ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TNS #93 - 2003 WAD Retrospective

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Memfis
MemfisWatt

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: TNS #93 - 2003 WAD Retrospective Reply with quote

This time we will be playing a compilation of various 2003 WADs, including such classics as Vrack 3 and Helpyourselfish, as well as more obscure but very nice Death Revealed, Metamorphism, Spinal Injury and many others. Oh, and there's an infamous jokewad somewhere in there too.

DMFLAGS: 100745252 / 806758400
PWADs: TNSC2003, miekskins-r3, tskins1e, tns93
Maps: map01-map18
Lives: 1
Players: 25/50
Item Respawn Time: 60 Seconds
Player Join Limit: 5 Minutes

Date: 23rd May 2013

Euro session: 19:00 BST (that's 14:00 EDT)
US session: 19:00 EDT (that's 00:00 BST)

Servers:
  • [L@P] - Germany, Europe
  • DUI - New Jersey, USA
Sicamore
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that NUTS3 with the UFOs on the bottom right? Very Happy
Alteus
Altues

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it is just some simple slaughter map.
InsaneDoomer
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a really good idea! Small mistake to report though: Map07, the level from Flashback, should have the Inferno hell sky, not the SOH Deimos sky. If you play Flashback Demo 1 with ZDoom, E2M5 indeed has the Inferno sky, consistent with it being a reimagining of the original E3M2 (Slough of Despair).

Also - for what it's worth - Congestion Control 2 (Map03) had a special ZDoom-only music track.
Memfis
MemfisWatt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sica: you were close, it is NUTS2. Smile Not sure if it is playable online though, we'll have to do some tests before the session. I hope everything will be fine cuz it's a funny map. Smile

InsaneDoomer: Thanks for the info, I'm a bit reluctant to do any changes since I already posted the link though... Some people already downloaded the wad, so if I update it they will be confused when the server will not let them join on Thursday... And which behavior is correct is debatable anyway since these wads aren't for ZDoom. So I think I'll leave it as it is for now. Find a more serious problem and maybe I'll fix everything. Razz
Sicamore
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memfis wrote:
Sica: you were close, it is NUTS2. Smile Not sure if it is playable online though, we'll have to do some tests before the session. I hope everything will be fine cuz it's a funny map. Smile

Yey! I knew it!

And about running the map, NUTS2 should run fine as it has considerably less monsters than NUTS or NUTS3.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in case you decide to release an update please change the name to e.g., TNSC2003a and the next update would be TNSC2003b and so on.
usually its better to add a letter to the wad from the start, then you can reserve the 'actual' name for the final release when all fixes are applied.

Sicamore wrote:
And about running the map, NUTS2 should run fine as it has considerably less monsters than NUTS or NUTS3.

This might be true for the server ... the bottleneck will be the clients connections though. when you have that many monsters moving/changing states and spawning projectiles then that data needs to be sent to the client and it will be A LOT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: