ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Display monsters' sprees and multikills in Survival

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caleb13
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Display monsters' sprees and multikills in Survival Reply with quote

In many Thursday Night Survival games, it happens that some lucky cyberdemon (or another strong monster) kills several players, sometimes in rapid succession. This is usually viewed as funny event by the players and spectators alike. So it would be nice if Zdaemon could display monsters' killing sprees and multikills as well. Thing number could be used instead of name, so the text would be something like "Cyberdemon [thing number] is on a killing spree!" or "Chaingunner [thing number] had multi kill!"

I guess it could find some use in Coop, too.
Zedek
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that it can be done via ACS, you should request this to TNS admins.
Caleb13
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I looked at what could be done with ACS. Nothing too complicated - a 2x50 (or so) array which would store player kills by monsters and some identifier of said monsters. Unfortunately, ACS provides no way to identify which actor/monster killed a player. I guess there is a reason why obituaries are implemented directly in Zdoom/Zdaemon code...

I'm not saying it is completely impossible, though. I could conceivably write a script which would search (StrIcmp) the console for certain strings (such as "splattered by cyberdemon") and count them. I could even infer if the lucky monster was killed with the help of ThingCount to reset the counters. But this would obviously be very, very far from perfect: 1. without unique monster identifiers, there would be false positives. 2. It wouldn't work for custom monsters. 3. The scripts would be rather complex and their execution could slown down older computers needlessly.

Edit: Rhinoduck told me that Zdaemon doesn't support ACS string functions yet. Therefore, it is impossible to do at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Pending Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: