ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDaemon FAQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: ZDaemon FAQ Reply with quote

ZDaemon FAQ

1. Where can I obtain doom2.wad?
    Check the Commercial WADs section.

2. 'Why can I not see the in-game chat messages anymore?
    You probably disabled the messages. To enable them again just hit F8.

3. 'How do I enable/disable fullscreen or change the resolution?
    Open the menu and go to "Options->Video Mode". There you can toggle fullscreen and change
    the resolution.

4. 'I am using a high resolution and the text looks too small and is hard to read now.
    Open the menu and go to "Options->Display Options->Fonts". There you can adjust the size
    of the individual message types.

5. 'Why do the colors in-game look 'washed out'/too dark?
    Open the menu and go to "Options->Display Options->Brightness". If you prefer the gloomy
    Doom look, lower it. For competitive play you might want to use a higher gamma.

6. 'How do I enable/disable the fancy visual effects that were not part of classic Doom?
    Open the menu and go to "Options->Display Options->ZDoom eye candy" and change it.

7. 'How do I enable/disable the list of player names in the lower left corner (sitrep)?
    Open the menu and go to "Options->Display Options->Sitrep" and change it.

8. 'How do I enable/disable the radar in the upper right corner?
    Open the menu and go to "Options->Display Options->Team Radar" and change it.

9. 'How do I enable/disable the Picture in Picture feature when watching a duel?
    Open the menu and go to "Options->Display Options->Picture in Picture" and change it.

10. 'How do I disable the automated taunts/insults that play when I'm killed by another player?
    Open the menu and go to "Options->Sound Options->Taunt Volume" and move the slider completely to
    the left.

11. 'How do I use voice chat or mute another player?
    Read the 'QUICK INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLIENTS' in the ZDaemon Voice Chat Document.

12. 'Why can I not alias anymore by changing my in-game name with the +name command?
    Read this article about aliasing.

13. 'Why does SSAA make the game lag and run very slow?
    Note that SSAA is meant to be used with low resolutions around 640x480! The visual improvement for
    higher resolutions is negligible and will just consume a lot of CPU time. 2 x SSAA will be sufficient
    in most cases. Higher SSAA values will again be very heavy on the CPU if it is not strong enough.

14. 'Why do the ZDaemon Auto-Updates always fail to install for me?
    You are probably using Windows Vista/7 and installed ZDaemon at C:\Program Files.
    You should install ZDaemon somewhere outside the Program Files directory
    instead and the Auto-Updates will work. If you must install in that directory you
    need to disable the Windows User Account Control (UAC)!

15. 'How can I select my weapons by pressing other keys than the number keys 1-7 (e.g. the numpad number keys)?
    To select the weapons with different keys you will have to define 7 new binds. The Client Information
    lists all bindable keys. If, for example, you want to select your weapons with the numpad
    number keys you would open the console and enter the following command:
    bind kp1 "slot 1"; bind kp2 "slot 2"; bind kp3 "slot 3"; bind kp4 "slot 4"; bind kp5 "slot 5"; bind kp6 "slot 6"; bind kp7 "slot 7" .

16. 'I want to play using 320x200, but the scoreboard doesn't fit on screen anymore!
    The scoreboard and other ZDaemon HUD features were optimized for 640x400 and up. To still
    play in 320x200 while the scoreboard and HUD remain in 640x400 first go to "Options->Video Mode"
    and select 640x400. Next open the console and type "r_detail 3" (without the quotes) to enable
    pixel doubling. Welcome to 1993! When you decide to change back to a 'sane' resolution do not
    forget to disable the pixel doubling by setting r_detail to 0 again.

17. 'Is there a list of all options and commands?
    Check the Client Information and Server Information for a raw uncommented list of all command line
    parameters, CCMDs, CVARs and more.

18. 'Are the new zdd demos auto compressed and don't need to be zipped any more?
    No. To compress demos (old or new) you have to open them in the ZD Demo Tool (ZDDemoTool.exe) that
    can be started from the ZLauncher "Local->Edit / Convert Demos...", add metadata if you wish and save them.
    The zdd file will be auto-compressed and no further compression like zip/rar is needed when distributing
    them thereafter to save space. There is one exception to the above rule: the server-side demos
    (ie., demos recorded by the server itself) are already compressed; there is no need (and no way) to recompress them.

19. Why are players skipping around the map and are hard to hit?
    ZDaemon 1.09 introduced a new feature that allows clients to determine how often they receive enemy
    player position updates. In 1.08 you would get position updates every two ticks. In 1.09 you can
    additionally ask for updates on every tick or every three ticks. The new default for 1.09 is to
    receive updates on every tick for maximal smoothness in enemy movement.
    There are three possible causes for skipping players:
    1. You set the update rate to coarse (update every 3 ticks). Set it to fine.
    2. You are using a fine (update every tick) update rate, but your connection is too slow and chokes.
      Try a normal (update every 2 ticks) update rate.
    3. Your connection simply sucks and none of the update rates work for you.

20. 'Why does the blood appear later than the bullet puffs when I shoot someone with a hitscan weapon (e.g., shotgun)?
    The bullet puffs are predicted by the client to save bandwidth and to aid the players aim by
    giving an instant response about where the shot landed. This can be very helpful when no
    crosshair is allowed (e.g., classic games). On the other hand, when a player gets hit by a shot
    the damage confirmation (blood) is sent by the server which causes the visual delay. This cannot
    be predicted by the client since only the server is assigning damages in-game.

Last edited by phenex2 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the FAQ with some new info!
If you can think of more questions that should be added to the FAQ just post in this thread!
Tenchu
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ZDaemon FAQ Reply with quote

edit: yay for good devs Very Happy

Last edited by Tenchu on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries. check this article. zdaemon is able to handle all official doom versions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: