ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux & Zdaemon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing under Wine causes issues if you are running a dual-display setup. I am going to look into Xinerama support in Wine. This is something that is built into Cedega so I never had to mess with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well time for little update.

Zdaemon/IDE works ok under ubuntu. Probably other distros also.

Problem is that sound is choppy and delays, either with ALSA or OSS (or any other).
Unplayable for 1v1 matches on map1.

Guess cedega/IDE is the best option.
Achtung
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the launcher working fine on Fedora 7 under WINE. Just don't maximize the window or try to configure wad directories, or it closes. :p

ZDaemon does NOT work. Never gets past the initial console view. Although you can still get sound and you can hear it make selections on the menu. You just get a constant view of the initial console.
Real_Russia
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: - Reply with quote

In Mac OS X which i am using now i am running ZDaemon with CrossOver emulator. It work very slow (3-5fps) and work without sound. So i can play now only coop games. Sad
SKatox[pcg]
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: [How to] Playing Zdaemon on linux Reply with quote

Hey guys i've made a tutorial for playing Zdaemon on linux, all you need it's Wine (a windows emulator).

Here you can watch the video of how to install zdaemon (official client) under linux, it's done with english and spanish subtitles, so watch it, comments are welcome:

VIDEO: http://skatox.com/blog/videos/Zdaemon_wine_tutorial.mpg

Original Source: http://skatox.com/blog/?p=190

/*****This is a script that i made for automatic instalation*********/
Let's say unofficial Zdaemon Linux installer:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ -n "`wine --version 2>/dev/null`" ] #Check if wine is installed
then
{
wget -c http://lupus.keystone.gr/zdaemon10803-setup.exe #Download the installer
wine zdaemon10803-setup.exe #The installer appear
echo "Done. Double click the icon on your Desktop for playing it"
}
else
echo Wine is not installed, please install it.
fi

//**** Instalador no-oficial en EspaƱol****// (Spanish)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ -n "`wine --version 2>/dev/null`" ] #Chequea si Wine esta instalado
then
{
wget -c http://lupus.keystone.gr/zdaemon10803-setup.exe #Descarga el instalador
wine zdaemon10803-setup.exe #El instalador aparece en pantalla
echo "Listo. Double click al icono del Escritorio para jugar"
}
else
echo Wine no instalado, por favor instalalo.
fi

Last edited by SKatox[pcg] on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job. It would be nice to eliminate the need for this but we do what we must.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say that with cedega and IDE, i'm able to play now with compiz fusion on. (3d desktop manager)

So i have this wonderfull desktop http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktopza9.png
And playing is fully functional Cool

My sound issue with wine still persists, unplayable in map1 1v1 matches where crystal sound is a necessity.
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah did the script thing on my Ubuntu partition and its not nearly as smooth and somewhat buggy on the sound, but I haven't really dug into trying to tweak everything. Sucks, because only a select few games keep me from switching to Ubuntu. "ZD FOR LINUX" campaign should commence nnnnnnnnnnnnnnow.
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wine works so flawlessly for steam I wonder why it doesn't the same for zdaemon

would u need like a legacy wine to run zdaemon properly on ubuntu with actually having something written for it?
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cha0tix wrote:
"ZD FOR LINUX" campaign should commence nnnnnnnnnnnnnnow.

There is no need for a campaign. There are plans for it to occur eventually (though not for 1.09.)
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Beast_ wrote:
wine works so flawlessly for steam I wonder why it doesn't the same for zdaemon

would u need like a legacy wine to run zdaemon properly on ubuntu with actually having something written for it?

My understanding with wine is that they are focusing on your basic applications, not games or something as CPU intensive as ZD.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update, as I have not done so for some time (I am the Super Maintainer for ZDaemon on the Wine AppDB) I have succeeded in getting ZDaemon under Wine to not only run with better performance than a fresh XP install with latest drivers on the same system (so happens to be, an old laptop), but have found a complete workaround to the sound problem which incidentally, has blown me away. There is not only no longer any problems with sound - sound works perfectly, but also, amazingly, resamples to whatever rate is set in your config, producing extremely pleasing high quality sound to your speakers / headphones, similar to the difference heard when setting the rate above 22050 in csDoom or other online doom ports. There is no need for a Wine prefix - simply a small change in zdoom.ini is all that suffices, as long as you are still using OSS sound.

I do not have time right now to post my findings in an easy to replicate format (which were done with Ubuntu Gutsy, no doubt) however I'll be generous and even do that ZDaemon on Linux project I talked about (simply, a bunch of scripts and settings that makes ZDaemon act more like a Linux app, with data/settings being stored in the home directory, etc.) More on this soon Smile
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made the switch from Cedega to WINE and its running alot better (nearly flawless). Only thing is that its not detecting my extra mouse buttons and the obvious sound issue. If you could get the fix for ALSA StealthCP that would be too sweet.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your extra mouse buttons are listed in xorg.conf, and they should work. If you have a 5 button mouse then
Code:
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

Should so it. You may have to change the ZAxisMapping if you have a certain mouse - the above works for the IntelliMouse Explorer (Ok, Microsoft do make good mice Wink)
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have the Intellimouse thing in my xorg already. Maybe I need to redo the process as I just got WINE yesterday.

EDIT: Nah still doesn't work. It just feels wierd not doing sr50 anymore. :\ But oddly the mouse buttons work in Cedega.

EDIT2: Got the mouse fixed. Removed and purged imwheel which has some conflicts. Wink
niv
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as importantly, how about support for "other" versions of UNIX on x86 and even other architectures. Not all of us are stuck in the Wintel or Lintel world.. some people run SPARC/Solaris, AIX/rs6000, SPARC/SunOS (which was a monster for Doom back in the day, so much so that the id guys released a special version called sundoom), Mac OS X/(intel/ppc), and a ton of others including *BSD/*arch - and yes that includes BSD/OS from BSDi. Even old arch's can run Doom = even old arch's can run Zdaemon! How fun!

Realistically though, the only way a significant number of platforms are going to be supported is through (gasp) reopening the source. Cheats are being made already, so why not use the intelligence of the community to stop them by implementing more server side protection. It's a bit better than sticking your head in the sand (I won't repeat the phrase "security though obscurity").

Sorry for going against the status quo. I have no beef with the staff here (at least I think so). But this needs to be said, and said again.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could say it, so I'll say it again. I'm a full time Linux user. I adore open-source software, and depend on it for a day's work. The number of packages and applications I use is amazing, to think they are all free, and updated on demand. However, this does not mean all software should be open source. There is a time and a place for OSS, and this is not it. I fully realize why, and agree with, the dev's decision to close the source for ZDaemon. It's a simple ratio of how it will benefit, against how it will damage, when opening the source. Due to the number of attacks on the master server, zserv crashing tools, aimbots and cheats floating around already, it is most obvious that the drawbacks of opening the source will outweigh the benefits, 4 fold. Seriously, it's a game, I personally am happy with the way it is, it runs fine on Wine, and for the number of people that would play it on SPARC platforms and the like, jeesh, if you want compatibility over competitiveness why not opt for ZDaemon's new born sister, Odamex?

List me the top 100 games of all time, and tell me which percentage of them are open-source. Slightly besides the point, I know, but open-source will not benefit ZDaemon in the slightest. If there's someone remotely good enough to contribute all they have to do is join the dev team. Half the open-source projects only have a small 4-6 person team anyway. In terms of building my own binaries, I simply don't care anymore, as all I have to do is ask (CentOS5 binary plz, next day it's done). Like I said, willing to contribute, then prove yourself, prove you're not a bad guy, and you may be considered for the dev team. Personally I feel they've done a great job on 1.09 so far, even with the time taken, the changes sure show that it's time well spent.

And hey, didn't you hear that for 1.10 a linux client is being considered? I sure did.
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm well, my opinion about OSing zdaemon is .. well different.

Since all those stuff (aimbots, cheats etc.) are a reality, open sourcing would make it more bulletproof then it is. That's the real truth.

Opening the code doesn't mean less security ... it means more.
Hence, more people will work on it to find/patch security holes.

I just hope someday this will be a reality, since zdaemon would benefit greatly with OSing... more developers, more content, bigger player base for sure.

But i would be very happy with closed source linux launcher also, but open source is the way to go.
Danni
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutEcHre wrote:
Since all those stuff (aimbots, cheats etc.) are a reality, open sourcing would make it more bulletproof then it is. That's the real truth.

So people can develop cheats in seconds rather than a few days? Not only faster but more complex and integrated into the engine that makes them harder to detect.

Unfortunately anti-cheat is one giant cat and mouse game and we have the same problem Valve, Microsoft and others face, there is no silver bullet to stop it. We went closed source because more people were adding cheats to the code than were contributing, whats the sense. Also if you notice the cheat that are out there for zdaemon (and please don't go "testing" them unless you want a master ban) use ZDaemon code. If we and zdoom were closed source the whole time it would have taken them significantly longer to develop those.

I too wish that we could open source the engine, heck that's how I got here. But at present it is just not possible. If you realy want to do something, hunt down the 1.06 code and submit a patch.
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, my display is fine using the proprietary 'nvidia' driver, however I ocassionally get the annoying flickering/stuttering on windows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: