be an initial period of cheating while people worked with the code and developed solutions to combat the cheating. Also, the cheaters are always going to find a way (especially with increased popularity of the platform.) The developers can't always stay a step ahead of the cheaters. A lot of times it is a game of tag. A cheater finds a hole and takes advantage of it. The developers then plug the hole and wait for the next one. This can be exhausting for developers who are often times outnumbered by the cheaters.

That is where the benefit of open-source comes in. You tend to have more developers with an open-source project (though this has not been the case with ZDaemon.) In the last year or two I have seen some interest from open-source users in working on the sourcecode, particularly in this thread. It is hard to say how many of those would actually commit once the time came. I would love to work on it and would jump at the chance. My only requirement would be that I would work in a Linux environment and any fixes or additions that I make would be on a cross-platform client.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst Wine exists it is always possible to develop Windows applications on Linux and test them. In fact, ideas keep popping into my head whilst I'm asleep (this is probably due to the fact I don't go to bed without music on, which plays continuously through the night Razz) The infamous dll injection can have more of a use than just cheating, right? fmod is a cross platform library supported on systems from Linux to the PSP. If there was a dll developed that ejected the sound code (I'm not a coder, please forgive me if I don't use the right "terminology") that ejected the sound code, I say, and let the native linux library handle the sound code rather than the emulated windows one. Poof, and the Linux sound problems would be gone.

First this would obviously require a patched version of Wine, which I think is a pity that Wine still fails to handle linux binaries as "linux binaries", such as using IDE or ZSlite under Wine to launch the linux server binary proves impossible, it could lead to a small embedded, patched wine in the linux UO ZDaemon Pack, that can manipulate code coming out of ZDaemon at different addresses to let it be handled by native libraries under *IX systems. I do not code, so I do not know if this is possible or not, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be.

I may try to revise my efforts on this passage if it is too difficult to understand.
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are saying is that you think there should be a dll "bridge" that uses a Linux sound library to provide sound to the Windows binary that is running through Wine. Of course... that is what wine does... for everything. Wine is a compatibility Layer creating a bridge between dlls and linux dynamic libraries. If you have wine set to use ALSA then that is what all sound in wine is going to use. It does the same thing with DirectX. It converts the directx API calls into OpenGL API calls and uses the linux opengl libraries.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe trialed the latest version of VMware Workstation and it is awesome. What's even better is that my Great Uncle has given me a lend of his serial code so now I have full awesomeness on my Laptop! This version way outsmarts the Open-source version, by enabling hardware acceleration and advanced thingys. In fact, it isn't too foreign from Windows Virtual PC which I used before I had Linux only and the compatibility VMware has with that is excellent. I not see this as the best solution until a native port arrives. Thanks everyone for your advice and hopefully I'll be back to playing online in no time Twisted Evil
danhen
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Hi all Reply with quote

after longer time i wanna return on zd scene... currently i use older comp with linux, ubuntu distr.
i am LAMER for linux and don't like it, but i have to use it, cause nothing else here.
of course, using wine for trying to run zdaemon.
i tried run IDE, but i got a acces violation error (windows native error) and no possible to do anything with it.
tried to run zlauncher, but i got this mess: (wine message)
This aaplication is requesting for an Activex browser object, but the Mozilla Activex control is currently not installed. Do you wish to download and install it?. i cliked yes, got next window about this:
caption of window:Downloading the Mozilla Activex control
in window was progressbar,and in down of window was:source.winehq.org
and nothing happened!

can you guys help me with this, plz? how to play zdaemon? how can i dwnld this fucked mozilla active x control?

thnx for you help, hopefully cu on zd Smile
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheating isn't a problem.
Anyone can cheat no mater in this version (windows) or future OS version.

So, cheating isn't a issue. It's an issue for dumb folks who think that making Zd open-source would make a BIG difference in the community.

So u programers ! Smile Any progress on zd 4 nix or open-source ZD :rofl:
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just follow the instructions for cedega/wine and u should be fine Danhen.

Dunno really, i can start wine Ide.exe normaly, but ''window'' mode teh sux.
So i transferd to cedega, since it's the best 4 gaming in general.

So get/buy cedega, it's really cheap for what it offers. Or u can chose not to pay and torrent it Smile
danhen
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutEcHre wrote:
Just follow the instructions for cedega/wine and u should be fine Danhen.

which instructions (in wine) do you mean?
currently dwnlding cenega, maybe zdaemon should run with it ...
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This aaplication is requesting for an Activex browser object, but the Mozilla Activex control is currently not installed. Do you wish to download and install it?. i cliked yes, got next window about this:
caption of window:Downloading the Mozilla Activex control
in window was progressbar,and in down of window was:source.winehq.org
and nothing happened!
The launcher that just got released will refrain from using the IE ActiveX when it realizes it runs under Wine. So you won't face that problem. However... there appears to be yet another problem with the list view control under wine; I noticed that around 2-3 months ago (this applied to the most recent wine at the time). Give it another try if you have a more recent version of wine; maybe they fixed it.

BTW, zrc.exe (the standalone version of zrc also included with the launcher) should work just fine under any recent version of wine (say, anything since the summer). A couple of things might not be perfect (eg., hyperlinks won't work), but other than that, it works just fine. It took quite a while to work around the various bugs in the common controls of wine.
danhen
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably i am lamer. but where i have to find zrc.exe? no such file in my directory. only zrc.dll presents Sad
edit: found it

I did some upgrade from web site, that european upgrade. i reached further, bt still no good:
launcher ran, but no servers appeared, and after 10 seconds laucnher was closed , by itself Sad
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. so the launcher status under wine is still the same. However... you can run zrc.exe directly and connect to either zdirc or any irc server. Try that and you see.
danhen
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but stil, as I see, zrc is only icr client. no possibility to launch doom via it, right?
and, what about to run zlauncher with cedega? any idea about it?
and, at last, what about compile binary/executable file for linux? Very Happy
thnx more ...
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run IDE via cedega and u shoudn't have any problems.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutEcHre wrote:
Run IDE via cedega and u shoudn't have any problems.

On that note, I've been beta testing bond's new IDE release, and the latest one supports the new zrc.dll enclosed with the new ZLauncher. I'll get back to him for a final release and let you know when that is so. There is also one slight bug with 3.80 running under Wine that is now fixed, and hopefully we may have a native linux port of IDE soon, if bond can manage it.
danhen
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way to run it through cedega, wine, no way also ide and doom connector Sad
this includes also new bond's ide - 3.90 ... shit Sad
but here
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5998
is written, that it works on cedega... maybe i have to set it up, but i don't know where, how, etc ....
could you help me with it. plz?

but, pity, probably i cannot play zdaemon on linux Shocked Evil or Very Mad Sad
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to know, I wrote that entry into the AppDB, and am currently the super maintainer for it. I would appreciate it if others posted their attempts at getting ZDaemon running under Linux, as I have been 100% successful from my first attempt.
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:
If you want to know, I wrote that entry into the AppDB, and am currently the super maintainer for it. I would appreciate it if others posted their attempts at getting ZDaemon running under Linux, as I have been 100% successful from my first attempt.

There's generally not much to say. It's just that the performance really gets in the way. Running at a 486-like speed proves to be a problem.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I don't get. On my Windows box, running openSUSE 10.2 under VMware with VMware tools installed, and running ZDaemon under Wine in THAT, my, it runs full speed at 1280x1024 Surprised
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New wine seems to does the stuff.
It runs zlauncher.exe almost perfect.

Altough, im runin it on 640x480 Smile cause i like it.

By almost, i mean that there is a fullscreen problem (window borders, WM etc.), which can be avoided by going fullscreen off/on when u get connected in game (options, video etc.).

I'm working on it, if i get a solution ill post it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: