ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux & Zdaemon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Linux & Zdaemon Reply with quote

For all those willing to play zdaemon in linux here is a way or howto.

First you need to download IDE (internet doom launcher), Then download zdaemon (zip version not installer), then ''buy'' cedega Smile

Write a simple script called doom2 (or whateva)
# !/bin/bash
echo
LOG_DIR=/home/folder of ide ...
cd $LOG_DIR
cedega ide.exe

Then Chmod +x doom2 (to make it executable)
In the folder you copied zdaemon and ide .. we can call it /home/user/doom you need to put chmod g+rw on that folder(s) so GetWad can work.
This is your launcher.
In IDE set a path to zdaemon.
Enjoy full functional launcher under linux.

Last edited by AutEcHre on Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for people like me who are too cheap to buy cedega, you'll have to use WINE (cedega is a propriraty version of WINE maintained by another company that focuses with directx support and being able to play most games). It's quirky but still plays the game well enough for you to join servers and run around killin stuff. Smile My only problem with it is the low sound quality and the cursor always running out the window. The game centers it every frame, but when you wing your mouse around like me it can escape and you loose mouse controll untill you put it over the window again.
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said wine has problems.
Cedega runz almost smooth, with some sound issues which ''normal'' read ffa ctf player... won't notice.
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... always had a problem of getting the CVS cedega to compile.

I simply use vmware + windows.

It tends to work extremely well on AMD Athlon systems.

Last edited by excelblue on Wed May 24, 2006 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer the search function. Rolling Eyes It's not a crime to resurrect old topics if you have something relevant to contribute, kids. (Can we get a thread merge, Sam?)
Exl
I hate penis like vegetables.

Location: North of the fries, east of the wieners, west of the tea

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point? I stickied this because it gives a solution to something, and people can discuss all they want about Linux and ZDaemon from a fresh start. Merge this and the old Linux topic and you're stuck in a swamp again.
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adereth, i just posted the solution.

In Vmware or wine it doesn't run good, ffs it's hardly playable with that framerate & window/mouse problems.

Now all those linux folks don't need to do anything but to copy paste the ''way'' to play ZD in a linux enviroment.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are we on now?

Personally, I think we should just wait until they get the code less Windows specific and on the road to Linux. I cut down version of ZDaemon is still ZDaemon, whether I like it or not, I just wouldn't be bothered to play it at a disadvantage to everyone else. I wish I saw Cedega in running, to see how well it manages, but in the meantime I have a really clean XP partition on my HD and ZDaemon lives there, end up spending more time on Windows just because I'm playing ZDaemon Razz

But, for those of you that are stuck with Linux, or absolutely need to run it in Linux, depending on what else you are doing, then the above does seem like a good solution. I wouldn't call it "The Solution" AutEcHre, but at the time being it is the best option yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played 1.0.7 in Cedega with no problems at all. It played very smoothly and was very responsive. I did not feel that I had any more or less advantage then a Windows user. I have not tried the newest version but I suspect I can get it running just as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hate dual booters.

FFs, just put windows then and that's it Smile
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I werent dual-booting, I'd stop playing. If I had to choose between windows an linux, it's not even a choice at all. Linux survives longer, costs less, is more secure, is open source, and is like the BFG compared to the peashooter (considering Windows as the peashooter) when it actually comes to the power the OS gives you. With windows it gives you alot of bells and whistles but when you actually want something done (IE. a need for a decent commandline [batch is no where near being what shellscripts are and never will be >_<], or a compiler, or a text editor, or basic tools like partition managers, and just utilities like dd. You'll have to go all over the net seeking them out, and half of the time having to pay for propriraty software while with any distribution of any unix clone all of this is readily available out of the box compleatly free.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorro, don't forget that Windows is designed for the primary consumer: dumbasses. They make it so simple and low functionality that any no-brainer could use it, until you get a common error message that the user has never had any experience on working out what it means. With Linux, you learn your OS inside out, as you commonly build it around what the user requires, not build the user around the OS.

I so wish that Windows wouldn't exist, and everyone uses Linux, and the computer world would be so much more a fun place to be Razz
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update.

Considering IDE, a small bug seem to appear when browsing servers.

The thing is, first time u browse it and find/join the game.. after u finish it, mouse pointer vanishes.
Solution is to click on the log tab and select text in it to gain full funcionality again. Since mouse pointer is visable at the top of IDE (on tabz)

Maybe this bug is related to XFCE, dunno really,
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm don't have that problem but at least you came up with a fix.

There is lots to be done with IDE but IMO it is still the best launcher. I remember in the early Days I looked at Doom Connector, IDE and ZLauncher and laughed at IDE as it looked comical. I am now so used to seeing how many people are in a game by representation of little doomguys that I find it more effective at comparing how many are in each server.
AutEcHre
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little tip.

No matter what way r u running your zdaemon this should help u a bit.

The thing i miss most in linux is a posibility to alt-tab or to be in the game but minimize to do other stuff.

The thing to be done is quite simple. Just bind any key(in doom) to ''Fullscreen false" and another to "Fullscreen true". It's isn't a big deal but it sure helps alot.

So u just press "fullscreen false" and u get black screen small window of the game u joined(at least i do), Then if u want to get back, click on the window and press your binded key "Fullscreen true".
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that WINE isnt really being worked on anymore -_-. Ive had it installed for months and went back to check for an update and it's still at the same exact release. kinda sucky :/
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you code for them then, seeing as you're so good? And Wine is perfectly stable and runs fast for me. I see no reason for an update.
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No call for bleeding edge indeed!

Well, note that ReactOS, WINE's semi-half-step-cousin-sister project, is going through code auditing to make sure it has no MS influences. That might be chewing up developer time a bit, even though they've got clear markings where stuff is from WINE, the developers might be wrapped up in other stuff over there.
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I want to get a way from windows, the last thing I'd do (personally, myself) is recode it Razz I tryed ReactOS and it wouldnt install on both computers I tryed it on. It would install on this one but I dont want to resize any of my partitions.

WINE works very well, but it doesnt run Zdaemon at fullscreen or hook the pointer properly. Looking at the big picture, this is nothing, but it really does make playing miserable. Well, it doesnt hook it wrong per se, but with something like Zdaemon, the way mouse input is done is much more important then a normal program.
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorro wrote:
It seems to me that WINE isnt really being worked on anymore -_-. Ive had it installed for months and went back to check for an update and it's still at the same exact release. kinda sucky :/

There was a big delay between Wine 0.9.12 and Wine 0.9.13. The delay would only be about a month. I check up on it daily, and Wine would usually make a new release every two weeks. The CVS is constantly being updated and you can always try that when in need.

Wine is a very actively developed piece of software as I see it. Though you do want to get away from Windows, I don't see why you shouldn't code for wine though. Improving it actually helps you get away from Windows as you get the apps to work on Linux.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: