ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[1.10] push yields total system crash & reboot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phineas
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: [1.10] push yields total system crash & reboot Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, please forgive me if I find the forums to be a maze.

Last week, I downloaded and installed version 1.10beta1. I'm paranoid so I test in a new directory. Each and every time I tried to join a game from the ZLauncher, it yielded a blue screen of death with an immediate reboot of my computer. I was figuring, "Okay, well, it does say beta so I guess it will be straightened out soon..."

Today, I started my copy of 1.09.01 up and was given a push update to 1.10. I was able to test the dfrag1 server in France but upon exiting the game, I got the same BSoD followed by immediate reboot.

Is there a new list of system requirements for ZDaemon? I'm running Windows XP SP3 which is updated all the way to Saturday, Dec. 28th, 2013.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run dxdiag and check what directx version you have. should be 9.0c.
Can you check in the windows device manager what gfx card you have (the exact model; e.g., Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150)?
phineas
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: 9.0c version of DirectX confirmed... Reply with quote

Output of DxDiag:
============
Name: AMD Radeon HD 6320
Mfr: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display Adapter (0x9806)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Approx. Total Memory: 512MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Dell 1901FP (Analog)
Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.7200 (English)
Date: 6/29/2011 04:36:46
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

In Device Manager, I have three display adapters listed:
AMD Radeon HD 6320
DisplayLink Graphics Adapter and
DisplayLink Mirror Adapter

I'm pretty sure the other two adapters are for a USB/external VGA that I don't currently have connected, however, I had none of the BSoD issues using ZDaemon 1.09. Hope this info helps!
phineas
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: here's a little addendum... Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help or not but I've seen the following behavior before when working on a program in DirectX/DirectDraw. When in full-screen under that scenario, I used to see things float up from the systray, like if I've got a program that notifies me "All files have finished downloading" or other scrolly notifications. Enough background, on to tonite:

So I ran the new 1.10 ZDaemon on my other computer which has an nVidia card rather than an AMD Radeon. The nVidia driver puts these little toggle things on top of all windows except for DOS windows. See this pic for example:
http://prfunky.dastardlyduo.com/nVidiaStuff.PNG

I was very happy to not get a blue-screen-of-death followed by an immediate reboot on this computer. It didn't happen when I joined a server nor when I left. Happiness abounds...

But, if I swap between full-screen and windowed mode of ZDaemon, I get that little titlebar decoration appearing and blinking madly superimposed on the top of the screen when I return to full-screen mode. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to exit that ZDaemon session and join a new one.

I hope that helps isolate where your change from version 1.09 to version 1.10 has yielded my other problem.

Thanks!
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let us try the following since your AMD driver is quite outdated:
Update your Radeon drivers: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-9_xp32_dd_ccc_whql.exe
and while we are at it update the DisplayLink Graphics Adapter for good measure: http://www.displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=103
On the other PC try updating the Nvidia driver: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-en (select the correct gfx card model here).
Maybe this will help already.
phineas
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: 13-9_xp32_dd_ccc_whql.exe installed ~ BSoD on exit Reply with quote

Okay, I updated to the ATi driver you specified. Thought I'd try one other thing before posting again too.
1) ran full-screen, then exit program -> yielded BSoD crash
2) ran full-screen, then prior to exiting was going to switch back to windowed mode -> yielded BSoD crash on switch back to window, never got to exit game through menu.

A couple of things here are now different than when I last spoke of this machine;
We can eliminate ANYTHING about the aforementioned DisplayLink USB video adapter (the one that I had a listing in Device Mgr. for but wasn't plugged in) as I'd run a brand new install of Windows XP on a totally different hard drive. On THIS install, I get the BSoD without the immediate reboot. The offending piece is definitely part of the ATi driver package and its name on the BSoD is aticqag.dll
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be fixed with the recent AMD driver bug fix in b08.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Fixed Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: