ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DWANGO: 20th Anniversary!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: DWANGO: 20th Anniversary! Reply with quote

Hello yet again my fellow fraggers. Twisted Evil

The 20th anniversary of DWANGO is approaching quickly! If you love to frag your buddies over ZDaemon, just remember, this is the history of our addiction!

When Bob Huntley and Kee Kimbrell pitched the DWANGO idea to id Software, John Carmack and the others were largely uninterested, but the duo found support in John Romero, the godfather of deathmatching!

Remember, this was a time before the internet had really caught on. Doomers had to dial long distance to Houston, TX - Despite this, DWANGO was wildly popular, and the creators reaped a well deserved profit from the subscription fees. By early 1995, over nine thousand subscribers were paying $8.95 a month, some calling from as far as Italy and Australia! It warms my heart to know Aussies have been fragging since the olden days.

The official anniversary date is December 11th, 2014 - I know I'm early, but hell, why not get our celebratory frags in now! To honor the event, I've compiled some of the best DM maps from 1994-1998, which was Dwango's full lifespan.

Screenshots:

The main difference between this and the classic DWANGO wads is that every author is actually going to recieve credit Wink

Code:
Denis Moeller- Map02 (Point Blank 4)

The Prophet- Map03, Map10, Map15, Map21 (PROPHET Series)

Patrick Hook- Map04, Map05, Map25 (HOOKED.wad)

Timer- Map06 (RAT in a CAGE), Map18 (The Pillars)

Emilio Galasso- Map07 (DAMNATION ALLEY II)

The Giggler- Map08 (Giggler3), Map12 (Thrill Me), Map17 (Giggler5)

Michael Daniels- Map09, Map24, Map28 (PudWhacker!)

Tony Hafner- Map11 (Spotlite), Map26 (Ankle Bite)

Alissa Colby- Map13 (GSXR_13)

Cory Malain- Map14 (QUAD KILL)

Shaft- Map16 (Brutal Deathmatch)

Chris Donges- Map19 (Harmony)

Dan Silver- Map20 (Clover Leaf)

PiGMaN- Map22 (WTF-PIGMAN01)

Brent Marvich & Ted Peterson- Map23 (MerDoom II)

Blue- Map27 (The Iron Cross)

Virgil Itliong- Map29 (Church Of Doom II)

Warren Marshall- Map30 (Death By Cyberdemon)

Thrasher & Whiplash- Map31 (Football Stadium)

TraversD- Map32 (Afterlife)

Enough of this talking, LET'S PLAY ALREADY!

Download DWANGO20 here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gdymu7g6htfyg23/Dwango20.zip
(This may go without saying, but this WAD is 100% vanilla compatible!)

I hope to see you all online, there are a few dwango20 servers up already (Thanks to Mega-Dog and Maikl_Russia!)

Happy 20th anniversary!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflexively I wanna blurt out "fuck DWANGO", but that's solely down to my loathing over the amount of overplay that DW5 got.

But respect to them, for getting the whole internet DM ball rolling. And they do have the occasionally worthwhile map in some of their compilations too Smile
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the truth is many of the old Dwango maps aren't so great. I can't believe they were more popular than the maps in this compilation. All from the same era but definitely a step up in gameplay!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: