ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Norton vs ZDaemon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nirbles
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Norton vs ZDaemon Reply with quote

Latest version of Norton from Comcast keeps going ballistic over Zdaemon. First it ate Zdaemon.exe, then it tried to take zwizard...later it blocked zdaemon access to internet. It insists something called ws1 reputation is infecting stuff...I got around it but soemthing is triggering false alarms
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the detection method that they use.

It is coming up with false results.

It can be confirmed that the software is clean.

You may want to look into a different Anti-virus program.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that some people trust their AV more than the program creators (incorrectly in my view, since it's in the interest of the AV sellers to scare people into thinking that everything is a virus, but hey... everyone is entitled to his views); however, look at the virustotal AV scanner service which tests files against 55+ different AV programs. One can surely trust that over any single AV seller. Here are the results for:You can search google about what exactly WS.Reputation.1 means. It's fairly obvious (to me) that it's typical AV scare tactics. However, only you can determine who is worthy of your trust and who isn't.
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
I can understand that some people trust their AV more than the program creators <...>
However, only you can determine who is worthy of your trust and who isn't.

I honestly don't think nirbles meant to say "I don't trust your software because it has viruses". Rather, he explicitly stated that his Norton is triggering false alarms. So it was merely a report that the latest version of Norton really doesn't "like" ZDaemon; noone said ZDaemon shouldn't be trusted or anything like that.
Still, I guess there's probably not much you could with it on your end though.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure; I didn't say (or imply) anything bad there; I just laid down some facts. Wink

As for ws.reputation1, how can we possibly do anything about it? if new programs are auto-quarantined because they're "unknown", then they will remain "unknown" for ever since users are blocked from running them. From my POV, there is no way I would ever run some AV program that blocks things without asking and I would certainly not block programs just because my AV doesn't know about them (of course that also means that one has more responsibilities as a user, but that's the way life is).
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found your problem, all apologies on my tardy arrival.
nirbles wrote:
Latest version of Norton from Comcast

Comcast is not a good internet service provider. Do not follow every recommendation they give you. If they had their way, you would have not only anti-virus software, but 2 routers in your home, 2 wireless access points, and a high-definition cable television package including Cinemax and Showtime.

I sympathize, I had these crooks for 2 years until they decided to double my bill at the flip of a switch because I was all done being "new and important" customer.

Anti virus software is an oxymoron nowadays. That shitty program is running in the background, constantly monitoring directories it shouldn't bother sticking its nose into. If you are a responsible internet user, you should limit your anti virus program procurement to the times when you finally have a veritable computer slowdown or malware emergency. Once the emergency is over you learn 2 things: I won't do that dumb browsing habit again. I will be really glad to get this antivirus program off my computer because this thing never stops running (it is a virus in itself).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: