ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TNS #140 - The Twilight Zone II: Final Dreams (Part I)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: TNS #140 - The Twilight Zone II: Final Dreams (Part I) Reply with quote

Prepare for the unusual, albeit not in black and white. A megawad from 1999 by Paul Corfiatis, this pack boasts some interesting level designs filled with enough monsters for everyone to tussle with.

DMFLAGS: 1174487140 / 806496256 / 0
IWAD: doom2 or freedoom070
PWADs: twzone2, tnsskins1a
Maps: map01-map16
Lives: 1
Players: 20/50
Item Respawn Time: 60 Seconds
Player Join Limit: 5 Minutes

Date: 17th April 2014

Euro session: 19:00 BST (that's 14:00 EDT)
US session: 19:00 EDT (that's 00:00 BST)

Servers:
  • [L@P] - Germany, Europe
  • DUI - New Jersey, USA
Caleb13
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Cut out custom sounds Reply with quote

Alteus, TZ2 contains some really shitty custom sounds and unnecessary sprites (such as Hexen-type fist). As I noticed, many TNS players hate that (myself included). So I cut that crap out, but I retained the "Ejaculator" chainsaw replacement weapon and custom monsters, as they're not all that bad. You can download the cut version here:

http://sharesend.com/o6c8rthq

Please use it instead of original TZ2 file.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have enough time left to check for possible dehacked conflicts so there will be no TNS custom monsters and items this session. I agree that the sounds really don't fit in well with standard doom monsters and environment so cut what you think should be cut, but bear in mind that some of the sounds seem to be shuffled around in dehacked and there may be unexpected results.

EDIT: I see that some of the sounds are accompanied with appropriate sprites, it might make sense to keep them in such cases... but, anyway, I don't know the wad enough and neither do I want to make the call this time.
Caleb13
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew about the sounds, I fixed the dehacked so they would behave like in original Doom2. The sounds associated with sprites are mainly for impaled and hanged corpses (which will gib if you shoot them). However, this is bugged even in the original WAD, so some corpses spawn dying archviles, others spawn dying marines (I didn't bother to fix this, as they're not that frequent in the maps). There are also "ambient" Hexen-like sounds, which I left there.

If you want, I could cut out all custom monsters and weapons. It would make the WAD somewhat easier though, and would probably break boss fight in MAP30.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, seems like you thought it through. Alteus and/or memfis should be around in time today, so they will decide this.
Caleb13
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw damnit, I forgot to fix dehacked sounds of invisible Nazis in MAP12. Nothing serious, but here is the new version of the WAD:

http://sharesend.com/q6vp529c
Memfis
MemfisWatt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this Caleb! We will use your version.
Caleb13
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, sorry about those annoying item spawning sounds. I didn't know they can be replaced via custom WADs, too. Also, I didn't expect any WAD author would choose such a lame one. Oh well, the more you know... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: