ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Invisible things under water

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Invisible things under water Reply with quote

Since the latest update, I cannot see any things (monsters, power-ups, projectiles) in the underwater area of my Descent map. This used to work just fine, but not now.

I made a test map using a pretty much identical set-up, and the problem is reproduced. In the water in the map (MAP01) are radsuits and plasma cell packs, but you cannot see them nor the plasma balls you shoot. You can pick up stuff and your plasma balls leave decals on the wall, so the things are there, but invisible. If you summon a monster, it and its projectiles will also be invisible, but you can hear it and take damage from it.

I know that having the floor and ceiling of the dummy sector equal to each other and above the ceiling of the real sector is an unusual way to make swimmable water, but it works, or at least it used to. It lets me use the skybox to make the surface of the water appear to be well above the top of the base.

Oops, I just realized I forgot to put the WATERMAP texture on the transfer heights line, but that doesn't affect the bug.

Test wad download: deepwatertester
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem similiar to this
http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=15526

I faced same issue many times yet with scaled only actors, never basic ones... weurdo Shocked

We need ZDaemon in Vulkan Twisted Evil
UberGewei
SuperAntler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://85.214.149.120/demowads/transfer_height_test.zip

So, here's a new test wad. Don't mind the left and right sectors, they are there for testing purposes. Compared to ZDoom they act the same.

The problem Empyre is talking about, occurs within the middle one.
When the 'dummy' sector's floor that is assigned to it, is above the desired sector it should be transferred to, everything within that sector will be invisible.

Note that this only happens when the 'dummy' sector's floor is above the desired sector's ceiling.

According to Empyre, this didn't happen before.
As ZDaemon just rendered the actors anyway (I can't confirm on that one, but seems unlikely to me).
ZDoom in comparison does render them anyway (can confirm on that one).

I really doubt wether this should be considered a problem or not, the situation itself is really uncommon.
I think that this is an inherent limitation of how this feature works.

ZDaemon:

ZDoom:

Edit - permanent link added, sponsored by Krawa.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Investigations showed: the behaviour of the engine is ok, but ZDoom has a protection if the settings of transfer height are out of range.
The dummy sector's floor is above the real sector's ceiling.
So it's moved to rejected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: