ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NS] 0-X Duel Beta #2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: [NS] 0-X Duel Beta #2 Reply with quote

0-X Duel
"When Quake meets Doom, you get CDuel. When Oxyde meets CDuel, you get 0-X Duel."

Hello everyone!
Today I present you 0-X Duel, a new-school CDuel-inspired map. This level focuses on a heavy use of jumping and tricky rocket use. You remember that Quake fragmovie with air-shot rockets? Well you can now do that in Doom too!
How is that possible? Well thanks to Nero, for the Dehacked rocket behavior and the lightning-fast chaingun. This makes SSG rapes a lot less efficient and offers much more tactical gameplay.

Feel like playing this crap? Then here's what you need to know...
Recommended 1.08 DMFlags:
DMFlags 1: 283724
DMFlags 2: 168951809
Recommended 1.09 DMFlags:
DMFlags 1: 17060940
DMFlags 2: 168968193
Various settings:
sv_gravity 700
sv_aircontrol 0.00390625
sv_splashfactor 0.4

To download it, click here !
I currently have a server running on 1.08 if you feel like testing. See the link below:
zds://88.167.31.51:10666

Any feedback is appreciated. Smile

Last edited by Oxyde on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gyrossman
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a NS league map, automatically. Expect Nero to give you his approval of awesomeness, when he gets back. I played a few rounds yesterday and I like it a lot. Is the splash-damage problem fixed now?

Anyhow, the map design kicks ass - the options seem to be endless here, since from every spot you have about three or more ways how to escape. That balances those fast rockets a bit. I just love that adrenaline rush, when you finally lose your healthy stack, after being dominating for the whole round and now you gotta run and get those medikits and green armor, to be somehow capable to get into fight for those crucial items. These situations can drag forever, though: the 200/200 guy wants to keep whoring items and the 100/100 dude is happy he can sit on his lead. This is why I would go with setting up a time limit, instead of frag limit, but this is more of a general-ruling and has very little to do with an actual map. From spectators points of view, I'd like to force players to make something happen and to take chances. In case you will have a server for this up, think about.

I hope I can playtest this stuff with some QL-enthusiast, although I'm more than sure I'll get man-handled.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful map. Really looks great. Great layout. I like that it's open with but still has plenty of twists and turns.

My initial concern in first looking at the map was the abundance of health pickups. After playing a (horribly embarassing) round, it seems to me that the amount of health really depends on who's playing. I could see the match dragging on as players diligently hoover up health and armor, as Gyrossman said. It didn't effect my game much, and the strategy around the duel could revolve around controlling the soul sphere and mega armor spawn. So, that issue is pretty much resolved for me.

The other concern was that it might be too big for 1on1 and better suited to ffa. Not so, although, as we discussed in game, it would be good for a 3-4 player ffa or 2on2 tdm.

So my only issues are, that the jump for the plasma seems to be a bit harder than the jump for the bfg. The other is ssg and rl placements. The rocket launchers are a bit out of the way and the ssgs are placed along the course of movement. If you wish to feature rocket play in this map, I would consider swapping rocket and ssg spawn spots, or making players work a bit harder for their ssgs.

Anyways, only minor issues. Great job, and I hope to see more!

Op-Cow
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Jizz-Cakes. Review coming soon!
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle-Eye wrote:
Holy Jizz-Cakes. Review coming soon!

Nero: and titans_megadm review ? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Good job Oxyde, although iam not the fan of NS maps, this looks very interesting.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hello sexy new NS map! I'll firstly like to say this will definitely be in the new NS League, and it's one hell of a stunning map to look at. It seems to flow very well and I can sense a low fraglimit, or a 10/15minute timelimit as suggested by Gyross would make the map feel a lot more playable - I could easily see a 15minute match only ending 15-12 on frags Smile.

There seems a lot of different places to hide, places to run about gaining health, countless armor hits and a soulsphere easily accessible! This, to me, all adds up to be one tough map to play on. I'm not too keen on the backpack as it means that combined with plasma/bfg means an absolute rapefest of the bfg around the whole map!

I disagree with Op-Cow in regards to the placement of RL/SSG, for the league we'll be using fastchainandrockets so I can only assume that's why those particular weapons are placed a little outreach? I am still concerned that the bfg will be a little too overpowering in this map and the rockets won't be as effective as other maps (CDuel, Xc7) because the 0-X is wide and very open it could lead to a bfg doom.

Overall this map is very unique and it'd be great to see some mappers follow this lead, looking forward to seeing some top tier matches being played here and seeing how the map really flows when it's serious business!

81%

Nero
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: