ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does the invis sphere work in ZDaemon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Memfis
MemfisWatt

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: How does the invis sphere work in ZDaemon? Reply with quote

It seems to kind of make you really invisible (as opposed to the vanilla behavior) but not fully I think as sometimes some monsters still notice you? How does it work exactly? This would be very useful to know in some situations where you want to sneak by a scary cyberdemon or whatever.
Memfis
MemfisWatt

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-multiplayer/88461-how-does-the-invis-sphere-work-in-zdaemon/

Here Gez explains how it works in ZDoom.

Is ZDaemon behavior the same?
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I need to tap the CAPSLOCK to stop running/strafing when I pick up the invisibility sphere... Kind of interesting that you could move a little bit undetected albeit slower than normal. Seems like you could not keep moving at a constant rate though, because you would gain velocity too quickly before triggering some monsters

I do always recall that monsters kind of wake up randomly when you have the sphere enabled, so it's cool to see an explanation of why this happens
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF am i reading?

It seems that indeed we use the following code in the function P_LookForPlayers:
Code:
         if ((player->powers[pw_invisibility]) || (player->powers[pw_ghost]))
         {
            if ((P_AproxDistance (player->mo->x - actor->x,
                             player->mo->y - actor->y) > 2*MELEERANGE)
                  && P_AproxDistance (player->mo->momx, player->mo->momy)
                  < 5*FRACUNIT)
            {
               // Player is sneaking - can't detect
               return false;
            }
            if (P_Random() < 225)
            {
               // Player isn't sneaking, but still didn't detect
               return false;
            }
         }

Did a bit of research and it seems that this behaviour comes from Heretic and is also used in Hexen.

From Heretics p_enemy.c:
Code:
      if(player->mo->flags&MF_SHADOW)
      { // Player is invisible
         if((P_AproxDistance(player->mo->x-actor->x,
            player->mo->y-actor->y) > 2*MELEERANGE)
            && P_AproxDistance(player->mo->momx, player->mo->momy)
            < 5*FRACUNIT)
         { // Player is sneaking - can't detect
            return(false);
         }
         if(P_Random() < 225)
         { // Player isn't sneaking, but still didn't detect
            return(false);
         }
      }

In Doom the invisibility sphere only affected the A_FaceTarget and P_SpawnMissile functions if i did not miss another spot.

Maybe this additional behaviour needs a dmflag to restore doom vanilla invisibility.

But given this heretic style behaviour i really wonder why we have not seen any Thief like gameplay mods yet. Maybe we will see them now Laughing
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:
Maybe this additional behaviour needs a dmflag to restore doom vanilla invisibility.

I noticed this quite some time ago and thought it was intentional!
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably intentionally added by zdoom and we just inherited from the zdoom base that zdaemom was built on.

But i was not aware of that behaviour and i don't remeber anyone mentioning it before.
Memfis
MemfisWatt

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you of all people didn't know about this? That's cute. I agree a dmflag would be nice. In some situations this can change a lot I think.

Also would be nice to have a dmflag for monsters opening/not opening fast doors... (in vanilla they can't open fast ones)
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZDoom behavior is better than Brutal Doom. Brutal Doom, I think you're invisible until you do damage to a monster or if you get REALLY close and shoot your gun. If you are far away enough and fire your gun, monsters do not see you. If you are standing in front of Brutal Doom monster and shoot, I believe they will hear you most of the time

I have to say tho, I remember some people REALLY complaining that ZDoom broke some maps because of the invisibility sphere modification. Maps where you fight in an arena and pick up a sphere right away, it gives you a lot of time to choose where to begin the fight and pick up all the items you need before waking up monsters

Myself, I do not care either way. I think the Heretic/Hexen behavior that phenex2 pointed out is pretty awesome in fact it makes a lot more sense than Doom 2. I never really understood as a kid "why do these guys even see me from 1 kilometer away if I'm partially invisible?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: