ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heretic Bug Listing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Heretic Bug Listing Reply with quote

Although I know not much attention is being directed towards bugfixing Heretic at the moment, I wanted to go ahead and make an official thread concerning all bugs in relation to Heretic. Currently Heretic is in a very stable and playable state and really what bugs it does have are not really major.

Anyways, I'll start with problems that I have found:

1. Spectators splash when entering water, lava, etc...
2. Weredragons hurt themselves every time they fire their projectiles, eventually suiciding.
3. The Morph Ovum does not seem to spawn in Deathmatch (unconfirmed). This worked in 1.06 Coop (as I've got screenshots proving it worked).
4. When wielding and firing the Elven Staff or Dragon Claw, players do not emit a firing sound. This is probably the biggest gameplay problem.
5.Burning death sequence does not occur with phoenix rod and lava.
6.Gibbing and "die high" sounds do not seem to play correctly or at all.
7.Color coded orbs statues do not all use the correct orb graphics. This might have something to do with the fact that the actual orb graphic is seperated from the statue graphic.
8.If a player has a certain skin set and the skin does not exist on the server, ZDaemon forces the base Doom skin instead of the default skin for that game. I think this also has some sort of connection with the reported Doom base skin to appear when the morph ovum is used.

Please feel free to describe any further problems and I'll add them to this list. When it comes time to fix up Heretic, we'll use this list as a reference.

Last edited by EarthQuake on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Skullers
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno if they fixed it, the necromancer gloves kicked person from server for cheating, like the chainsaw used to, but after they fixed the doom chainsaw... i didnt check the current version
Typone
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen can get locked at the Heretic loading screen. Only possible solution for recovery for the client PC is to remote login to the client and kill zdaemon (or with luck and knowing what youre doing you can also manage to kill the process with the taskmanager - if the messed up screen allows you to navigate at least a bit. Only known solution for the server is restarting it.

Typone.

btw, if this shall serve as an ongoing listing of bugs, making it sticky might help.
Vkamicht
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Firemace shots are just broken overall (they seem to fly on if you shoot them upwards, and they don't dissapear if they stop on the ground)

* Phoenix Rod blasts should have a chance of killing someone with "burning death" animation, comes complete with burning sound effect

* Speaking of deaths, they seem a little weird. Slop animation doesn't always play the right sound (sometimes plays normal death)

Man, Heretic DM is really funny. I hope it gets worked on more some time, because I'd like to play it as bugfree as possible.
Asmodean
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psh, I'd like to play it PERIOD. Everytime I see a server going it gives me errors when I try to join.
signofzeta
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mind as well revive this post since everyone seems to be reviving here. Anyway, heretic should be fixed.

Features include:
Burning death
Chickens
Burning death
Did I mention burning death?
Burning chickens

Also the fact that your screen freezes when you join makes that a really big problem.
The Ultimate DooMer
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other bugs I remember from 1.23 are the morph eggs not appearing and gas pods not doing any damage when crushed.
signofzeta
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do you want these to be the first priority to be fixed? Seems like doom works just fine for me. Since when people join, their screen sometimes lock up.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone saying that heretic crashes, is unstable, or locks up their computer: I have yet to experience such a thing. Perhaps those getting crashes are not using the proper iwad. The latest is 1.3 but alot of people still use 1.0.

Also keep in mind that in ZDaemon, Heretic is about as bug ridden as Doom is. Think about it.

And what's wrong with the chicken? You didn't care to explain.
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, although I'm sure I havent played as much heretic as EQ, the times that I have, I've had no problems.
signofzeta
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthQuake wrote:
To anyone saying that heretic crashes, is unstable, or locks up their computer: I have yet to experience such a thing. Perhaps those getting crashes are not using the proper iwad. The latest is 1.3 but alot of people still use 1.0.

Also keep in mind that in ZDaemon, Heretic is about as bug ridden as Doom is. Think about it.

And what's wrong with the chicken? You didn't care to explain.

Ok, the when I turn someone into a chicken, I see a green base skin.

The orb things that signify yellow doors and green doors are blue instead of their respective colors

There is no flaming death from being killed by a phoenix rod or dying in lava.

So heretic is not bug ridden as doom is.
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

signofzeta wrote:
Ok, the when I turn someone into a chicken, I see a green base skin.

The orb things that signify yellow doors and green doors are blue instead of their respective colors

There is no flaming death from being killed by a phoenix rod or dying in lava.

Have you actually tried updating the IWAD? While it's not the IWAD itself, it's rather the compatiblity. This all sounds like an IWAD problem. Also, you've made this complaint before, I wonder why are you being redundant.

As for the Heretic is not bug-ridden as Doom is: that part only applies to probably the engine. AFAIK, they are about the same. In ZDaemon though, Doom does not break even though Heretic probably has a few problems.

The flaming death capabilities and the chicken stuff are just features that nobody has really spent time to implent. There aren't too much Heretic players here.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

signofzeta wrote:

What you are describing are cosmetic bugs. They have no real effects on gameplay. Doom has minor glitches like this too, but in addition we got problems like the CTF flag bug (where players hold their own colored flags), or flashing red screens, or corpses walking around, and there's even more I've not mentioned. Heretic might share some of these bugs, we just don't know yet.

Don't dismiss Heretic as something inferior to Doom because of bugs (I dunno if you were using sarcasm or not). They both have them and it's just a matter of dealing with them.

I'm going to update the original post now, thanks for all the reports.

TUD: Could you elaborate on the pods not damaging when "crushed"?
signofzeta
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means pods exploding under a crushing ceiling but I dunno.

It is a rare case that this happens in vanilla heretic so I don't know if this should be fixed. Who puts barrels or pods under crushing ceilings?

If this is not the case then...
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so no one reports this as a bug, only one Firemace can be present in the map at once. If more than one Firemace thing is present, one of them is randomly selected as the real Firemace, whilst the rest are transformed into monsters.

Also, in regards to the Firemace ball report, I can see no real bugs in the way they behave.

1. They bounce off floors and ceilings, not walls.
2. Occasionally, a larger than normal ball will be shot, and when it bounces, it releases a few normal sized balls which travel from each of it's sides.
3. All the balls will only bounce a few times.
4. All the balls have a consistent gravity, except for the larger-than-normal balls, which seem to shoot straight out no matter which direction you are facing.
5. All balls disappear into water, slime, and lava.

I see nothing that deviates from the original game.

One last note: the burning death sequence does play, just not while online.
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there are no "player joins server" noises or "player teamchats" noises... these can be a bit of a drag when idling in a DM server. ("You are tied for the lead." Wha? What'd I do? Aaaaaaaah!)
Vkamicht
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthQuake wrote:
Just so no one reports this as a bug, only one Firemace can be present in the map at once. If more than one Firemace thing is present, one of them is randomly selected as the real Firemace, whilst the rest are transformed into monsters.

Also, in regards to the Firemace ball report, I can see no real bugs in the way they behave.

1. They bounce off floors and ceilings, not walls.
2. Occasionally, a larger than normal ball will be shot, and when it bounces, it releases a few normal sized balls which travel from each of it's sides.
3. All the balls will only bounce a few times.
4. All the balls have a consistent gravity, except for the larger-than-normal balls, which seem to shoot straight out no matter which direction you are facing.
5. All balls disappear into water, slime, and lava.

I see nothing that deviates from the original game.

One last note: the burning death sequence does play, just not while online.

My bug list was in reference to online (deathmatch) play... and I'll have to check the firemace shots again.
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respawning items are silent.

Heretic and Doom use the same section for their player configuration, which has particularly nasty implications for fans of the ZBot skin. A few solutions, including blocking the skin's usage in Heretic entirely (as bots resort to Base), and, of course, using another section for this (or at least the skin variable.)

(EDIT: As Cybershark has apparently informed me, the last paragraph is unnecessary because Kilgore plans to make the ZBot skin inaccessible in general. Hooray! This, logically, does not effect the silentness of item respawning... I suppose missing SFX would probably be an easier issue to deal with if there were sounds to actually add, but at least having it trigger an event for, say, the same lump names Doom uses would be nice.)
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the firemace: it's suspiciously prone to getting stuck projectiles on the floor, as mentioned.

Also, attempting to change your inventory item while spectating offline causes a crash.
signofzeta
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from version 1.08 I see that the dragon claw and elvenwand does not make a blue for dragon claw and yellow for elven wand star like thing when you fire it at a wall and when you fire it at an opponent. I can't tell if I'm hitting them or not. Firemace is supposed to arc and it does not in zdaemon. I only is a problem in online play. I kinda like the no arcing firemace bug as it makes the firemace seem more powerful than the other weapons.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: