ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TNS #70 - Back to Saturn X Episode I: Get Out Of My Stations
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Evolution
Spamming!


Joined: 06 Sep 2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: TNS #70 - Back to Saturn X Episode I: Get Out Of My Stations Reply with quote



Back this week for another great, and this time I'm making a last minute decision on what to play due to the fact that we haven't rocked out on a new doomworld release for a while. I wanted to drop just a few names of those who've worked on this project but it's impossible just to pick a few.

Just see for youself how awesome a team this is:
  • Mappers:

    Michael "Esselfortium" Mancuso
    Paul "Skillsaw" DeBruyne
    Richard "Tarnsman" Frei
    Kim "Torn" Bach
    Walker "Pavera" Wright
    Trevor "Iori" Primmett
    Bjorn "Vader" Ostmann
    Travers Dunne
    Ed Cripps
    Matthew "Foodles" Edwards
    Brett "Mechadon" Harrell
    Simon "Sirjuddington" Judd
    Matt "RottKing" Cibulas
    Nick "Hobomaster22" Laurent
    John "Tango" Oksasoglu

  • Musicians:

    James "Jimmy" Paddock
    Stuart "Stewboy" Rynn
    Michael "Esselfortium" Mancuso
    Elric "Darkhaven" Sullivan
    Simon "Sirjuddington" Judd

  • Playtesters:

    Boris "dew" Klimes
    hawkwind
    Seele00TextOnly
    James "Phobus" Cresswell
    "Super" Jamie Bainbridge

  • Story:

    Xaser Acheron

There's plenty of monsters; wicked traps; Ultra Violent madness; and beautiful scenery in a pack of 20 promising maps... I'll see you there. Wink

DMFLAGS: 100745252 / 806758400
Skill: Ultra Violence
IWAD: doom2.wad
PWADs: btsx_e1_099e, tskins1e, miekskins-r3, tns70
Maps: 01-23, 31
Lives: 1
Players: 20/50
Item Respawn Time: 60 Seconds
Player Join Limit: 5 Minutes

The Euro session starts at 20:00 GMT (that's 15:00 EST)
The US session starts at 20:00 EST (that's 01:00 GMT)


Last edited by Evolution on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Memfis
Unstoppable!


Joined: 29 Oct 2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TNS #70 - Back to Saturn X Episode I: Get Out Of My Stat Reply with quote

Evolution wrote:
We're also trialing the "Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project" a wad file by Revenant100.

Hmm, does it work together with btsx? If I understand correctly, all sprites were retouched in btsx to work better with the new palette. So if you override them some colors will look crappy. I'm not an expert in this stuff though, maybe I'm wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dewww
Spamming!


Joined: 29 Dec 2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memfis is right, you're risking that the palette swap will make your new sprites look silly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Evolution
Spamming!


Joined: 06 Sep 2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, best not use them together. Cheers for letting me know!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Krystle
has entered the game!


Joined: 05 Apr 2012
Location: In the Pit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only ones that misses transparent pigs / players? ;_;

I dunno why, probably my fangirlism for PSX doom.

Speaking of which...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Evolution
Spamming!


Joined: 06 Sep 2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krystle wrote:
Am I the only ones that misses transparent pigs / players? ;_;
Oh, hey, good thing you reminded me! tns70.wad should take care of it. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Memfis
Unstoppable!


Joined: 29 Oct 2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a funny thing I noticed: PWADs:SihR2fix, tskins1e, miekskins-r3, tns70
what? Smile
Krystle wrote:
Am I the only ones that misses transparent pigs / players? ;_;

Eh, what is that exactly?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krystle
has entered the game!


Joined: 05 Apr 2012
Location: In the Pit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memfis wrote:

Krystle wrote:
Am I the only ones that misses transparent pigs / players? ;_;

Eh, what is that exactly?


Y'know, like how the pigs / pinkies were like in PSX Doom, and how they were... god, how long ago was that? D2Reloaded, I think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Evolution
Spamming!


Joined: 06 Sep 2005

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me and worsty made pinkies and players translucent, not just fuzzy; and invis were put into the inventory rather than consumed on pickup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
dewww
Spamming!


Joined: 29 Dec 2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution wrote:
Yeah, me and worsty made pinkies and players translucent, not just fuzzy; and invis were put into the inventory rather than consumed on pickup.

i don't care about the translucency, but i think that sort of invis treatment is lame in a wad advertising strict vanilla compatability. for example the invis in map05 is MEANT to be a punishment if you're careless enough to pick it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Evolution
Spamming!


Joined: 06 Sep 2005

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewww wrote:
Evolution wrote:
Yeah, me and worsty made pinkies and players translucent, not just fuzzy; and invis were put into the inventory rather than consumed on pickup.

i don't care about the translucency, but i think that sort of invis treatment is lame in a wad advertising strict vanilla compatability. for example the invis in map05 is MEANT to be a punishment if you're careless enough to pick it up.

Fair point, we'll save it for another time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
dewww
Spamming!


Joined: 29 Dec 2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, good sir!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rhinoduck
Potatoes


Joined: 22 Oct 2012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pick, Evo! This wad looks great and I am a sucker for those lighter shades of blue:) Looking forward to this!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anima Zero
Dominating!


Joined: 18 Oct 2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, a wad I have 0% knowledge in playing. That means you all will probably hear Beginner yell "GJ ANIMA" quite a bit, heh.

EDIT: A quick check through every level via idclev'ing and seeing the start of each map...

Map 8, 16, 22: Unless there's a super special "everyone dies" section, I don't see the point in these maps when there's no monsters, enemies, or items. Just an empty map for the player to stumble through to reach the next actual map.

Map 24: This entire map? A small black box of darkness/placeholder map/something I missed. You could drop this one entirely (Though a reoccurence of what happened at the end of UAC Ultra would be oddly hilarious to see again).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krystle
has entered the game!


Joined: 05 Apr 2012
Location: In the Pit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just meant the translucency.

Never cared about 'hitting enter to use Invisibility.'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dewww
Spamming!


Joined: 29 Dec 2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anima Zero wrote:
Map 8, 16, 22: Unless there's a super special "everyone dies" section, I don't see the point in these maps when there's no monsters, enemies, or items. Just an empty map for the player to stumble through to reach the next actual map.

those are hubmaps. originally they were meant to pad the maplist so that the episode would reach all the intermission text screens, but then maps kept pouring in and this reason became redundant. now they're just pretty little intermezzos between what we called map clusters.

Anima Zero wrote:
Map 24: This entire map? A small black box of darkness/placeholder map/something I missed. You could drop this one entirely (Though a reoccurence of what happened at the end of UAC Ultra would be oddly hilarious to see again).

cmon, this one you could've guessed! scythe2 did the same trick before erik finished the last few maps. it stops vanilla from progressing into stock maps, which is rather desired, considering how stock textures look with the new palette. :) little spoiler: there's going to be uacultra-ish byebye map in the final release, it wasn't ready for the .99 release.
...but yeah, this map can be removed from playlist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spacepirate
AssPants


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Location: que pasa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome YO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rhinoduck
Potatoes


Joined: 22 Oct 2012

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewww wrote:
Anima Zero wrote:
Map 8, 16, 22: Unless there's a super special "everyone dies" section, I don't see the point in these maps when there's no monsters, enemies, or items. Just an empty map for the player to stumble through to reach the next actual map.

those are hubmaps. originally they were meant to pad the maplist so that the episode would reach all the intermission text screens, but then maps kept pouring in and this reason became redundant. now they're just pretty little intermezzos between what we called map clusters.


I wanted to keep these in because they don't break the gameplay and are not just square rooms with an exit switch. The exit location in map22 even continues to the start location of map23. Besides, I have a few ideas of how to use these in pain rotation if you want deaths, Anima:)

dewww wrote:
Anima Zero wrote:
Map 24: This entire map? A small black box of darkness/placeholder map/something I missed. You could drop this one entirely (Though a reoccurence of what happened at the end of UAC Ultra would be oddly hilarious to see again).

cmon, this one you could've guessed! scythe2 did the same trick before erik finished the last few maps. it stops vanilla from progressing into stock maps, which is rather desired, considering how stock textures look with the new palette. :) little spoiler: there's going to be uacultra-ish byebye map in the final release, it wasn't ready for the .99 release.
...but yeah, this map can be removed from playlist.


My bad, I've noticed the map but for some reason I kept calling it map25 in my mind. Thanks for pointing it out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anima Zero
Dominating!


Joined: 18 Oct 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhinoduck wrote:
I wanted to keep these in because they don't break the gameplay and are not just square rooms with an exit switch. The exit location in map22 even continues to the start location of map23. Besides, I have a few ideas of how to use these in pain rotation if you want deaths, Anima:)

Ok keep them in, heh. I'm expecting Kaizo Mario World levels of deaths for those maps in the pain rota, you hear me ;P?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dewww
Spamming!


Joined: 29 Dec 2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was really thrilled about the first rotation, it was so much fun watching the rampaging horde of doomguys push their way through...

and then the second rotation was one of the worst, most boring things i've witnessed in TNS. the respawn flag utterly destroyed any sense of progression, because the surviving players were busy killing THE SAME monsters over and over again in THE SAME areas. hinting the player where to go with a trail of monsters? ruined. it was basically just waiting for some guy to stumble through the map at random... or get an afrit spawned behind his ass and wave goodbye. what pisses me off, i did warn you very vocally, to the point of being rude. i don't claim powers over the TNS, so hey, no need to listen to my whining... but the other players didn't really like it either, did they? get. a. clue.

EDIT: a thousand thanks to beginner for being a busy little playtester. good eye!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group