ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pennywise (1on1)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gollum
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Pennywise (1on1) Reply with quote

Name: Pennywise
Location: http://sistersofdoom.org/gollum/pennywise.zip [7.7kb zipped]
Players: 2
DMFLAGS: 201796
DMFLAGS2: 0
Maplist: MAP01

I should disclaim that if you're not actually playing against a semi-decent DMer (not a bot; they don't know how to navigate this map :p), you might think this map is a lot more flawed than it really is. it plays quite decently when you're actually in a game, imo.

I tried to make a map that was cramped and fast-paced while still allowing for stealth and/or trickery. it has a handy use for pretty much all (DM-friendly) weapons, except for plasma of course because there is none. imo, it came out resembling some oldschool maps, or at least some aspects of their gameplay; if you know some movement/tactics in judas23 or dweller2map11, you might see the resemblance, too. or maybe I'm just out of my mind because it's 2:30am.

as should be expected from me, this map is kind of crappy looking (perhaps another aspect that reminds me of oldschool maps? Smile).

I think I just kinda reviewed my own map.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
VincentPrice
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost 2:00 am here...I think its a quite good map, I can see a lot of tricks involving the teleports/switches/lift, and yeah I hear you on plasma, elevation changes tend to screw that weapon faster than a group of recently paroled criminals on aphrodisiacs take to screw an attractive...nevermind. I'm not much of a critic so...I don't feel like giving the usual rating/I pulled a random number out of my ass percentage system so here's my take on it.

Gameplay seems top notch, maybe even for a tourney map in my opinion. Detail is kinda cool if looked at in the light of paying homage to older maps, and the candle is the corner I really liked, maybe its just my, or your, sense of humor >). The music is badass but...then again it is the infamous "running from evil" track.

I think you and I see things similarly in terms of movement, maybe our ages of ssg dancing/wall humping together warped our minds on what is proper movement, although I feel this map is no where near as claustrophobic or cramped as the one I just put out.

Final Thought: Catch me online sometime and I'll play it with you, and I think its cool.

- [DUI] Vincent
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded to http://raider.dnsalias.com:8001/doom/userwads/pennywise.zip
hobomaster22
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map seems like an improvement from the last. The only real problems I have with it is the 'brownhug' texture really bothers me when used in excession. The marble area seems to be lacking. The map just seems like it needs more, maybe a skyline type of thing in the marble section if you know what I mean. Maybe add something that goes into the marble section and such, and if you ask me it could use at least a plasma rifle to make it more interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map is a very interesting map and certainly is an improvement from the last one. It seems to flow very well in the sense that there is at least two routes out of every single area, and that you can temporarily jump away from the circular flow with the lifts and teleports. It would be a good idea to have more ammo and weapons in there as the current amount is a bit lacking.

There are only a few things I don't like about this map. Most of the things are related to graphics in the sense that the teleporter doesn't look natural with it's floor and ceiling height being the same as the sector it's in. In addition, the switch that teleports you does not feel right either. Another thing is the marble part sticking out with all the brown and green parts. I really wonder what's the purpose of the sector in between the brown part and the hall below it. It seems like that there's really no purpose as it doesn't seem like something that you could fall in to.

One of the things you should watch out for is compatibility. Even though the map loaded fine in all other ports I know of, the turbo lifts will not work. Please try to tag the lifts and use SR - Lower Turbo Lift when possible. That way, this map will in theory be fully compatible with all ports with no apparent difference.

Overall: 7/10
Gollum
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the teleport switch in at the last minute, and still haven't tested it with a real player. before, there was no way to get back up to the ledge; your only choice was to go on the right side. int28, the person I was testing with, pointed out that if you're playing someone good.. within a few frags they'll find out that you're only going to come out on the right, and it could get really impossible.

but I still didn't want the ledge to be accessed too much.. I put the switch there so thatyou definitely have to face the outside when pressing it, so that he would both see and hear that you went to the left. if you wanted, you could still strafe out to the right and trick him, but he'd know you wanted to go left and might beat you to the chase. so, I'm open to another way you can accomplish what I wanted. that idea was just the only one I had.

and I had a "real" teleport pad in there, but I didn't like it. I thought just the plain flat was good enough.

I really should've put more effort into detail. *I* hate green/marble textures. I started the outside to see if it would fit the inside; it didn't really, but I didn't feel like spending too much time either, so I just kept going with gstone1. :p

excelblue wrote:
I really wonder what's the purpose of the sector in between the brown part and the hall below it. It seems like that there's really no purpose as it doesn't seem like something that you could fall in to.

erm, that was an attempt at detail =P
I thought the floor right up against the ledge was really ugly.. this didn't add much, but I kind of liked it.

and I forgot to replace music and the title. whoops.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice BFG trick, took me a while to find it Razz
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviewed by AlexMax

edit by deathz0r: Fixed url tag, silly Sam!
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samiam wrote:
Reviewed by AlexMax

edit by deathz0r: Fixed url tag, silly Sam!

Razz thanks you.

Hosted on GSN #09
BadfisH
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what the format is for reviewing a map.. but i played one game and i liked it. not sure what the elevator is doing on the large stairs. even if the elevator is down you can still run up the stairs. good job

*hint* tournament map *hint*
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadfisH wrote:
not sure what the format is for reviewing a map.. but i played one game and i liked it. not sure what the elevator is doing on the large stairs. even if the elevator is down you can still run up the stairs. good job

*hint* tournament map *hint*

Read what I put in comments Razz (just click view comments link next to the actual review), it's good to see you replying to the threads Smile .
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samiam wrote:
Read what I put in comments Razz (just click view comments link next to the actual review)

Idea

rather than having to click on the comments link how about having the comments displayed on the same page below the review? or maybe have a display on the main review page of the number of comments that have been made?

i say this as a lazy person who'd like to avoid unnecessary clicks but also as one who'd like to not have to open up an empty comments page. (not that this seems to be a problem yet.)

just my tuppence - not deliberately trying to make more work for people Embarassed
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Raider was talking about adding some way to tell if a new comment has been added, he's been a bit busy just lately hopefully fairly soon he will be able to add this feature Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: