ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spike lag / Doom 2 Steam / Windows 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liberteer
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Spike lag / Doom 2 Steam / Windows 10 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I've installed Windows 10 on my laptop the other day and naturally, reinstalled Doom 2. I'm using Doom Explorer/ ZDaemon / Zandronum combo and on my home PC it works wonders (home PC is Windows 7).

Now, the thing is I'm getting enormous lag spikes on Windows 10. It's usually around 40-50, but when I play it rises to over 800 and completely freezes me for second or two, making game unplayable.

Did any of you had similar problem or could offer any kind of suggestions how to solve this?
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no advice for Windows 10

As a rule I always turn off Steam whenever I'm not immediately using it. Remove it from the start-up list of programs when Windows 10 starts.
The only reason I say that is because you used "Steam" in the topic title. good luck
Liberteer
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
I have no advice for Windows 10

As a rule I always turn off Steam whenever I'm not immediately using it. Remove it from the start-up list of programs when Windows 10 starts.
The only reason I say that is because you used "Steam" in the topic title. good luck

My Doom II is bought on Steam and I'm using it for stats (I've even managed to connect Zandronum, Zdaemon and Doom Explorer in hellish threesome and I'm recording my stats too!).

Unfortunately, after updating drivers to their latest version, I see spike lag is something that's Microsoft guilty of. Nevermind, I'll use my home PC for Doom, just reinstalled fresh copy of Windows 7 Smile
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah excellent, an engineer's mindset with statistics gathering and number crunching. Smile Glad you are making the Steam behemoth useful.
I'm certain some nerds around here have Win10, they just don't visit the forums very often. Might try asking in #zdplayers when intelligent people are online (your mileage may vary).

Good option reverting to Windows 7. It has never failed me and I refuse to change it for the time being, hah

Can you run any of these games in "compatibility mode for Windows 7 service pack 3" when you are in windows 10?

We asked the hive mind and it read some tea leaves:
Code:

23:08  <Karakurt>   i'm not sure if his issue is related to win10
23:08  <Karakurt>   could be his gpu driver
23:11  <[R]GhostFace>   check if his router and firewall settings are blocking doom
23:11  <[R]GhostFace>   i had a shitty router that made me lag in doom
23:11  <[R]GhostFace>   then i found out it was blocking doom but i still could play it
23:12  <Karakurt>   that liberteer dude is probably playing in windowed that's probably what causes it
23:12  <Karakurt>   i know zd was buggy at some point with windowed
23:13  <Karakurt>   even in win7
23:13  <[R]GhostFace>   sudden fps drops make the ping spike

23:11  <[R]GhostFace>   hey TheCupboard tell your buddy to hmm
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<[R]GhostFace> hey TheCupboard tell your buddy to hmm
<[R]GhostFace> check if his router and firewall settings are blocking doom

In case his last sentence didn't make any sense, that's actually what he tried to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: